Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Have to move on - Selling the 993 this spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 very different cars... I test drove one on Saturday and Jastex's post is dead on above. Great short track car but not so great daily driver. MAN....... but what a kick in the pants for a play toy...... Very responsive and quick above 6K rpm. I thought the 993s were high rev.... WRONG the Elise is more like a sport bike with 4 wheels.

Now I just need to see where to go from here. Like several have said.... be careful what I am getting into.

I cam home after driving the Elise and took the 993 out for a spin..... This is gonna be a tough decision! But I think its still a go based on my gut! An like I said..... I will be back sometime soon in another Porsche.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM
C4S in Rome
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a Elise S2 (in Europe) and now have a 97 C4S. YOu say you live in the mts. and that is where you enjoy driving. In that case nothing I have ever driven can match an Elise. Move outside that very specific area (tight twistys) and the Elise gets killed on every area from build quality to re-sale value.

In short my Elise was like a boat. The two happiest days of my life were the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2005, 02:26 AM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S in Rome
I have owned a Elise S2 (in Europe) and now have a 97 C4S. YOu say you live in the mts. and that is where you enjoy driving. In that case nothing I have ever driven can match an Elise. Move outside that very specific area (tight twistys) and the Elise gets killed on every area from build quality to re-sale value.

In short my Elise was like a boat. The two happiest days of my life were the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

Good luck

Being a former large sailboat owner... I fully understand and can relate to your comment.... In fact.... you may have just sealed the fate of my 993 as a "keeper" rather than jumping ship to an Elise! I tried selling it last year and literally called the buyer as he was en route to buy it. I couldnt do it........to the point I almost made myself sick! Unlike my boat where I went s******ing to the bank after I sold it... Did I say s******ing.... I meant to say gleefully dancing to the bank!

I think you reply just turned the tides for me........I owe you one!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newest Elise solved many of the previous quality issues.. at least this is the opinion on this side.

Many people here have bought the Opel VX220 instead... using the Elise chassis, it is built by Lotus to Opel specs... supposedly better built. Not avail in NA. Sorry. The turbo version at a basic 200 HP is a very tuneable package.

I would consider an Elise in naked form.. just for the fun of it.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 PM
C4S in Rome
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are making the better long term choice. I would suggest you use some of the new money that the Elise would have cost you to take some carting lessons etc. At least I know that for myself I can always learn some new driving skills + you would get some of the Elise "type" driving enjoyment which is ... despite my love for the 993....just not comparable to the Elise in that one small but important tight twisty skill.

Or save up and buy a used Elise in a few years as a toy. I am willing to bet that in 24 months there will be some good deals on the market as people get tired of actually living with an Elise.

And as you said "gleefully dancing to the bank!" that would be a very accurate description of when I sold my Elise.

cheers,

Quick Reply: Have to move on - Selling the 993 this spring