Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing Undercarriage - Best Products/Process?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Detailing Undercarriage - Best Products/Process?

I sent R. Laurie an email asking about this...as he seems to be the resident expert. My car will be on a lift for a few days and I would like to clean the undercarriage... I plan on using elbow grease, wire brush and rags, some 3M adhesive remover, etc. However, curious if anyone else has done this lately and has tips/tricks for process or products.

I dont expect my car to ever look like this, but it can certainly look better than it does today...First pic is mine taken today, second is Richard's (hope he doesnt mind me posting it off his website)... simply unbelievable the condition of his car...
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2005, 11:52 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan - your car is clean underneath, Richards is immaculate - is it driven?
I just had my car on a lift today, first chance to get to see the undercarriage and the likes of this one, and I was pretty impressed with how clean. It has the driven look but was much cleaner then expected. I too want to clean up a few areas and I would have to work long and hard to it near the second pic. I wouldn't want to drive it after that.

Last edited by CarmG993; 03-06-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Be careful, once you start cleaning, its hard to stop!

For the fender wells, keep in mind there is paint under what grime you have. You fender wells dont look too bad at all.

Use watered down Castrol Super Clean. Get yourself a few rolls of paper towels. Dont use a wire brush, as you may break-down that paint. I use those wooden-handled nylon brushes, about the size of a tooth brush. It is a lot of work, but worth it, IMHO.

The cosmoline is a little tougher to get off. Laquer thinner really cuts-it, but again, pay attention what you use laquer thinner on, its pretty harsh.

Laurier's car is a major inspiration. I marvel at his pictures
Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake cleaner also gets the cosmoline off the metal parts... again, be careful with it.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:51 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yours looks totally clean! Just give it a good wash down!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Jonathan, I would not use a wire brush... instead I would use a very stiff nylon brush and just a bit more elbow grease because of the paint under any grime you might have. My wheel wells started out a mess and about 1 hour per they were in great shape.
Good luck
Old 03-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris Walrod

The cosmoline is a little tougher to get off ...

Originally posted by Jeff96-993

Brake cleaner also gets the cosmoline off the metal parts ...

Sorry if I am the only one... what the hell is the cosmoline?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
... what the hell is the cosmoline?

German idea of a very bad joke to cover up the beautiful aluminum pieces of the suspension. Actually, Tony, it's a nasty form of undercoating German cars have been using since the beginning of time. It looks like a waxy, brown substance on the suspension and undercarriage. The older it gets, the harder and tougher it seems to become.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Ahh... Mahalo Kelly! I can sleep now and yes I have seen that on my car.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

It is often recommended to steam wash the car underneath thoroughfully.

What you do afterwards depends on your philosophy:

Picture 2 requires much more work (the exhaust is polished! wow!) and this result would be gone after a certain time even under careful driving avoiding snow and salt. This car is a piece of candy ready for the museum or for car shows.

Your car looks already pretty good. In areas where it snows usually Tektyl-wax is recommended to protect the aluminim parts from corrosion. If you know for sure your car would never be exhibited to salt this shouldn't be necessary.

Best regards,

Felix
Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Impressive gang. How can you drive your cars, yet keep that kind of detail up? That is amazing. Mr. S., if my undercarriage looked like yours, I would be quite pleased. Incredible. BTW, when cleaning the cosmoline and other stuff off, wear protective goggles or glasses. Ask me how I know!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I am the furthest thing from a concours guy, but I completely respect guys who want to make their P-cars perfectly pristine. Those pictures are impressive to see.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. my car is a daily driver, although i am usually out of town about 1/2 of any given week...however, it is still driven about 3-4 days per week. Admittedly it doesnt seen rain, snow, or other moisture very often, but I have been caught in unexpected rain a couple of times.

I really enjoy detailing my car. Not as much as driving it mind you, but I do enjoy trying hard to preserve its condition. My undercarriage right now is "dirty" compared to what I would like it to be. I know its all relative, and that it looks pretty clean in the posted picture. However, there are spots underneath with grime, grease, cosmoline, etc that I would like to clean up. Again, not hoping to look like Richard's, but aspire to something in between.

I have picked up some engine degreaser, general cleaner (Castrol), 3M adhesive remover, and nylon brush. Those things combined with some shop rags and water should do the trick I am hoping. I will post pictures when finished...

thanks again for the advice
Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Richard has his exhaust jet-hot coated -- great idea! It should look like that for years to come.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I clean the underside of my race car before every season. I don't go crazy but some engine cleaner, simple green and a few scrub brushes do the trick. It is nice to work on a car without tons of grit and grime buildup.

Quick Reply: Detailing Undercarriage - Best Products/Process?