Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has anyone gotten frustrated in their search for a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Bill -

Yes - as you know, I actually hated the searching part, going through 3 stressful, expensive PPI's. I had to drive for hours in horrible New Jersey Turnpike traffic to look at a car only to find the headliner had an awful rip in it, it had more road rash than I found exceptable, and the interior looked kind of beat up. The pics on the internet looked great though... and the owner said it was practically mint - it wasn't even close!

When I finally found my car, even though it was surprisingly at a dealer 750 miles away, I knew it was the right car. I was mostly intrigued by the car that I found because the price seemed so low ($40,500 for a 96 C4S with 58k mi, 2 years ago when other cars with this many miles were priced more like $47k). It's pricing was suspiciously low, but after some Rennlisters checked it out for me, and emailed me pics and their driving impressions of it, I was READY to fly out and drive it home.

I definitely wouldn't look for any cars as far away as California, though. I'd want to reasonably drive it home, and that's WAY too far. I wouldn't want my car shipped either - I just don't trust it. Anything could happen during transport. I realize others do this successfully everyday, but I wouldn't.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a speed yellow 95 for cheap, and call it a day.
Ahhhhh - speed yellow with a black interior, you just gotta love it.
I mean really:
This:

vs this:

They're both nice, but that yellow color on the 993 body says WOW to me! Silver looks boring in comparison.

Keep looking, but realize that spring may bring out the great cars.

Steve
Old 01-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in there....I understand the frustration...I had been looking for a car for about a year and since there isn't alot of 993's in Canada, I got totally frustrated and ordered a new Honda S2000...Long story short, the dealer pissed me off and I pulled my order....To console myself, I got on Rennlist (which I hadn't be on for a long time) and happen upon a tread about the value of Porsches in Canada and there was a link to a car that was for Sale. Out of curiousity, I clicked it and there she was.....the car I had been looking for, right year, colour, and options...The ad was about a month old but I took a chance and contacted the owner and it was still for sale....After a few emails in which he sent copies of the service records, numerous pictures, we agreed on a price pending PPI....The car checked out and I flew down to consumate the deal. Got there and the car was everything that the owner had said it was...Did the paperwork and drove her 2200 miles home, more than the owner had put on in the past 2 years !!!... Have been in Love since....guess we were meant to be...
Good luck in your search...
Old 01-08-2005, 02:39 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bill,
Remember that a watched pot never boils. I know you are in a hurry but be patient and you will find what you are looking for. Although with a strict criteria, you may have to pony up a few more bucks. People forget that you can't go down to the dealer and order to your specs anymore. So, if something comes along that fits your bill, you should not be so worried about the price... and if you are then you may have to make sacrifices to save a buck. Good luck in your search and relax. What happened to that car in the avatar? Man, that is nice!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:52 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luck can be with you or against you.

My story was the opposite... timewise.

Spoke with the wife about getting Porsche (a longing of mine for years), and she gave the OK - seems it's normal for Men just having had a baby (my first!) to go out and buy something big - at least that's what she'd read in one of her books..

I had been checking Ebay for about a week. Found one in St Louis that checked out OK (Carfax, not a PPI - wasn't clued in about that then! Now I know).

Anyway, decided that was bit far, so tried Autotrader (I think?) and found a used dealer in Irvine with a Guards Red/Cashmere tiptronic Cab, 65K miles! This was a Saturday.... Carfax Checked out OK... talked to the wife... We went Monday morning... looked it over... Drove it (actually *I* drove it - wife couldn't as the electric seat was not working right...the dealer drove her)... We decided to buy (I can hear the "do a PPI!" shouts out there....) The wife told the delaer how much we were going to pay (way below asking price) ... and 45 minutes later I was driving it home. I think having a 6 month old restless baby can help with Pricing negotiations .

Two days later it's in at the local Porsche Dealer having it's full 60K mile service, airbags checked, and wiring harness recall done.. Ask the service folks to *really* check it over - expecting a phone call to tell me what's wrong. Call comes to go pick it up... they say "Our mechanics say this is one of the nicest cars they've seen in a while. Absolutely nothing wrong except needs new tires [I knew that already] and brake pads soonish, Congratulations!"

I still can't stop smiling......

To top that off... a local friend was (unknown to me!) also looking for a 993, and, after seeing mine, also bought from the same guy a Gray/Gray tip cab the very next weekend!

So, long story short... hang in there... and the guy has a couple of 993's on the lot now: www.autohauswest.com/inventory.asp (scroll down) in case that's of interest...

Keep Posting... your's will come.

Clive.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conekilr -
I like your sig...I once had a boss who told me "Its always better to get behind as soon as possible, because then you have more time to make it up."

john
Old 01-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnJL
Conekilr -
I like your sig...I once had a boss who told me "Its always better to get behind as soon as possible, because then you have more time to make it up."

john
That's pretty funny too....I tend to work best under pressure...

Old 01-08-2005, 03:30 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Patience has never been one of my virtues!

Several of you have recommended waiting until the spring...I always thought that winter was the best time to shop because in the colder climates people think about selling instead of storing for the winter. Is that not true?

