Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car veers slightly to the left under acceleration. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car veers slightly to the left under acceleration. HELP!

Like the title says, the car veers very slightly to the left under hard accelerationa nd then snaps back once off the throttle. I had this problem before on my old car (bmw m3) and it turned out to be a worn rear trailing arm bushing not being able to keep a constant toe specification. Would it be the same deal with my 993? I'm still a noobie when it comes to the 993 so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, should i go ahead and get an alignment first to help trouble shoot the problem or would that just be a waste of money? Thanks guys (and gals).
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you do anything else, check your (especially rear) tyre pressures.

I once had a slow leak on one of my rear tyres and car behaved exactly like you describe.

And while you're "down there", check your lug nuts too.

If it's not that, it's time to start checking suspension components and that everything is tight etc.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ditto to that. Do you regularly check your tire pressure? With low profile tires, a slow leak is not immediately evident.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:04 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had issues like this in the past. Once it was the rear tire pressure on one side that was very low. The other time it was the toe in the rear that was out of spec. A good realignment fixed it right up. Tire pressure is easy to check, after that get the car aligned again.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

BUSTED!!! Your car is really a Honda Civic with a 993 body right?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

If you get the suspension re-aligned, be sure you take it to someone who knows what the kinematic toe is. If they go, "Huh?", take it to another shop.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll check the tire pressure first thing tomorrow. I hope it's something simple like that. I loose sleep when i know there's something wrong with my car. I need help.

Mark, Kinematic toe huh? Sheesh i don't even know what that is.

Jastx, The car is a 993 bodied civic with a supercharger! How else would i get that torque steer? lol.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
...Mark, Kinematic toe huh? Sheesh i don't even know what that is...
Yeah, and next question is whether they have bubble gauge or not?!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you gotten new tires recently? I had this exact problem and it was a defective rear tire. If the pressures are okay, try switching the rear and see if it goes in the opposite direction. If so, it is the tires.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:37 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Ditto all the above. If nothing shows up, check your tie-rods. I had a similar problem on hard accelleration. Put the front in the air, make sure the steering is locked, and attempt to manually "steer" the car while holding a tire. If the tire moves very much at all, the tie-rod is worn out or has failed on the inside rubber end.

Also, since the tires are probably asymetric, I wouldn't switch them.. it could ruin them in a very short time.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I "resemble those remarks"....
You guys are kidding about supercharged Civics...
"My other car is...." (see below)
I'll show you torque steer ! wheeeeee.....
I only wish there was as good a resource as Rennlist for my Integra to help me sort out tire wear on that since I lowered it and put in urethane suspension bushings.... There is a "Team Integra", but the expertise level is not quite there...

Well - back to what I was doing...starting to replace the oil cooler resistor in the 993 over lunchtime today.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad rear wheel bearing? I'm no expert, but I would think a failing wheel bearing could cause the car to pull toward the effected side. Don't know if this is right, but something else to check!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jimmy,

Have you replaced one of your tires and not both sides, either front or rear ? Check the tread depth , is one side worn more so than the other ? If so, the side with more tread may be pulling the car in that direction due to the other side lacking grip.

May sound silly, but I had a puncture in one tire that was replaced and the car exhibited the same symptoms you describe and it was even more pronounced in the wet. Replaced the other side and the car pulled straight.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Wow, lots and lots of possibilities! So many replies with so much good advice. It's replies like these that make rennlist such a great place. I'll probably trouble shoot this on the weekend if work lets up. Thanks guys!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

In the interest of keeping additional threads down, I'm resurrecting an old thread that mimics my issue exactly. This is a new to me 993. It is Robin Sun's original car so I know it has been properly cared for (two additional owners) but wrong just the same. I have not taken the wheels off and inspected the control links but tire pressures are at optimum values. Could it be motor mounts as well? Any additional information would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Car veers slightly to the left under acceleration. HELP!