Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A sad start to the rumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny small, that last reference was directed specifically to you. The handle fits.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cy
If you want to use Rennlist to build your business, then why don’t you become a Rennlist sponsor like others with the same intention? I’m not sure why you think you should get an exemption. Promoting your business and not paying for the right to do so freeloads off John D’s efforts to build this board and degrades the contributions (monetary and advise) of the sponsors.
I walked down this path several months ago criticizing Alan for his self-promoting tactics. I had the door slammed in my face by other Rennlisters and in the same thread Agro got clipped. Too bad. I think Alan likes to shares his passions for photography and Porsches with those who care to partake. I can respect that.

But take a look at those pointing fingers now....Moderators and the like.

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni
43 posts and registered for 3 months. Yea, you've earned the right to start making comments like that. And telling a moderator what to do? Pretty ballsy.
Radar is a Moderator E.J. ? Really ? Perhaps you could let us know who he is, you obviously know him. Keep talkin'..........mouth.

Careful Alan, you may need a strong defense team with Moderators jumpin' on ya. I suggest retaining Denny Crane for the job.....I hear he knows the Pope !!
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Thanks Keith, I appreciate it. And... I do remember your how hard you were on me so it's nice to consider you a friend now.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe for one minute that those
of us that participated in last weekends
rumble need to defend it in any way. I
personally enjoyed the spirited driving
and at no time felt I or anyone else was
pushed to drive beyond our limits.
Alan, I am extremely grateful for all the
great pics you have posted and hopefully
you will ignore the rantings of the uninformed
and continue to display the talent that so
many of us wish we had. Steve
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Either incident could have been much worse & it's very fortunate neither one was. Perhaps the allure of "[A]pproaching a 90 degree left hander in the middle nowhere, at over triple digits"* ought to be re-examined before someone else runs out of talent on the next "Rumble." Does this disturb anyone else?
I agree. Unless you have the credentials to be doing this, I don't feel it is safe in any way. Go learn it on a track before you do it on the street. Not necessarily for others, since you were in the middle of nowhere, but for your own sake. Not many people without track experience can go cut up near triple digits and be safe.

EDIT: I posted this before I read the rest of the thread, but oh well. I still feel the same way, as obviously the theory didn't quite work out. OTOH, I would have loved to be there, and I'm sure it was a bunch of fun for most.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally Posted by kdurg
Radar is a Moderator E.J. ? Really ? Perhaps you could let us know who he is, you obviously know him. Keep talkin'..........mouth.
Hey Brainiac. Wake up and smell the coffe before you step on your unit with golf spikes.

Here's what I was referring to:

Originally Posted by schnel
We are fortunate to enjoy a unique camaraderie here perhaps Viken would step in and boot this bastard.
Seems like a direct order to a moderator from a guy with 40 some odd posts.

Now who's the mouth?

[edited for spelling]

Last edited by E. J. - 993 Alumni; 05-03-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification E.J., you're so good at whining. My mouth and unit sometimes have a brain of their own beyond my control.....my apologies.

Make sure you don't forget to rate this thread with 4 stars after your post to promote yourself............
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Who the F is whining here? And exactly how am I promoting myself?

With posters like you it doesn't seem like this thread needs any help with promotion.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Alan,

Thanks for the contact number... I'll give him a call. Jodi had x-rays yesterday and everything turned out negative. She stayed home again today just to rest up.

I just want everyone to know (again) that the Rumble was a great event even though I had an accident on the way there. However it was exactly that an "accident." I am always in the middle or towards the back of the pack when I get together with our local group. Furthermore I would never jeopardize the well being or safety of my wife and the mother of my two kids for anything. So please understand that I had an accident and when I refer to expanding my driving skills... I meant that I couldn't recover when I got in trouble because I can tell you that we weren’t going that fast. Steve Abrahams was behind me and he can confirm that. As all of you have seen the curve that the accident happened posted by Jim (jcnesq), it was not a sharp or difficult one... simply laps of my concentration.

However I do agree with Dan that the best place to learn is on the Track.... and not on open HWY. Again just my .02
Old 05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really sad, I quess the name of this thread now has more than one meaning. There has been so much crap tossed into this thread I don't know where to begin; yes I do:

1) Thanks to you ****ERS, Alan has moved his pics. **** you guys for creating so much **** over nothing that the pics are gone and the party is over. Why is the party over? Read on ****ers!