$35K is a theoretical ceiling. If the car was absolutely perfect for me I'd be a little flexible.I don't want to get into the $40's because in spite of all the discussions about value there are a good number of low mileage "S" cars in the upper $40K range. If I crossed over into the $40's I would have to go all the way!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

There does seem to be a total lack of good, reasonably priced cars on the market if you don't want black, guards red silver or white. I am dealing with my frustrations by buying mods for a car I don't own yet - try this, it helps! I've passed on a couple of nice cars that just weren't right, on the theory that I really only want to buy one and drive it for a long time. Bill, your frustration is probably worse because you had a very unusual, beautiful C4s as your first P-car. Too bad you had to let it go.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:37 PM
williet1342
Pro

Cool My 2 cents

For me (and I suspect quite a few others) the search for a 993 was frustrating a little but I think some of the frustration was rooted in the stress of buying a used car with a price tag that isn't the lowest in the world. (Not the highest either I admit). But my point is this. If it weren't for the stress caused by the "fear of a lemon" (and the costs of a poor decision) the actual search through the different "for sale" sources was actually kind of fun for me. After locating and buying the car, I strangely felt like I still wanted to check the For Sale listings online etc...Part of the hunt was cool, part of the hunt made me get more of those dreaded gray hairs that keep popping up. I think the need to keep searching makes some of us start immediately on the slippery slope of mods. Hope to see and meet some of you at the Rolex 24 event.

Last edited by williet1342; 01-08-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. No
... I am dealing with my frustrations by buying mods for a car I don't own yet - try this, it helps!
Are you related to Eric86Red911 by any chance...
Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 PM
RonnieM
Advanced

I've been searching for a C4S myself and find the asking prices to be on the high side IMO. Having looked a little deeper I find I can buy a 01 996 with low miles cheaper than a 96 C4S. Two different animals but who knows.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:22 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by mnmblu
...What happened to that car in the avatar? Man, that is nice!
that had to be one of the saddest 'goodbye' posts i've ever read... next to bozo's that is...

bol on the search bill.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

I've gone through the same thoughts...you can get an '02 996 with more hp, more features, and a higher top speed for the same or less money. Unfortunately, it's not a 993!

It will be interesting to see if people feel it's ridiculous to spend $50K for a technically obsolete car approaching 10 years old or if they continue to feel that the 993 was the last great car produced by Porsche and will continue to hold the car in high esteem.

Originally Posted by RonnieM
I've been searching for a C4S myself and find the asking prices to be on the high side IMO. Having looked a little deeper I find I can buy a 01 996 with low miles cheaper than a 96 C4S. Two different animals but who knows.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
RonnieM
Advanced

I was bidding on a silver 96 C4S on ebay and somebody bought it now for 47k. I think thats over the top on price. Maybe it's time to start looking for a 33-35 Ford coupe instead.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Ronnie,
I exchanged emails with the guy selling that car and he was an a$$. I get a kick out of arrogant sales guys. I know it's a tough job but you never know when you'll **** off a customer who has cash! Anyway, I agree with you...the price was a bit high. Although based on his emails I expected him to want $50K plus. Check out the email exchange...verbatim (I have deleted his email address to protect his identity).
bladerunner4105@yahoo.com wrote:
Question about your item

Hi, Do you have a buy it now price in mind? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxx<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Will end the Auction if the offer to puchase is fair...I dont play games, please make your offer based on how long you have been waiting for a C4S like this and when do you expect to see another if you miss this one on a low ball offer. Best, John
---------------------------------------------------------
Bill H <bladerunner4105@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi XXXXXX.
Not looking to play games...just wanted to know what you wanted out of it. I am serious buyer looking to buy a car this week.

In terms of price I sold my '96 C4S with 39K miles 1 year ago for $4X,000. Last week I missed by 10 minutes a 29K miles '96 C4S at Luxury Motors in Chicago (identical color scheme to yours) for $42,995. I passed on a 31K miles '96 C4S (with a painted fender from a scratch...no accident) for $43,995. I'm currently in negotiation for a mint '98 C2S with 23K miles for $48K but I'd rather have a C4S...hence my question on price.

I think your car is in a low to mid-$40's range. Is that what you are expecting?

----------------------------------------------------------
XXXXXXxx<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bill, If you werent prepared to spend 43/44 for the last few C4S's and they are no longer for sale, Then you werent prepared to pay MARKET value. Best of luck, XXXXXX
Bill H <bladerunner4105@yahoo.com> wrote:

[I]XXXXX,
Good luck selling yours.[/I]

---------------------------------------------------------
XXXXXXXX <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX> wrote:
Guys like you dont buy cars....What would you do with your time then ??? FYI: 90% of these types of cars sell outside the bidding process...Re: Item #4513902401....Your the type to tell me who you miss the same car in the last two years for $50k and that should be the price we sell it to you for....I really do think you will by a car though, BUT it will be the WRONG car because you are shopping PRICE
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:38:52 -0800 (PST)
From: "Bill H" <bladerunner4105@yahoo.com> Add to Address Book
Subject: Re: Question for item #4516143174 - Porsche : 911
To: "XXXXXXXX" <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Hi XXXXX,
I really was wishing you luck on selling the C4S...apparently you took it wrong.

Not sure what the reference to item 4513902401 is about. Super low mileage turbo's as well as NA cars do sell for good money. Double the mileage on that one and the price will be $10K less.

I do buy cars...only when I can get the price I want. I have found that people with cash can find the deal they want at the price they want. It may take a little time but in the end I always get what I want.

Anyway, seriously, good luck on selling the car.

That's too funny about the early Ford's. My wife told me no more than an hour ago that rather than stress out over a 993 why not buy a quality early street rod like I've always wanted!

I'm not to that point yet...I think I'll keep looking for a 993.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotten frustrated in their search for a 993?