Sponsored by:

Bike rack for 95 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 04:24 AM
dsn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bike rack for 95 993?

OK, I just put an order in for a Klein Mountain bike and would love to make outings a fun, sports full day by heading to the hills in my 993 with the Klein attached. what bike racks work with the 993? roof or hang off the back? any suggestions on type and brand?
Old 09-07-2001, 04:40 AM
Yellow
Instructor

DSN,

I contemplated putting one on my car for a Colnago, but decided to use a cheap rear rack on the beater BMW instead :-)

Performance Products Bike Rack

A Klein would sure look on on a 993 though
Old 09-07-2001, 06:59 AM
Kostas Vassiliadis
Advanced

look my car's photo. this is a thule product (www.thule.com)

regards
Old 09-07-2001, 11:14 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Porsche offers there own bike rack for the 993 through the dealers parts department. You buy the roof racks then they have several adapters for sea kayaks, bikes... The complete bike kit was about $1,100. as I recall.

Bill Walczak
993 coupe no a/c or rear wiper
Old 09-07-2001, 12:44 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally posted by dsn:
<STRONG>OK, .... what bike racks work with the 993? roof or hang off the back? any suggestions on type and brand? </STRONG>
I have standard Thule gutter racks for my 95 993 coupe. Go to any Thule dealer, and they have all info to get you set-up. The bars that you'll get are a big longer than necessary, but cutting them to size is very simple (only done for asthetic reasons).

I use my racks for mountain biking and surfing and no problems whatsoever - it's kindof fun using the Porsche in this flavour !!

Also, the Thule-way will run you &lt;$300, with attachments and all!!
Old 09-07-2001, 06:09 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Looked thru all my aftermarket catalogs; only Performance Products/Automotion offers one. Hangs vertically off the back bumper. Picture shows it on a 993, but warning sez "Some cars with polyurethane bumpers may require drilling".

The Porsche boutique catalog shows Porsche trademark bikes but no carrying rack. Then again, after buying the bikes doubt if you'd have money left for a carrying rack!!!!

FS Evolution $5995
Bike R $2995

(note - these are late 2000 prices. A 1999 catalog also offers:

Bike FS $4195
Bike S $2095
Old 09-07-2001, 07:09 PM
dsn
4th Gear

Cool

As usual, Rennlist is worth its weight in gold. All suggestions are great and my decision has not been made any easer. I also noticed the bike rack in Performance and its a good option. My concern is if I Drive up into the mountains, you all know what I mean by drive:-), I am afraid the racks on the back might make the car unstable or the chances of bike to car kissing is more likely than solid on the roof. I liked the pictures posted of the 993 with the bikes on top.

Kostas, have you noticed any denting, scratching or any other types of damage to the roof of your beautiful Porsche?

Thanks for all your responses, it’s a treat when I notice another reply, all else falls to the side.

Best regards,
David
Old 09-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ride my mountain bike a few times a week and regret not having a rack for my p-car. Many other I ride with have a variety of trunk mounted racks - they have all scratched the finish of the trunk. I also believe that a roof rack with fork mount (remove the front wheel) are more secure, especially at higher speeds on fun to drive roads.

Since I have a cab, a roof rack isn't an option and my bike transport is relegated to the ML430.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:47 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Talking

Here's an idea .... check out my trailer hitch

Chris Gets Hitched

I use this to tow a little track tire trailer - but could also be used with one of those hitch mount bike racks yes ? Takes about 5 minutes to take the hitch on/off the car and once removed and the rear bumperettes bolted back on, the car looks absolutely stock ........

Old 09-08-2001, 12:17 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I used a Yakima rack once to carry tires to the track. Didnt work so well for that (too much load and drag) but it will work great for the mountain bike. Standard Gutter mounts (the easiest type to mount) work fine with the 48 inch bars and the standard fork mount bike attachments. I am actually going to try it for the first time tomorrow (have to get the lazy butt out of the garage every once in a while) I would not use one of those rear mounted ones - the regular rear rack on my wifes MB 230 scratched the trunk.

Chris,

I think the hitch mount type need an actual receiver, and don't attach to the ball of the hitch. I too thought about this.

E. J.
Old 09-08-2001, 12:33 PM
Kostas Vassiliadis
Advanced

Talking

Hi David,

No scratches or marks whatsoever using the THULE roof rack. I fully recommend it, great value for money!

Kostas
Old 09-12-2001, 09:26 PM
kojo
2nd Gear

Thule makes a great product and it's not necessary to purchase the full length trays, just two cross bars gutter mounts fork mounts (locking) and rear tire mounts depending on how "hard core" you are it is possible to mount up to four bikes in this manor.

Quick Reply: Bike rack for 95 993?