Sponsored by:

Getting Car Jacked

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts
Default Getting Car Jacked

How many of you are concerned about getting car jacked?

I know a lot depends on location and time of day (or night), but it bugs me (and my wife) from time to time.

Anyone had that experience?

Maybe the 993 is too high a profile car, so worrying about it is stupid. If it were to happen I would not be too concerned about my car. In fact, the only thing I could care less about would be the perp(s) that would do such a thing.

Marv
Old 06-04-2005, 06:25 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once had my Car Jilled when it rolled down a hill. (-%

tino
Old 06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that only the guys driving white p-cars have anything to worry about...as word is on the street about the extra HP thing
Old 06-04-2005, 09:45 PM
24FPS
Drifting

have a good friend who actually had a couple guys follow him & his gf back home & they took his cab & wallet @ gunpoint. (here in l.a., bh area). also, another buddy who was nabbed @ an "atm" off wilshire around 11pm... mos.later found dead. (both cases gang related)

i've always left some space when coming to a stop light & keep rollin'... once early in the mornin' in hollywood had a guy holding A 2X4 walk toward shouting, "you're one of those smart motha'f-er's huh?!" (as i kept moving). can you say GONE?
now i really try to avoid driving between 11pm & 4am. ... also a good idea as there are more dui peeps on the road @ that time as well.

fortunately car-jackings are not as frequent as the news media leads us to believe. here in l.a. we have more of a problem w/ random highway shootings. (& copycats) -sad.

all in all it's just a great rule to always assess the area around you. my $0.02
Old 06-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Since my 993 almost never sees the street, I'm not worried at all. No matter what I drive, I try to be alert for things that might impede my forward progress like thugz, cops, hot girls.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After the Rodney King riots, I had a strong uncomfortable feeling of very exposed in my cab (a Saab 900 turbo at that time). These days I don't feel that way. My car is street only and at nearly 106,000 miles, I drive it lots, mostly on the highways, at speeds that even the fastest banger would have trouble matching.

But I do stay very aware of what's going on around me, and will bolt at the first sign of trouble. No ATM's after dark for me.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark, I just went to one of your "Racing Supporters" sites in your sig. I can type this now as I have just finished laughing my *** off!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:09 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a monkey in the trunk. If approached I will give him the key and walk away.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

24fps! OMG! I was coming down Chautauqua in Pacific Palisades last fall, and right at the turn to get on PCH a guy did not like us, thought we cut him off, which we did not but . . . He rolled his truck in front of us, blocking both south lanes, got out of his truck filled with day laborers picked up a really big 2X4 and came after us in a complete rage, eyes spinning like mad, screaming "You MF Porsche guys think you own the MF road, well, this will teach you, you wanna get hurt, well here we go." Or something very similar. This guy was like 6'5 and 300 lbs. I kid you not. Not much scares me but, as we were strapped in my friends new to him C4S with sport seats, we could not move, and I was sweating bullets. Nowhere to go and no time to even get out to defend ourselves, no chance to hit 911 (as if you could get through anyway) as 2X4 man blocked both lanes of traffic with his big stake truck and had us positioned perpendicular to him. At the end of the day, traffic snaked up behind us and people were honking like mad and the guy after a few wild swings, missing the windshield by inches, went back to his truck. I just kept whispering under my breath to my friend, "Agree with him, just let it lie, appease, no attitude, and let's get out of here as soon as they move." In the end, IMO, it was his lucky day. I have many a friend who carry protection as it were and anyone approaching in a menacing fashion, with a clear intent to do harm, swinging a six foot 2X4 at the windshield would have found themselves in a body bag. Without even a second thought.

We were speechless after the event and very shaken. Suffice it to say, I have been threatened I would be shot, had friends "engage" with jackers/gang elements on the 405 and in Santa Monica, been cornered by a gang in cars off Laurel Cyn./Sunset and had a window (not the P car) punched out by a very solid jail tattooed fist/arm, and seen a guy get pulled out of a car and beaten with a pipe at Westwood Blvd. and Wilshire. As such, in traffic, I am the most flexible mild mannered driver you will ever see. In the P car, that much more so. Just too many crazy people and I refuse to arm myself. It's also a felony if your do not have a special permit. My caveat to LA driving, "Give 'em as much room as they need, no egos, ever, and always let them win when it comes to the road rage thing."

That said, what a wonderful drive I had up in Malibu this morning. Even ran into Gov. Arnie at the rock store!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Mark, I just went to one of your "Racing Supporters" sites in your sig. I can type this now as I have just finished laughing my *** off!
Fred,

Cool. The website owner taps into a something we have all have felt at times. I have a few bumper stickers if you'd like one.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm insured by SIG Sauer and Federal Hydrashok for such occasions.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

In Dayton, OH! Just avoid the west side and I'd say you have a better chance of being attacked by a shark... while swimming in the Great Miami river.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Atlanta, I would think that our drivers are so bad and clueless that even if someone came up and got me out of my car, he'd probably just sit there and wonder where the letter "D" is on the transmission, maybe hop and stall it and finally give up
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

With the alarms and immoblizers on my ride, I would love to see a car jacker stall and figure out what to do. Its difficult enough for valet parkers let alone a nervous car jacker.

Of course Salt Lake City isnt the car jacking capital of the US and its pretty easy to spot a Porsche here. Minivans would be better targets because they would blend in better.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a P-car standpoint, you might be a little more susceptible in a market (SoCal?) where the car could be flipped quickly for cash. Otherwise, most jackings are about the cash, quick low-profile transport, or quickly fenced parts (usually, the top vehicles stolen are GM A/B bodies, civics, etc.)

However, I think at it's prudent for someone to be aware of their surroundings at all times, in ANY type of car. Leave yourself some manuvering room at stoplights, keep doors locked, etc.

Of course, a little music from the GLOCKenspiel is a great deterrent!

Quick Reply: Getting Car Jacked