993 Forum 1995-1998

REALLY cloudy brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALLY cloudy brake fluid

I replace the rotors, pads and then flushed the brake fluid in preparation for my first autox tomorrow. I was suprised that the 11mm nipple you use to bleed the calipers had a crackly coating, like a varnish on its rubber cover. The paint on the shoulders where you use the wrench looked completely perfect. This car has had the 15K service done at the dealer (by PO) and 30K service done by a local Porsche shop just under 2 years ago. When I cracked this coating on these things and worked a wrench on marring the beautiful paint, I started bleeding them and the fluid that came out is beyond cloudy, it was kind of terbid (sp?). I had white, grey and brown chunkies coming out of the original fluid and the ATE super blue fluid I was putting in there. I find it hard to believe that in less than 2 years from the last alleged complete change things went this far south. Is this common with these cars? I've had vehicles with fluid that was years older than this and it didn't look anything like this.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 PM
jdoc7
Pro

That doesn't sound good. How many miles on the car total? I sure hope you don't have the dreaded geling of the brake system. Does your ABS work OK?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the fluid has never been changed. Did you get to the point in your bleeding where the fluid came out clear? If not, I'd continue bleeding until it does.

To cut down on the expense of the ATE Blue, buy some cheaper fluid to flush with first, then use the ATE. I use Valvoline Super Syn brake fluid as a flushing fluid then go back and bleed with the ATE when things are clear.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
solsrch
Pro

I don't think it had really gone to the gel state - but it was on its way. ABS seems okay.
Kelly, actually the fluid switched to clear fairly quickly, but the chunkies just kept on coming. After it looked like they were gone I quit for today. I agree, it doesn't look to me like it has ever been changed, but that seems very hard to believe!
I figure I'll give this a whirl for awhile and replace again in a while.

Quick Reply: REALLY cloudy brake fluid