Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Light maintenance... results??.. not as expected

Yesterday I did two DIY.

1) I cleaned the ISV as the engine surges on cold start. Dismantled in no time, Made sparkling with brake cleaning spray and reinstalled... Checked all hoses and clamps for leaks.. none found. Start engine--- still surges. Any suggestions?

2) Clutch has been squeaking and its previous smooth action is now not so smooth! So I did the clutch slave bleed. Reaching the bleed nipple is as much a PITA as I remembered. Drove the beauty and verily, the clutch action is now smooth again. The squeak is still there. Where do I go now? Noise is from the transmission area. BTW, the slave cylinder has 1400 kms since new.

Suggestions anyone.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump...

Suggestions??
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd love to help JP but I have the same issue, hunting when cold afterwards rocksteady.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) When did you last time change spark plugs? Or Distributor caprs & rotors? If long ago, this might be a problem. Althogu this isn't why you have roughness, I often have roughness if I haven't driven for a while but then it goes away when start driving again.

2) The typical reason would be slave but since that was changed 1400 kms ago... Did you bleed just a little or throughly and also bled the brakes at the same time? If not there could still be some old fluid in the system. I'd bleed the clutch again (especially since it's so much fun!) and see how it goes.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Try putting a dab of grease on the end of the slave cylinder rod. It pushes into the cup on the clutch release fork. This is metal-to-metal contact, so maybe that is where your squeek is coming from.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kris,

I am an expert at ISV cleaning. Bring your car over. 15 minutes... done.

FF: Thanks for the tip. I bled the clutch only. Lots. 1/4 liter! Will do the brakes tomorrow.

Fister: Thanks.. you mean I got to remove that sucker again???
Old 06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fister is right, but I wouldn't worry about it. Slave R&R is no fun. I can live live with the squeaking until I pull the engine out next.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
1) When did you last time change spark plugs? Or Distributor caprs & rotors? If long ago, this might be a problem. Althogu this isn't why you have roughness, I often have roughness if I haven't driven for a while but then it goes away when start driving again....
My car has had a rough idle -if the AC is off - since I bought it 4 years and 23K miles ago. Cleaning the ISV, new plugs, rotor, caps, etc made no change in the idling, altho the latter they helped low end torque and stalling a lot.

I just leave the AC on.

Good luck on the clutch squeek.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Pete,

With your rough idle do you get any unusual exhaust noises (like mild backfires) etc? Any CELs? Just asking since mine has a rough idle and I now suspect its worn valve guides.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Some of the rough idles (hunting) come from vaccum leaks, other times it's a over-richening and then leaning out of the injection system, this can be caused from the vacuum leaks or MAF issues, or other issues affecting the mixture of the fuel (02 sensor, fuel mapping, fuel quality..) Doing mods (exhaust, LWF) without reflecting them in the chip can also cause this to happen..

Coleman,.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:07 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Fister is right, but I wouldn't worry about it. Slave R&R is no fun. I can live live with the squeaking until I pull the engine out next.
You got that right! Engine coming out next winter for noisy lifter.. plugs will be "while you're in there"...
Old 06-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coleman
Some of the rough idles (hunting) come from vaccum leaks, other times it's a over-richening and then leaning out of the injection system, this can be caused from the vacuum leaks or MAF issues, or other issues affecting the mixture of the fuel (02 sensor, fuel mapping, fuel quality..) Doing mods (exhaust, LWF) without reflecting them in the chip can also cause this to happen..

Coleman,.
This might be an explanation as the engine is running rich. The surging happens only on a cold start. Engine runs fine in all other respects. Car has 28K miles. Will double check the vacuum lines. Thks for the tip.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Monique
You got that right! Engine coming out next winter for noisy lifter.. plugs will be "while you're in there"...
Not to hi-jack your thread, just wondering why you would pull the motor for lifters? The exhaust are simple to get to, the intakes may be a bit more challanging, but I understand from Steve W that it is possible.....with motor in.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

If cleaning the ISV didn't do much, might try replacing it. Happened to me on my old Audi Coupe; stalling/rough idle not cured by cleaning the ISV. Replacing it did. Then again, I was getting the stalling when the car was hot or cold.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ray,

Will keep that in mind too.

992 in NC: I know but I want to get totally **** about cleaning the engine, replacing plugs and wires.

Might include the clutch slave cylinder... too much PITA doing all these with engine in. Then my old buddy Toga might offer to help...???

Quick Reply: Light maintenance... results??.. not as expected