Old 03-17-2005, 02:40 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 993 therapy...

Today, I had to make travel arrangements to attend my Grandmothers funeral.

Last night, we got the phone call that we have been dreading. My Grandmother in Colorado, who, I have been very, very close to, passed away last night. Nothing prepares you for news like this. Needless to say, I didnt go to work today as I needed some time to be alone, to think, grieve etc.

In doing so, hanging out where I spend 90% of my time, I sat there on a bar stool in the garage. Replied on Rennlist, surfed eBay and other various sites, trying to keep myself focused on something, other than the sad news..

One thing that did just this, and did it well, was washing my 993. Today was beautiful, weather wise. Since my car was filthy, covered with powdercoating dust of many colors, I backed her out of the garage and washed it clean. I didnt realize it at the time, but this was damn good therapy, silly as it sounds.

To keep some Porsche content flowing here, I thought I would post some pictures from todays therapy session. I shouldnt admit this, but I catch myself talking to this car from time to time.. Have I totally lost it? Or, do these cars really 'give back' to their caring owners?
Attached Images      
Old 03-17-2005, 02:54 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear your loss. My last grandparent living is my father's mother who was my caregiver when I was a child. I will be devastated when...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, my condolences to you and your family, I know it's a difficult time for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Chris,

Very sorry to hear your loss, my condolences to you and your family during this difficult time. I am glad to hear that you spent the day doing things that you love and enjoy. Keep on keeping on.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 AM
DJD
Instructor

I lost my grandmother many years ago, your post made me think of her and my first Porsche. The car was in San Jose and my grandmother lived in Montery. She picked me up at the airport and drove me to meet the seller. She was the first person to see my ear to ear grin as I tunred the key for the first time. We drove around Carmel and through Santa Cruz the next day, its a great memory. Thanks for your post!!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:18 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the bad news Chris, my condolences. Never had a grandma both were dead before I was born and only had one grandfather that died when I was 13. So remember you are lucky to have had her as long as you did and let that console you.
And... your car and those pics look yummy, nice job.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:40 AM
nman413
Drifting

Chris, I'm very sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you are getting some relief and no, there is nothing strange about it at all...
Old 03-17-2005, 06:50 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your therapy is mine too. thx for the sweet shots chris. love your 993!
-all the best.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Chris, my condolences for your loss, nothing wrong with your 993 therapy session....
Stay strong and God bless.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad news Chris.
All my condolences.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Chris, I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. It is a wonderful thing to have been able to enjoy having a grandparent for so long.
The car looks nice. Good composistion on the pics.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it feels.

You discovered one way to make you feel better, you want to know one even better than that?

Take that yellow beast out for a good long drive, do it over the weekend when there's no traffic.

Start really early, before six at least and just blast on a twisty roads (I'm sure you can find something around there) and while the sun is raising up, keep them revs high and brakes warm, let that flat six scream for joy of driving fast.

Then stop at some nice very quiet place where you can see the sun coming up.

Take a look at the hot air coming through the rear lid and making waves in front of that sun, listen the exhaust "ticking" , think about stuff and let the bad feeling come out.

Then smile because your grandma has been watching you all morning blasting through those roads, seeing the sadness fading little and she's happy to see you, smiling.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chris,

Sorry about your loss. Remember the good times.

Beautiful car and a nice recommended therapy session. Let's catch up next time you are in Las Vegas.

John
Old 03-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Amen, Flying Finn
Old 03-17-2005, 03:27 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about the news. I hope your family gets together often and reminisces about good times past! That's what I do these days with no Grandparents.

I'm sure most of us share in your therapy and stress relief........nothing better then washing and admiring the 993 on a beautiful day. Your car looks great, keep your head up!

Quick Reply: 993 therapy...