Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 3 hrs of scrubbing my underside....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:54 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it that fresh when it was new?

Chuck, yes, mexico blue
Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jonathan, Great job. Can I ask how you prepped the area before you began cleaning? The lift area is as clean as the car itself. My cleaning experience has always been a zero sum game - the dirt has to go somewhere, usually all over me and my garage.

Dave

Last edited by Dudley; 03-08-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:39 AM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan, Hats off to you. You've really done an unbelievable job. It may not be as perfect as Richards's work, but it is a clear indication of the depth of your obsession. I'm not there yet but I do feel as if the disease is getting worse.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Jonathan.

Mine will not look this good when I am done; in an effort to reduce weight, the wheel well area received almost no paint. Paint is pink instead of GR..
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Dear Mr. Sullivan, everybody is entitled to an opinion right? Well here’s mine, the job you did on your underside is unbelievable. That being said I think you need to see a good shrink and go for some counseling, I’m sorry to say, I think your taking this Porsche stuff a little to seriously. Three hours cleaning the UNDERSIDE, give me a break. Don’t know you, at all but come on man get a life.
Hi Don. Yep, everyone has there own opinion, thats what is great about these boards!

On average I work 60-70 hr weeks and travel approx 70% with the my job... I have been on the "fast track" at my Firm, but sometimes it has been at the expense of taking time for me, relaxing with things that I enjoy. I spent a lot of money (relatively speaking) for this 7 yr old car, and it is in pretty pristine condition. I simply like to take care of my things...have always been that way. Believe me, I spend much more time driving it or washing the topside... this is the first time I have detailed the undercarriage. However, dont knock it until you try it. I found it very satisfying to use my hands this way for a few hours and come out with a clean finished project...very relaxing and rewarding for me personally...but to each their own, right?!

To answer other questions on what I used/how I prepped --

Note: wore two layers of nitrile gloves, long sleeve shirt, cap, glasses (could us goggles), and painters mask

1. Put down tarp below the car to catch all the drippings first.
2. Sprayed down the undercarriage liberally with GUNK orange engine degreaser. Let that sit for several minutes.
3. Used large nylon brush and tooth brush for small nooks/crannies - rubbed/scraped very well.
4. Took shop rags damp with water and wiped off all the GUNK.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 twice
6. Use Castrol Super Clean liberally with brush and rag to get the tough spots.
7. Use 3M adhesive remover on the REALLY tough spots. I love it because it basically disintegrates any grime on contact, but is still safe for the paint.
8. Spritz water and wiping down the entire undercoat. Removes any dried or excess cleaner.
9. Use Mothers metal polish for any metal parts
10. Use Griots Garage Undercarriage Dressing liberally for shine and sparkle

Afterwards, I removed the tarp and (attempted) to help the shop guys mop the floor. They insisted on doing it and did a great job helping me to clean up.

Since this was my first time doing this, the process was probably not as scientific as it could be, but worked for me. Some other products that I know R. Laurie uses: wd-40, 3m imperial hand glaze
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Jonathan -

Sure, I'll take the rotors. They've got some good track life left in them!

Just leave them at RUF and I'll pick them up there. Do you want any $$? If so let me know, if not I'll buy you a beer!

Ben
Old 03-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

[Keanu Reeves voice]: "Whoa..."
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan,

Great work on the chassis parts and underbody, especially for the first try. The cleaning process is cumulative and it gets considerably easier each time you do this. Also, you will learn what works most effectively on the different materials. Don’t worry about driving the car (look who’s talking), occasional clean ups are as easy as blowing the dust off with an air gun followed by a little detail spray with an old towel.

Get ready for the let down, literally, when you put the wheels back on and let the car down on the ground you can’t see all your nice work, but you’ll know it’s there.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
Jonathan -

Sure, I'll take the rotors. They've got some good track life left in them!

Just leave them at RUF and I'll pick them up there. Do you want any $$? If so let me know, if not I'll buy you a beer!

Ben
no, no $$...i owe u anyway for all the good advice during my 993 newbie phase last year....
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 AM
flatair
Racer

Ehh Surfer2001, weren't you the one a while back whining how people were rude and unfriendly on this board?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Didn’t mean to be rude or unfriendly, hey I wash my car more that once a week, and I detail the paint with a professional polisher every Saturday. I guess we all have our own level of this Porsche obsession. I just thought 3 hours cleaning the wheel wells was a little over the top.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 PM
nman413
Drifting

And here I am on the other end of the spectrum... I wash my car maybe 3 times a year

I'll post some pix when I get a chance....
Old 03-08-2005, 02:27 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Didn’t mean to be rude or unfriendly, hey I wash my car more that once a week, and I detail the paint with a professional polisher every Saturday. I guess we all have our own level of this Porsche obsession. I just thought 3 hours cleaning the wheel wells was a little over the top.
Just had to chime in again.

Surfer, you might want to proof read before hitting the send button. I understand what you mean but it reads quite differently. "Get a life" is not the nicest thing to say to someone.

Mr Sullivan, your response was handled with such class, you should be a politian. And... I can dig where you are coming from, very cathardic and **** to boot. Did you rejex those painted parts under there????? You must rejex the shocks at least so they stay purdy Riviera Blue.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick...shrink wrap it before it gets dirty. That is cleaner-than-clean. It is good to keep the engine and trans clean as dirt/oil/grease build up can keep heat in, that is not cool!

LOL
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...I think you need to see a good shrink and go for some counseling, ...come on man get a life.
Wow, that comment is WAY out of line. My hat's off to you Jonathan for being much more polite than I could be if somebody said this to me.

While we're on this topic, let me ask an honest question: wouldn't it be a good idea to leave the cosmoline on? I mean, it protects from rust, no? I've seen lots of guys on Pelican forums going thru such efforts to remove the cosmoline, yet I always wondered if they're not just making their cars more susceptible to rust. I'd rather have dirty wheel wells than clean rusty ones, of course.

Quick Reply: After 3 hrs of scrubbing my underside....(pics)