Sponsored by:

TPC Supercharger Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:56 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPC Supercharger Installation Question

I just got done installing the belt tensioner and supercharger unit. However, upon installation of the belt, the clearance between the tensioner wheel and the fan housing is only about a millimeter (looks a little too close for comfort). I cranked the engine a few times and everything appears to be ok (haven’t stated it yet, still need to reinstall cat. converter). Can one of you guys take a look at your set-up and give me an idea of the approximate clearance on your system? Thanks!

Tried contacting TPC but they must of left for the day.

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TPC guys are at the Daytona 24. Most left on Wednesday.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

This is just one of several undocumented issues. TPC uses a shim ( about 1/16" thick, same as used for front end alignment adjustment) at the lowest most bolt between the spacer and cross member. This will tilt the tensioner away from the fan shroud. It took some care on my part to put this in, not much room. It is surprising how muchn the cross member flexes. It even looks like the the belt is out of alignment, but that is how it goes. I hope the belt is their newer, improved Dayco Dynaflex #490K6! Their other belt, Contnental I think was crap. I had Euroquipe in St. Charles, IL do the install, but TPC is lacking in documentation. Also Euroquipe had to create parts to make it all work.

GOOD LUCK with your install. By the way, I live about 25 miles from TPC and had them do the final fine tuining. 322 rwhp with out a intercooler!!! I love the performance, so will you!!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:15 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Thanks for the FYI Harvey.

mr_brock,

Upon completion of your shim installation, approximately how mush millimeter do you have between your fan housing and the tensioner? BTW, I do have the new belt. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Ken,
When Euroquipe did their install, they cut away an area of the shroud to clear the pulley of the tensioner. That was still not enough. I still added the shim. I just put a straight edge across the cut away and by eyeball, it looks like the clearance is only two millimeters... and that is not much given how much the cross member flexes. I have mixed feelings about the cut out, but it does give good clearance. Euroquipe also had to cut the bar that is part of the lift mechanism for the wing to clear the shaft support portion of the supercharger, not a problem if you have a turbo wing. LOL
Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

John,
Good info... I actually did the same, you detailed it well. Too bad you took off the SC, did you sell it? If you don't live too far from St. Charles, you may want to have Euroquipe reinstall. I have not had any problems so far (knock on wood) and I hope to enjoy this set up for a long time.

Ken, How many miles are on your car? Did you upgrade the ignition coils, new ignition wires? If not, you should along with new caps and rotors for the distributors. I occassonly get check engine light due to erroneous missfire codes. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the dash light. I found it to be annoying and that the light would go out after a while. Small quirk to but up with.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Great info guys, I ended up cutting away a small section of shroud last night. The clearance now looks about right.

John, I'll take that extra belt if you can locate. Thanks!

mr_bock

I have approximately 60K miles on the car. I did not do any ignition upgrate, however, my plugs have less than 10K miles on them. Should have the project completed by game time (LETS GO EAGLES!!!).

Can't wait to test drive!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:47 PM
cecil
Instructor

I used a Tremel tool to grind away a little of the shroud. Watch your belt for a while to make sure it's "happy". You may also want to grind a little of the coil bracket away. When I got on mine right after installation the engine rotating downward under full power would cause the coil bracket to just catch the edge of the sheet steel. I heard this loud bang when I would ease off the gass. It was the coil bracket breaking free from under the sheet steel edge of the back of the hood.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:22 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Let me know how this install turns out. Good Luck...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 AM
KASH '95 993
Racer

The test drive was unbelievable, what a difference. Power everywhere, second and third are the best...you are bumping up on the rev limiter in no time...WOW!!!

Everything looks fine, no rubbing or interference detected so far. Next step is to install a water injection system…
Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kash,

I found a 50:50 % methanol:water injection system to be best. In fact methanol is best but the pump I have can only take 50:50. Had it on my TPC kit now for about 2 years. Mines a modified Aquamist 1s kit that I have changed into a 2 stage system. It might have been better to go straight to the 2S system but that would have meant even more tuing. Works like a dream. If you dont want to go the intercooler route and can put up with refilling the water injection tank once a week then it means you can up your boost a little.

I keep an eye on the detonation and when the water/meth injection cuts in it kills it completely. But I have had to tune the advance and fuel on the 7th injector to compensate for the methanol.

Mark.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Ken, Glad to hear that your install went as planned! As you said, the difference IS unbelievable!!! At what rpm does your rev limiter cut in? I have had mine up to 7200 rpm with no limiter cut in.(?). By the way, when I was bringing my car back from Euroquipe, I wanted to see 'what-it-will-do'. Somewhere in Indiana, in sixth gear, at 6200 rpm, the speedo was pegged at 180 mph! Gott'a Love It.

Mark, I would like to know about how many miles do you get from you Aquamist tank, how big is the tank. I am thinking about an intercooler/water injection set up. What/how did you make your adjustments for the fine tuning. Remap the black box? Did you up your boost? Larger SC pulley? Have you dyno'd your car? Rwhp?

Thanks Guys...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr bock,

I use the screen washer tank as my 50:50 water supply but I also use a priming pump to get water from the front to the back and into the aquamist pump. It helps with water/methanol volumn rather than pressure. This also allows me to watch for the tank running out as it appears on the dash as low washer level.

A very good sight to look at on water/methanol injection is turbobuick.com

I run a 2.6" pulley and a non standard water injection system. First stage kicks in at 4llb pressure, 2nd stage kicks in at 5500 rpm 4lb pressure. I use about a screen wash bottle worth every 2 tank fulls of petrol but this is down to how much right foot I use. In the end you forget about it. The 2S system from aquamist is mappable across the rpm/boost range.

I use the R4 software from split second to mod the black box. But I also use a non standard chip to get a little more advance which is then backed off by the R4 software.

I watch AFR and knock and plan to do exhaust temp but not got around to it yet.

As mines a tip I cannot really say how much hp I get other than I did manage a 0-100 of 9.7s and 12.6 1/4 mile as measured with gtechpro (which are quoted as accurate to .1s). With the 2.6" pulley I got no knock over the complete run (10C outside temp). I think with more mapping theres more still to come but I'm relatively happy with what I've had over the past couple of years (done 34000 so far on this setup).

Mark.

Last edited by Mark.Budgen; 02-07-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:44 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Mark,
Thanks for the input. I will keep this in mind as I figure out what I will do. I will probably talk to TPC. They are selling a air/water intercooler kit for $4k (don't know if that includes install) that is rather involved, running water lines to the front coolers and back....

Thanks, again
Old 02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

mr_bock,

My rev limter has been cutting in at just above 7K rpm. You had that thing up to 180MPH...WOW!!!

BTW, I'm looking at installing a single stage WIS for these guys http://www.coolingmist.com/detail.aspx?pid=01P

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger Installation Question