And now the Porsche Panamera...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default And now the Porsche Panamera...

Porsche Panamera

A four door, four seater sedan from Porsche? Is the Panamera just what the market is waiting for, a purist's nightmare?
This had to come...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:37 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet more.... auto week
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this world coming to?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what should be next from Porsche to shock the audience even more .... a gas-electric hybrid with silicon ****?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this helps Porsche to come back to competition and regain some passion in our hearts...Why not!
My 993 is a keeper for sure, but if I had to buy another exclusive car...well never say never, but Aston Martin would have a good chance! They compete in Le Mans, their cars are really beautifull, and in a close future, it seems they'll have a cheeper model...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that they are planning on using the VW platform. My neighbor just bought a Phaeton. A beautiful car. It seems to have every option possible, even rear seat massage and disappearing vents. I don't know if I am ready to throw $80K at a VW although my neighbor said he got a steep discount.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I was at the NY auto show last week and was amazed at the number of expensive 100k sedans - VW phalon, Audi A8, Massaratti Quattroporte, Maybach, Bentley, the new funny looking MB, etc.
Im not into expensive sedans, but i have to say that if i were going to drop $100k on a sedan, the Masaratti Quattroporte seemed alot better finished and more exotic/fun than a VW

On a related note, i think whoever designed that Chrysler sedan is a genius. It looks like a Bentley, is well equiped, and costs 30-40k.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I cannot see what the problem is so long as they keep doing the good stuff! The Maserati is a superb looking car and the new Mercedes looks great. It's not like these will be made in their millions?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche needs cars like these to stay in the market so they can make the "real" cars like the 911's. Few years ago, if it wasn't for the Boxster, Porsche would have been in big trouble and therefore...no more 911's!

They need mass produced cars that appeal to the bigger masses, so they can also continue to make their "soul" car.

Also, The U.S. is one of the biggest market for any car manufacturer. Look at Alfa Romeo, they could not appeal to the US Market masses, never really made it here, and had to pull out. They are still strugling. Competing in this market means sometimes to follow the lead and provide what the thirsty US market demands...hence the Cayenne...Who ever thought a Porsche SUV???

Let Porsche build as many models as they can. As long as they keep building the 911 with the same passion, quality and soul as the originals, then the rest doesn't really matter. IMO
Old 04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
TargaTango
Racer

It would be great if Porsche was going into fashion 4wds and sedans to make the money that would allow them to do what they did so well and built their reputation on: idiosyncratic sports cars with excellent engineering to last decades and provide a great involving driving experience. The question is whether they are still doing this. My mechanic would argue that the solidity and reliability of construction went with the 996. Maybe they made a decision in the mid 1990's to go the cheaper and more profitable route at the expense of quality. Why for example cannot the 996 engine block reliably support turbo charging resulting in Porsche having to use the 993 block? I have grown up dreaming about Porsches and finally have been lucky to put the money together to get a secondhand 993. I would like to dream that Porsche will make a car better than the 993 based on all the criteria listed above, that I can buy some time in the future. From what I am hearing that is currently not the case. I would love to be wrong. It makes me very sad that something I have long respected and admired would appear to be going the way of most things - compromising quality and their original philosophy for profit.

All the best,
Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After Porsche truck, this is huge improvement from our beloved Mr. W.

It sucks big time that they will share platform with VW (is this being "independent"?!) but compare this thing to Porsche's worst "car" ever, Cayenne and it looks much better: it's a car, it can actually be called sports vechile, name is better and first photoshops look better. I'd take 10 Pameras over Cayenne any day.

I just wish everyone would stop talking about "this will get Porsche back to racing", I've listened that for 6 years now and it's really getting old.

When Porsche gets back racing, it's not because some vechile they sell, it's for other reasons, I mean if Cayenne's sales succesful isn't enough to get Porsche back to Le Sarthe, nothing will be.
When the big bosses realize that Porsche needs to race for developement, marketing, brand image & other reasons, they'll do it, not because some Porsche vechile sells a lot.

I've been hoping one of them would look back and realize that they were actually selling their prototype race cars "back in the days" and that racing prototypes wasn't just "waste of money" like everyone seems to think, they sell succesfully GT-Class race cars and I firmly believe they'd be succesful selling prototypes as well.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
It would be great if Porsche was going into fashion 4wds and sedans to make the money that would allow them to do what they did so well and built their reputation on: idiosyncratic sports cars with excellent engineering to last decades and provide a great involving driving experience. The question is whether they are still doing this. My mechanic would argue that the solidity and reliability of construction went with the 996. Maybe they made a decision in the mid 1990's to go the cheaper and more profitable route at the expense of quality. Why for example cannot the 996 engine block reliably support turbo charging resulting in Porsche having to use the 993 block? I have grown up dreaming about Porsches and finally have been lucky to put the money together to get a secondhand 993. I would like to dream that Porsche will make a car better than the 993 based on all the criteria listed above, that I can buy some time in the future. From what I am hearing that is currently not the case. I would love to be wrong. It makes me very sad that something I have long respected and admired would appear to be going the way of most things - compromising quality and their original philosophy for profit.

All the best,
I know that with 996, Porsche made a change to sell and build 996 "for everyone", and not "for the driver" as 911s before 996 were done.

To be fair though, savings Porsche made (and is all the time try to make more and more) are not all something that results bad quality.
Porsche is trying to save literally everywhere, for example, where as before they might have used to leave lights on during the night inside of the factory if no one is working, now the lights are off etc.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, at least it's not a truck.

Interesting that they're using the Phaeton platform. Probably are getting it at a good price since the Phaeton has been a miserable failure for VW. I'm sure Porsche would have more success with it.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have more to say on this subject, but I'll keep it simple. A Porsche car with 4 doors, yikes. 993 for me, I'll stick with 2 doors and four seats .
Old 04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm with Eric, at least it's not a truck. And I'll cop to admitting that the 989 looked pretty good...

Last edited by ed devinney; 04-06-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: And now the Porsche Panamera...