Sponsored by:

Stencils vs. Vinyl sticker for brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stencils vs. Vinyl sticker for brake calipers

I recently had my calipers powdercoated and clearcoated. The shop did an ok job, but they put vinyl stickers onto the caliper after the job, with no clearcoating over the sticker. Not sure about longevity of this approach, so I have asked them to do it over again.

I am wondering this time around should I use the vinyl stickers again, but have them clearcoat over them... OR go with the p-car.com recommendation for stencils. Given low price, I have ordered both. I am interested in recommendations either way on this -- stencil vs sticker. It would be great if someone had pics of the final product either way.

What I have found with the vinyl stickers is that they are LARGER than the original OEM Porsche logo. Are the stencils the proper size? Or also large? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the stencil and the results were only ok. They are very small and thin and difficult to layout precisely. Also, several of the letters have a very small piece that needs to be applied by itself. For example, the inside of the P and O.

If you use them, apply very thin coats and let them completely dry before removing the stencil.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I have done this several times, and most recently with my 993 Supercup. I have used the vinyl stickers and then put a clearcoat on top. With the intense heat that the race brakes make, I haven't had any problem. I tried the stencils in the past and found them harder to work with.

Make sure you use high temp clear coat.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Make sure you use high temp clear coat.
Jim, do they sell high temp clearcoat in a rattle can?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes they do Kelly......I have the Dupli-Color high temp engine paint-Clear coat in the spray can...for this very project that I never got around to.......I just bought a new car instead ....Marc
Old 03-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Benton
Drifting

I've had stickers on for about a year without clearcoat, but I would clearcoat them if I was doing it now. I have done three track days so far, 2 with pretty good heat in the brakes. So far, the stickers are still there.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
Yes they do Kelly......I have the Dupli-Color high temp engine paint-Clear coat in the spray can...for this very project that I never got around to.......I just bought a new car instead ....Marc

"Let see, spray can or new car, spray can or new car, spray can..." I like it!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jonathan,

I used the vinyl stickers with the clear coat over top the painted caliper. Looks and works great. The larger PORSCHE script on the vinyl sticker looks better, IMO.

Lots of prep work with the stencils as you have to tape everything up to avoid overspray. Also, if it doesn't come out the way you like, you need to paint over the stencil again and start from scratch.

If you like, I can send you some pics and you can see for yourself and go from there.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

Are you guys painting your calipers due to paint peeling? I just recently noticed some paint peeling on one of my calipers (drivers-front). Is there some kind of paint to do a touch-up of the caliper rather than powercoating/painting the entire caliper?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Hey guys,

Are you guys painting your calipers due to paint peeling? I just recently noticed some paint peeling on one of my calipers (drivers-front). Is there some kind of paint to do a touch-up of the caliper rather than powercoating/painting the entire caliper?
a couple of my calipers were peeling bad... it was an eye-sore compared the rest of the car... there is probably an option to touch-up, but given the pricing, i thought better to just re-do them. i paid $400 to have them powdercoated black, then clearcoated. Other than not clearcoating OVER the stickers, the shop did an ok job. Not sure that I would touch-up, would probably just wait until the $400 made sense... but that is IMHO only...
Old 03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
a couple of my calipers were peeling bad... it was an eye-sore compared the rest of the car... there is probably an option to touch-up, but given the pricing, i thought better to just re-do them. i paid $400 to have them powdercoated black, then clearcoated. Other than not clearcoating OVER the stickers, the shop did an ok job. Not sure that I would touch-up, would probably just wait until the $400 made sense... but that is IMHO only...
Thanks. My peel certainly doesn't sound as severe as your's, looks like maybe in the beginning stages. I will try to post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used the stencils from http://www.europdr.com/ with high temp clear coat. No issues after a couple of DEs and a year of heavy street driving.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought I'd give these a try last year. They have only seen street use but still look like the day I put them on. $17 with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...964764160&rd=1
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are vinyl and I've done 2 DE's and a couple AX's with them with no problems. They were not clearcoated over.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I take it you guys have been painting your brake calipers?....

Quick Reply: Stencils vs. Vinyl sticker for brake calipers