2) I asked Alan not to drive us to his web site to view the pics. Why? Because reviewing the pics with the community and commenting on them with the community is like watching a ball game with a group of friends, seeing a great play and turning to your buddy and saying "did you see that!?!" and then getting to watch the instant replay. It's way more fun looking at the pics together, commenting together, reading the jealous replys of those who live outside CA - it's all part of the fun. As has been said many times before, if you're not interested - don't look. Oh, and **** YOU for turning this thread into this BULL****. The fact that none of you ****ERs live CA has not gone unnoticed.

3) Everytime there is an "incident" the high and mighty climb into their ivory track towers and lecture about driving fast on public roads and how the track is the only place to drive fast. We don't need your lectures, or your invitation. Move on would you. That's a directive, not a question. When an accident happens on the track, it's either driver error, equipment failure or some other aspect of "**** happens" - just like when you are on the street. You are no more alone on the track then you are on open highways with literally no one else on the road for miles - except your fellow Rennlisters, just like on the track - except without the passing. It is no more "ok" to crash on the track then it is on the street if the implecations to self and others are the same.

3a) BTW, NO ONE approached a 90 degree turn at tripple digits - even if someone said they did. That's not what happened to Tony. Tony was probably the 10th of 17 cars to go through that turn. 9 made it through without incident, and without approaching anything like even 6/10.

3b) I have NEVER heard anyone, on any of our "fun runs", ever say "geeeze you're slow" or "did you see how fast I took that turn" or "what took you guys so long". Respect for the roads, respect for each other, respect for all others, respect for the natural beauty that we are priviliged to be driving through is ALL you will EVER hear out of any of us.

4) Some of you sure like to put you nose in other peoples business. As Alan has pointed out, he is not making a living on those photos and the owner of this site even chimed in with his appreciation of Alan's photographic contributions in THIS thread. If they had a problem with the photos, they know how to deal with it and don't need your thoughts on the subject. You don't own the site, leave the management of it to those that do and stay out of their business.

5) You are just a bunch of jealous bastards who live in some god forsaken place and you see us out here having fun with our cars and each other and you just can't deal with it. So you give us **** about the way you think we drive, about posting pictures with "credits" and generally try to make us feel as ****ty as you do. You have ruined this thread with this bull****. You don't like our party, don't come in. You don't like this thread or Alan's pictures with his credit on them, start a new thread about how you feel, don't bring your sick trash in here.

6) Alan, taking your pics down only hurts your friends and gives a victory to the hyenas. This thread now makes no sense and is no fun without them.

7) Thanks to the others for posting more pics, keep them coming.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I don't think Alan is promoting his photography business, he just loves Porsche and he's a DAMN good artist. It's not just a matter of downloading pics from the camera, he uses Photoshop to improvise and make them presentable. It takes time.

C'mon people, if you don't like it, you can skip it.

Alan, please keep posting your art work.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:51 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Wow . . . wow! How did a great post and the reporting of an outstanding event get so out of hand. Listen, we hear about P-Cars losing their rears all the time. As a guy who tracks, as well as one who frequently runs with the crew who went on the trip out of So. Cal, partaking in both conservatively, I can attest that the speeds are always reasonable, cars are staged according to comfort, and driving is under control and always balanced with the terrain encountered. I would suggest those who wish to cast stones or pass judgement get all the facts regarding the off road incident first, without which they have absolutely zero standing to make a peep. Drivers spin our cars all the time, just search the archives. It happens. It goes with owning the car.

As far as the "Alan as Renn list opportunist" situation goes. Alan, you have been down this road before, as have your detractors and the skeptics: My prescription (and do take it please), "A nice full bodied glass of grape, preferably a nice Cabernet or Merlot from Phil's (Fill's) neck of the woods, and let it lie. Do not get baited or drawn in. Just cease to respond. We all enjoy the photos, you have nothing to prove or explain to anyone. I should not have to even say it, but, if you knew this guy, you would know that the last thing he does is make a profit or even grow any kind of business by posting on Rennlist. Pictures are branded with ASG, his site or © symbol simply to denote authorship which is very wise when posting on the www and to allow those who may want a select shot (those from our small So. Cal posse exclusively I might add.) to obtain one. What he does grow are friendships, appreciation, and hopefully the camaraderie that comes with being part of this community.

