993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Weight loss progarm needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 993 Weight loss progarm needed?

It would more difficult to shave a few pounds off my frame so what suggestions you guys have on reducing the weight on the 993 C4.

Oh, I should say that I have already dealt with the bypass, supercups and turbo wheels. So, what else?

I was going to start with removing the back seats, carpets etc. I know every bit helps. Oh, how much does the AC and bracket, etc weigh?

TIA, David

Last edited by HK G36C; 05-05-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David -

I have heard that changing out the stock seats can save some weight.

Scott
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I am looking at momo, recaro, sparco and corbeaus. The longest one way trips I would take would be about 4 to 5 hours, so total comfort is not a must.

Is there a brand or model to avoid all together?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:28 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HK G36C
Thanks, I am looking at momo, recaro, sparco and corbeaus. The longest one way trips I would take would be about 4 to 5 hours, so total comfort is not a must.

Is there a brand or model to avoid all together?
carbon fiber GT3 seats w/o sliders and mounted directly to the floor via Brey-Krause brackets are probably the lightest combo you can get.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a group buy on seats. contact me if you want good pricing. I have GREAT prices on Corbeau...
~Eyal
Old 05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is your weight loss goal and are there certain amenities that you would like to retain?

I can tell you now that the carpet may not be worth the hassle unless you are going all out. A true PITA job.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poorb0yw
What is your weight loss goal and are there certain amenities that you would like to retain?

I can tell you now that the carpet may not be worth the hassle unless you are going all out. A true PITA job.
I think it's still worth the pain and lost fingertip skin!

But like Princeton said, how much are you willing to tear your car apart and what you think you still "need" (stereo, sunroof, a/c, rear seats)?

Changing seats is a good start, easy to do, easy to reverse, no "hacking" and saves a lot of weight.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Seats and wheels probably make the biggest difference. Then a lightweight battery. There are several threads on this in the archives.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the stock seats are crazy heavy. I run Sparco seats in the rally car and they saved abouit 50-70 lbs instantly. But they are non-adjustable types and are very light. On a 993 - that would mean loss of access to the rear seats.

Any seat with a tilt mechanism won't provide the mega weight savings due to the tilt mechanism itself.

For longer trips, consider a "Frame" racing seat as opposed to a shell seat. Frame seats have much more give and are therefore more comfy. I've spent 12-15 houirs in the rally car in total comfort.

RK
Old 05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm far from being as knowledgeable as many others out there, but I seem to recall reading something about up-grading the front and rear sway bars to thicker, but hollow versions??? Lighter and stronger at the same time???

Scott
Old 05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember something recently regarding the big aluminum (?) hunks of metal behind the front & rear bumpers. Obviously, these are important if you have a boo-boo.... I was going to remove mine, but chickened out.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I remember something recently regarding the big aluminum (?) hunks of metal behind the front & rear bumpers. Obviously, these are important if you have a boo-boo.... I was going to remove mine, but chickened out.
I'm cutting big round holes to them.
You still keet most of the intregity of the piece but it becomes lighter.

I'm also thinking cutting holes to the rear bumper, at least behind the licence plate so at track I'd have little more airflow (cooling).
I'm not sure about that though...
Old 05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

My aluminum inner bumpers and the associated shocks are long gone. They dont fit under my GT2 Evo front bumper or with all the harware I'm adding in the rear anyway.

I've noticed FVD sells aluminum replacements for the shocks that are just meant to crush. They also have carbon kevlar replacements for the big aluminum inner bumpers. Quite pricey tho.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:37 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

what happens if you have to get the car towed from the rear if the frame is removed or cut?

Can I get seat with sliders that bolt to the floor, or I still need the floor bracket. I don't mind having the seat bolted to the floor , but for passenger side I may not be able to get away and would like access to the rear.

So, I will do away, with the spare, pump, jack, carpet and take out the rear seats and as much carpeting as possible. Now, is the insulation glue to the floor?

How much to convert to RS door panel and get manuel windows? thanks, guys...david
Old 05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most of the full shell type seats have side mount brackets that mate up to sliders that bolt to the floor supports. I have my Recaro SPG variants bolted directly on the side brackets to the floor. Some people think they are way too narrow for comfortable street driving tho.

The carpet is actually glued to the insulation and the insulation is then in turn glued to the floor. VERY labor intensive to remove. Removing the carpet and insulation was one of the top 3 worst jobs I've done on my car.

RS door panels are relatively cheap compared to other mods. A good company is AppBiz. I think Viperbob may be a dealer for these.

Quick Reply: 993 Weight loss progarm needed?