Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best Sway Bars?

Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sway Bars?

What sways should I buy? they are going on the 98 C2S. I will be primarily street driving, some AXing and at some point I may DE the car.
I have a set of PSS9s, I bought from a felllow RLer, in the garage, in the box on the floor, waiting to be installed. These sways will be paired with them.

Thanks for the opinions guys and gals.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How low do you plan to go with the PSS9s? That will eliminate some choices of sways from what is available.

Have a target ride height in mind?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

What do you mean, How long do I plan to go with the PSS9s?
I will probably leave them on as long as I own the car. Convert everthing back to factory when I sell.

I want the ride height to be a little above Euro. The 911 is euro and I scraped going into the garage until I create a ramp sort of thing.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I was very happy with my RS bars, now sold to solsrch (Joe) and am equally happy with the bigger TRG's. With the RS's, though, I was at the limit of adjustment to maximize stiffness.

The RS's are pricey but are OEM and have zero issues. The TRG's allegedly had noise issues and loosening collars, but I have had no problems with mine, the early problems having been resolved.

There are a number of threads on this, so I would encourage you to do a search on rpos/cons and sizes.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are primarily street driving, why bother with larger sway bars? Stock sizes are still pretty darn good. I'm just playing devil's advocate, here, but it's a reasonable question since installing sway bars will be a pretty expensive thing to do for a relatively small change (notice I don't use the word "benefit" because sway bars are all about compromises. None of your alternatives is "better" than another.)

oh, by the way, I paired the TRG bars with my PSS9's since I think they're a much better value than the RS bars. I personally think TRG's fronts are too large, but it's liveable.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I want to improve handling and ride height. Most people say the sways definately improve handling. I would like the RS bars but they are not a good value. To me anyway. I do have some concerns about the drop link and noise issues with the TRGs. Price value is very good.
ROW M030? ROW M030 Turbo? H & R? Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking Issues

You wrote,"I do have some concerns about the drop link and noise issues with the TRGs."

Last point first, if the TRGs are installed correctly a la the way Viper Bob does it, there will be no noise issues. I had noise issues (clunking), I took ther car to Viper Bob, the noise issues were resolved.

Drop links..first of all the standard TRG set up uses stock front drop links. For my car, on the rear, I purchased the TRG collars and drop links...beautiful pieces of work. No issues to report.

In theory, the collars on the TRGs could come loose and back off...knowing this, I put an Allen wrench to them from time to time...so far no problems.

The TRGs are great bars in my humble opinion.....
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
In theory, the collars on the TRGs could come loose and back off...knowing this, I put an Allen wrench to them from time to time...so far no problems.

The TRGs are great bars in my humble opinion.....
I've been very pleased with the TRG bars and have yet to experience a loosening issue, knock on wood.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For your use, I'd get RS Sway bars.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have a pic of these bars and drop links installed? Looking at them it seems they are not formed like the stock bars or others on the market. I'm wondering how they fit.
I heard VB has some custom made or customized drop links. Is this what you got Martin?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Those are like $2K aren't they?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a pic of the rear PSS9 setup with TRG sways on the car I sold. This shows Porsche RS drop links (I think I paid about $130?) There are a couple problems with this installation, done by Midwest Eurosport in chicago. First, that they mounted the drop link mount so high that I couldn't use the inner-most sway bar adjusting hole. This was a problem. And that they neglected to install the locking collars, which I never noticed. It worked fine without the lock collars, tho I think I was just lucky.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the statements about the TRG bars. As soon as I put on the new collars all noise issues ended. Couldn't be happier with the way the bars feel - I'm sure the RS bars are great but for me the TRG bars were the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 PM
solsrch
Pro

As Mark stated, I've got his old RS sways and love them. Devek (Viper Bob's new roost) had a great Holiday buy on RS sways for Rennlisters. Maybe they'd be willing to come close to their recent price point if you call and talk to them. FYI, you may have to call a few times, I never have any luck getting a call back from them.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Joe. Do you recall the holiday price on the RS sways? I think Gert has them but as I recall they are big bucks. That is why I am leening heavily toward TRGs. Plus so many good things are said about them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Sway Bars?