I respect that everyone is entitled to their opion and that is what makes us a community, but sheesh "Guys, just chill out. For crying out loud!"

Rant over . . . kids screaming, wife screaming ". . . that they need get in the bath "like 20 minutes ago" and you got them in late last night, and you better not be on that blasted Porsche site you're always on again!" BTW: I am the luckiest guy in the world, I just like to poke fun at her and the madness we call bath time! A good evening to all.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread...

What started out as being a good read - certainly turned into a bad read. Why is that?? I have no idea. What I do know for certain is this.....

First - lots of folks add their name on the bottom of images. In fact - in case you want to recall - EVERY forkin' image of the TRG car had one by Bob Chapman. Now Bob is a terrific person, gifted - and took great pictures, but you know what - he wasn't either a "Member" nor a Sponsor. Did I care? Nope. Did you care when I posted his images? Nope. His pictures were great - and at that time, I invested a whole lot of time and effort supporting TRG. His pictures were outstanding.

My point here is - if anyone wants to know who Sponsors this site - just ask me. As Bob Chapman and thousands of others - Alan, I believe just wanted to share what was a terrific weekend.

Second - driving on the public roads. If you weren't there and didn't see it - does your opinion count? I dunno - probably to you - but I'm more inclined to believe those who WERE there. But - that's just me...

Third - I have no idea what's going on in Rennlist lately. Seems the larger the community becomes, the more antagonistic the posts. I wonder why that is?

Just my $0.0002

And oh - I think I can say all this because:
1) I do take pictures, sometimes for prizes and money - and actually have my own gallery, which - if I were like many - would also watermark my stuff. I don't - BUT - that's my choice, as Alan's is to watermark his...

2) I drive on public roads. Sometimes, I actually exceed the posted speed limit. If/when I do - based on this thread - I'll never disclose if anything goes amiss. And I think I can also say that because;

3) I'm also an nationally approved driving instructor. Things happen both on the track as well as on the street. In this thread - I don't think ANYONE said this event was akin to "rice street racing".''

4) I'm also the guy who gets all the private e-mails and ADMIN notes about why folks "won't" become Rennlisters. After reading threads like this, which started out simply great - do you really have to ask them why? No, I don't either...

I guess it's now my $0.0003. Not a flame - just my full $0.0003s' worth, tho'.

John D.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I'm sure i will regret this.........

Ok,
I am newbie.

I happen to read a LOT more than i post. (a better listener makes a better learner)

I post when i think i can help.

I just wish i was fortunate enough to have (what seem to be ) a great bunch of people to go driving with - I am Jealous.(but in a good way!!!!)

I have never met Alan but he has made nothing but nice comments and even made an avatar for me without a request!!! He made me feel welcome. As most of the other people that i have had conversations with here have.....

The photos make it all the better for me as i live thousands of miles away.
I thought RL was an international site - a picture speaks a thousand words.
And seriously - for all those guys with nothing nice to say - surely you are adults and can CHOOSE to not look at the threads.... I know there are some that dont interest me.......but do i whinge, name call and complain????
I understand and VALUE that we all are entitled to our own opinion but this is just MEAN.

I cant comment on the level of driving skill - but sometimes accidents do happen. I dont know Tony but he was man enough to own up to the accident being his own fault. Kudos to him. I know that everytime I have crashed my car or come off the circuit it has been MY fault.

As for the general group - i am just thrilled that you guys are here on Rennlist and give me so much to look at.

Simon.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this is the most heated and childish post I have now read on Rennlist. It is a shame. THe images were great for all of us who werent able to be out there for such a cool event. Why things got so out of control I dont know. I mean all this site is is a place for people to talk about Porsches and why we all like them. To go into such extremes over something so silly I just dont get. It is a shame if Alan has pulled his images. Those of you that accused him know who you are...and now so do all the other people on this board.
What a pity....I feel like I am reading one of the import honda web forums....

Quick Reply: A sad start to the rumble