Sponsored by:

How's Tiptronic on the 993?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 04:06 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's Tiptronic on the 993?

After years of driving "other" cars, my father is looking to get back into a P-car finally! He has a commute and is thinking of a Tip because of that.

I found a beautiful white 1997 C2S with Tip for sale locally. However I have had no experience with Tip transmissions at all.

For those who have a 993 with Tip, what are your impressions? He will be using it for daily driving and I hope to get him out to the occasional DE.

I'm mostly interested in your thoughts on the reliability. I know the 993 are mostly bulletproof otherwise. I used to have a '97 C4S and it was problem free.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:14 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche's Tiptronic system is considered almost bullet proof. Although only 4 speed, and the change can be a bit notchy they don't seem to go wrong.

PJC
Old 04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HooliganX
After years of driving "other" cars, my father is looking to get back into a P-car finally! He has a commute and is thinking of a Tip because of that.

I found a beautiful white 1997 C2S with Tip for sale locally. However I have had no experience with Tip transmissions at all.

For those who have a 993 with Tip, what are your impressions? He will be using it for daily driving and I hope to get him out to the occasional DE.

I'm mostly interested in your thoughts on the reliability. I know the 993 are mostly bulletproof otherwise. I used to have a '97 C4S and it was problem free.

Thanks in advance!
I did a search for you
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/199048-tip-poll-tiptronic-owners-only-please.html
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had never owned an automatic before - and never thought I would ever get one.
For many reasons, I ended up getting a 993 Tip. The main drawback is that it has only 4 gears, and but for that I almost never miss a stick when driven in manual/Tip mode.

I asked around a lot about reliability and gathered that Tip failures/problems are practically unheard of.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:22 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Thanks for the replies and the link to the Tip poll. A lot of great comments there. It looks like the Tip is a great system with few problems. I really hope I can convince him on the white C2S, it looks like an incredible car.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:40 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've put my tip though countless track DE days over the past 6 years and it shows no signs of even the slightest of problems.. I have 30k miles on my car but probably around 10K of them are DE track miles...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Hooligan,

Are you talking about the car at AutoHaus West? I was looking at that car, and the next day they raised the price on me.

Michael
Old 04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

As mentioned above shifts are occasionally "notchy" and somewhat annoying, but otherwise it's a great tranny, especially in stop and go traffic...
Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Jon:

Tiptronics are just tough as hell,.....

Nothing to worry about; just change the fluid once in a awhile and your dad will really enjoy a troublefree car.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:03 AM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by Snowdon
Hooligan,

Are you talking about the car at AutoHaus West? I was looking at that car, and the next day they raised the price on me.

Michael
Yep that is the one. I haven't seen it in person yet just on their web site. Seems a little high asking price on the site, maybe if it sits a while they will become more reasonable.

They also had a blue C2S 6 speed on the web site, did you look at that one too? If so, what did you think of it?

Of course I still need to convince my dad to pull the trigger on one. If I can get him to go look at it in person I think he might.

Thanks again everyone for the comments, I searched and couldn't really find anyone with one who didn't like the Tip. This is why Rennlist ROCKS!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:25 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I visited there last weekend... nothing of note other than a '98 Targa which is very nice....
Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a tip cab and a 6-speed cab. The tip is pretty durable and a very good choice for the RIGHT driving objective but is not as enjoyable as the 6-speed. But my tip cab is in Hong Kong where there is lots of traffic, mostly stop and go driving, and steep hills...very few places for spirited driving where you can open a car up, so the tip is almost perfect here.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

And I had a limited slip built for my Tiptronic.

Quick Reply: How's Tiptronic on the 993?