Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This steering wheel is tempting me so bad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default This steering wheel is tempting me so bad...

Need to do something with my steering wheel...have been going back and forth on this for awhile now...keep it stock looking vs. something different, etc. This RUF steering wheel is REALLY nice. I have seen it, held it in-person...so sweet. People say that this is exactly the same as the other AJUSA, FVD, etc...but I am not so sure.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jonathan,

This is the updated version of the Atiwe wheel that RUF had used for a while now. I love this steering wheel. Fat and grippy. The thumb rest and the grip size are just perfect. You need this wheel. Here's a pic of mine, apologies for the second-rate photo-quality.

Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

DO IT. You can always switch back and sell it to me if you don't like it. DO IT.

Marc
Old 04-05-2005, 08:26 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

you guys are bad for my wallet....

love it.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:43 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah..that is such a nice wheel...if only it was a bit cheaper (prices have been going up on the Ruf and AJUSA wheel the past two years...sigh)
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Sulley,

It is the same sw as AJ-USA sw, and CP's. Horn buttons are different is all and not an improvement IMO. CP's comments are right on - fat and grippy, the perfect sw for your car. You'll love it.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jonathan,

Your problem is that you live too near to the Ruf store.

It looks good though... now if you disable the airbag, you can get this one...

MOOOarf!
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like it. How much are they? Geee...slipery slope...

Get it! As my better half says..."you only live once...what are you waiting for?"
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd like to have a neat-o steering wheel like the RUF, etc.... but, still don't think I want an early rendition of the air bag in my car. Plus, the price of the RUF is a bit steep.

I spoke with my Porsche shop regarding installation of an "air bag free" wheel and his eye brow went up. As I was speaking, I forgot that the feds don't care for disabling the air bag. Penalties and such. We don't have inspections here other than when we buy the car.

Perhaps I could do it myself.... altho, I don't do much more than change tires and add oil. Plus, a couple weeks ago there was a post of a Porsche PN that had an "air bag check" or some such.... I guess that would keep the light off if an air bagless wheel were installed. Or a piece of electrical tape.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:17 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, after you've tried a sports wheel (very thick diameter) its hard to go back to a thin wheel. Have you guys tried the M3 Sport steeringwheel made with Alcantara (psuedo suede). Now that's a material I'd love to have on my steering wheel.

Last edited by texas911; 04-05-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like a quick release Alcantara Momo steering wheel..havent found a good one yet.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I'd like to have a neat-o steering wheel like the RUF, etc.... but, still don't think I want an early rendition of the air bag in my car. Plus, the price of the RUF is a bit steep.

I spoke with my Porsche shop regarding installation of an "air bag free" wheel and his eye brow went up. As I was speaking, I forgot that the feds don't care for disabling the air bag. Penalties and such. We don't have inspections here other than when we buy the car.

Perhaps I could do it myself.... altho, I don't do much more than change tires and add oil. Plus, a couple weeks ago there was a post of a Porsche PN that had an "air bag check" or some such.... I guess that would keep the light off if an air bagless wheel were installed. Or a piece of electrical tape.
i dont understand the comment about the "early rendition of airbag"... are you talking about the RUF in the picture? it's a brand new SW... (?)

for those asking, the RUF wheen pictured is $1500 new (OUCH!)...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i dont understand the comment about the "early rendition of airbag"... are you talking about the RUF in the picture? it's a brand new SW... (?)

for those asking, the RUF wheen pictured is $1500 new (OUCH!)...
What is the difference between the $1500 RUF wheel, and the $800 AJ USA wheel? All I can see are the silver horn buttons, and as someone previously stated...I wouldn't consider those an improvement.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

<<i dont understand the comment about the "early rendition of airbag"... are you talking about the RUF in the picture? it's a brand new SW... (?)

for those asking, the RUF wheen pictured is $1500 new (OUCH!)...>>

Jonathan....

As I understand air bag tech... early air bags EXPLODED at a rate of 180-200 mph. These are not the "smart bags" we have today in cars produced since.... what? ..... 2001? I don't know the exact time frame and it may depend on the maker and what pressure is put on same.

I don't want a bag coming at me at 200 mph when I sit less than 2 feet from it. I had a staff member in my office that had a small accident... at fairly low speed... the air bag in her '99 VW Passet caused serious damage. She had permanent eye damage with a pupil the size of a dime, both eyes were black, her nose was damaged and there were various scrapes here and there. The car was not seriously damaged as she slid into a power pole at around 20 mph. There is litigation to VW....

What I am saying is, I don't like air bags coming at me at high speed. I think that our 993's have "OLD tech" regarding air bag deployment.... but, I could be incorrect. I'm sure someone knows this 1st or 2nd hand... or the setting of our air bags.

Plus, what is the purpose of an air bag for the driver? We have belts... and, I don't think the steering column is gonna come at me at 200 mph. Maybe someone will have better info than I do.

I'm open to all opinions. BTW, I may pay 1500 (U$) for an exhaust system upgrade.... but not for a steering wheel. That is... unless I get a raise!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right, airbags originally had to protect an UNbelted average male driver. That's why its so powerful. Anyway, just keep at least 12 inches from your airbag and you "should" be safe. Women with short legs are very prone to airbag injuries, that's why I always get my wife the lates models (she's petite and now drives a car with power adjustable pedals).

Quick Reply: This steering wheel is tempting me so bad...