993 Forum 1995-1998

UPS/ebay saga & need wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPS/ebay saga & need wheel help

First the saga, then the question on wheels.

I have a MY 95 C2 which has 16 inch factory rims. I like most of you think that 16" rims are WAY too small. However, I am cheap, and did no want to fork over the $$ for the wheels I really wanted, so I settled on an EBAY auction of 17" turbo cups. The wheels were advertised and pictured to be in perfect condition. Also, the tires showed to have some decent rubber, a plus until inspected. I bid and got the wheels for a reasonable price +$125 shipping.

I had the wheels shipped to a local UPS storefront. They called my a few days ago and told me that I had 3 wheels to come pickup. 3?.....3!!!! Long storey short, the wheels were shrink wrapped together, 2 to a bundle and mailed. They had cardboard to cover the rims, but other than that were just shrink-wrapped pretty tight. The shrink-wrap busted on one package, and I got a single tire (the one with the label on it!) and the other is lost in some UPS black-hole.

I called the seller, and he had taken the wheels to HIS local UPS storefront and asked them to package the wheels. He paid $75 for the packaging that they performed. He also took insurance of $1000 for the wheels (more than I paid).

So now, I am waiting for the UPS claims guy to come to my house and look at the packaging before I open or do anything else. I am not sure what they will do on the $1000 insurance. At first, you would think 1000/4 = $250/each. But 3 rims alone are worth crap...especially when you need them on the car a week ago. To make matters worse, my current rear tires are way past horrible. I have been holding out for the new rims to buy tires. Now I may be delayed some additional time by the UPS investigation before I know if I will 1. Keep the wheels, 2. need to find a 4th (or will UPS find it). Here are some questions I would appreciate help on.

1. Have you had a similar experience with UPS shipping a set of something (2 seats etc) where one item was lost? How was the insurance handled?

2. Is it possible for me to put the rear 17's on and drive for 2-3 weeks with the front 16's? I hate to do this, but I also hate to pay $350+for new rear tires on 16 inch rims I hate and have no intention of using. I need to drive the car...so I am kinda stuck. Putting the 17's on might look odd, but is that all I will goof up is image for 3 weeks?

3. In my situation would you take $250 for the missing wheel and call it all even or would you demand to get out of the deal and get your money back? I have a lot of concerns about finding 1 front 17" turbo cup wheel, the cost of getting it, and making sure it its the right one for the other 3.

Thanks in advance for your help -
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, very interesting!!! 1st, #3, I don't think the seller is on the hook as he delivered all 4 wheels to UPS. That leaves you to deal with UPS. BUT there is the insurance, the seller put the insurance in your name or his??? If the insurance is in his name, and he can get 1K (as you point out 3 wheels are no good) most likely the seller will refund your money. If UPS balks and only pays $250, I think the seller will give you the $250.

#2 you can put 17's on the rear and 16" on the front but you will really throw off the driving dynamics of your car and most likely create a dangerous situation if you were to drive it. Obviously this is not advisable

I would suggest that you call UPS to get the approx time for a decision, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc then make your decision on replacement tires. It's a lousy situation but a few $$ for tires vs anything that might happen because of driving on worn out tires is a very cheap price to pay. Good luck, keep us informed.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Bobby -

UPS said that they would pay the shipper the insurance. However, this was before they checked to see if he even had paid for any insurance, so it sounded more like standard procedure than a decision made by looking at whose name he put the insurance in.

I asked UPS how long it took them to find missing items, they said usually 2-3 weeks. So I assume it will take 2 - 3 weeks before I know the possible outcome. You are right, $350 is not much to pay for safety. To put it in perspective, my wife and I are both Tax Directors (i.e. - the exciting couple down the street). We have been car pooling for a week now to avoid a dangerous situation or putting the larger wheels on.

One of the worse things is that I really like the wheels now that I see them. I know many of you have 20's, but 17's look huge to me (especially off of the car). Id really just like to have the 4th wheel - in correct condition.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 10:21 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kerrysatx,

Personally I would hang tight for a few days. I ship over 200 packages a day via UPS, trust me I've had my share of problems with them. However your wheel will probably show up in a day or two. Fortunately wheels stick out like sore thumbs, it's the boxes that are more difficult to identify.

chas
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
shrek993
Instructor

i refuse to use UPS anymore....i have had so many problems with lost packages, stuff not even delivered but returned to sender...they are just horrible...good luck
Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem, but with Fedex Ground. I shipped 4 very rare imported wheels 2 to a box. Each box was insured for the cost of 2 wheels. Both boxes were shipped together to the same address but only one box arrived. The other dissolved into thin Fedex air.

Because these were wheels that could not be replaced in kind, the buyer had 2 wheels with no hope to match, making the 2 delivered wheels virtually worthless. But Fedex would only honor the insurance for the one lost box. The buyer was most disappointed (but understanding, so did not injure my Ebay feedback).

I suppose if each box were insured for the value of all 4 wheels, we could have had better results. Lesson learned (the hard way).

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

UPS has screwed me but FedEx screwed me the exact same way. When I tried to explain that Phoenix wasn't exactly a midpoint between Fort Lauderdale and Atlanta he didn't quite know what to say about how my 4th wheel(MY02) and brand new michelin ended up there. I hassled them enough and they finally overnighted it to me so I could have them by the weekend. Just document who you speak with, when and what was said and keep harassing them until they get you your wheel which is what you want.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Kerry,

I bought set of silver 17" factory five spoke rims for my Sequoia last year and had a similar issue. The seller, a Toyota dealer, didn't strap and package the four wheels very well and, as a result, I only received two of them. The seller was very diligent in trying to rectify the situation, but I had to wait for UPS to attempt to find the lost wheels and then had to wait for them to assess the package damage. Fortunately, I wasn't in a huge hurry and had the seller send another set of five spokers, this time in the cool anthracite gray that I really wanted. All in all, it worked out for me. BTW, the seller said UPS found the two wheels and that they were, no surprise, badly damaged.

The shipper takes out the insurance, so you'll have to wait for him to make the claim.

If I were you, I'd bail out, unless the seller can provide you with four identical rims or another set that you really want more. Maybe he can get you an 18" set for the same price as compensation for the poor packaging, if that's the reason your rims didn't get to you.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-18-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Bryan H
Track Day

Your car doesn't know or care what size the wheels are. It only matters from an ABS or traction computer point what the outside radius of the tire is. I will bet the 16 and 17's are very simular with the 16 having a higher sidewall. Just don'rt go racing untill you get the correct front wheels.

Bryan

Quick Reply: UPS/ebay saga & need wheel help