Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   OT: Track-Meister Progress report (long) (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/178766-ot-track-meister-progress-report-long.html)

Edward 01-06-2005 01:56 PM

OT: Track-Meister Progress report (long)

Hi all,

As some of you may already know or remember, my beautiful 993 got "retired" from dual purpose street/track duty to solely daily driving a few months ago and I acquired a wonderful, well-sorted 82 to replace it as Track Meister. Forgive me, but I just wanted to share a few gratuitous pics (sorry for low res)of my latest progress. I just got the 22/28 torsions in, meticulously set the height, and had it aligned at -1.7/-2.5, got the chin spoiler on, and the tail. The PO had already gone to Bilstein Sports, Carrera 22mm/21mm sways, SSIs, LSD, and 7s/8s. It's still largely stock, but as the subject title suggests, it's primary function is street only to/from track events, and the "rain car" as my wife calls it ...she's actually making fun of me :) .

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img3.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_2543.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_2551.jpg

I want to thank all of you who I have bought and sold stuff to in the past few months. Being "financially challenged," (with the CFO as my check and balance but supremely gratious in what I'm allowed to do!), I appreciate all the wonderful folks that I've had dealings with...you were all marvelous and instrumental in helping me get to this point. And that also goes to those whom I have sought advice from. And of course to the gang at TRE Motorsports for being the fabulous folks that they are!

As for further "enhancements," fugghetaboutit for quite a while. This is gonna have to hold me off until I can recoup. But in the works are freebie mods: weight loss!!! Will be ditching rear bumper pads and eventually interior tidbits. ....PLUG: if anyone is looking for a complete interior in tan leather, let me know. Now off to do some work. Thanks for indulging me!!
:bigbye:

Edward

TroyN 01-06-2005 02:31 PM

Nice Car!

The car looks great! I also like the idea of a "rain car", especially as wet as it's been lately. Have fun w/ it.

swftiii 01-06-2005 02:34 PM

Edward,

Nice looking track appliance to start with. I also want to someday soon relegate my 993 to street only duty and plan on getting an older 911 model. Not sure which model yet, but I have plenty of time until I will need to make that decision.

Keep us posted with pics and such as you continue the conversion. I would definately be interested in pics.

Good luck with the new project...

-Skip

riviera 93 01-06-2005 03:04 PM

What are your thoughts of the two cars? jumping out of the 993 into the rain car what do you miss? or what do you like better? and vice versa? I am kinda scoping out an earlier 911 for (the wife). thanks, e

Edward 01-06-2005 06:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words, guys! It's gonna take a while for the next installment, but here's to enjoying what I've got so far!
:cheers:

riv93,
"Better" depends on the desire of the moment. The 993 is supremely comfortable and has genuine HVAC that works well....still very sporty, but you're relaxed doing it. The 993 and it's variants ARE the ultimate commuter weapons, IMHO.

The SC is light and "raw," which translates into very communicative steering, braking, and point-and-shoot qualities ( :D ), to the detriment of feeling *every* possible irregularity on the road. The stock suspension is obviously more compliant, but *nothing* like the 993's ability to soak up bumps and ripples while still keeping the car planted. The 993's LSA rear suspension is light years ahead of it's 911 predecessors in terms of offering a stable sport platform that won't beat you up on the daily grind. Moreover, the 911s HVAC is antiquated: the AC sucks, fresh ventilation just ok, but the heat is excellent. The 915 tranny is great ...IF you already know it and/or don't mind it. For one who is accustomed to smooth "snick" of modern gearboxes of say, Hondas, it feels antiquated (my wife, for example, hates the 915 and much prefers the G50 in the 993). Thus, depends what you want it for, and what your wife enjoys --yours may be more sports-car oriented than mine. As I said, the 993 is the best real sports car that can pull commuter duty with aplomb ...IMHO of course. But that said, if you like the earlier 911, or are attracted by its lower price, then I'd think 87-89 with the hydraulic clutch, G50 tranny, and HVAC that approaches reasonable. As for my SC, there is no doubt as to its purpose in life ;)
Hope that helps! :)

Edward

Mark in Hermosa 01-06-2005 06:43 PM

Congrats Edward. Make it out to some POC events. My little website has a diary of all the fun things we did. GO FOR IT!

These cars are a blast on the track.

chris walrod 01-06-2005 06:53 PM

Edward

Looks great! As you already know, the SC is a great, solid platform in which to start a track car from. It will definitely keep your throttle foot honest:)

Keep us updated on its and your progress! Hope to see you at some POC/PCA events this year.

Martin S. 01-06-2005 07:04 PM

Great looking car Ed....bring it out to ............

Streets of Willow with the POC for a one day event on the 30th. The Streets has been cleaned up a bit with two very slow corners being widened. It is a blast to drive and there are lots of SCs to compete against. You will be an IP car in POC with the sway bar change. It is a very competive class, very! :rockon:

riviera 93 01-06-2005 07:36 PM

Thanks! a reinforcment of what I was thinking! I think that I would like a 2 Porsche garage! e

911 01-07-2005 12:17 AM

Edward,

Looks great, my friend! If you can, please join us at the POC event on the 30th. You've got a great car for I-Improved, or I Production as Martin indicated (just need the stickies - R compounds).

Rich

Martin S. 01-07-2005 12:24 AM

No, no...not Improved, its...

Production. Ed wrote, "I just got the 22/28 torsions in." Changing the torsion bars puts the car into Production, one (1) class above Improved! :nono:

Were I Ed, I would have kept the stock torsion bars and run Improved. There are a lot of mean dogs in Production! :)

However if you don't want to dominate your class, Production is as good a place as any.

The problem, if you point out a car in Production, you will have spent some bucks on such items as: LSD, short gears, ring and pinion, headers, 17" wheels, possibly even slicks if you have the points left.

Air Kuul TT 01-07-2005 12:35 AM

Ed,

Thanks for posting the pics of your SC. You're right, I love the color. Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow when I come over :rockon:

Edward 01-07-2005 02:47 AM

Thanks guys...I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. It really is a labor of love :)

"keep the throttle foot honest" ...LOL! Indeed, Chris; that's what I'm afraid of. :)

Glad to help riviera93 ...BTW, always loved that color!

Yeah, I can't wait to hook up with you guys. And Thanks again Rich for your most generous aid to "the cause" ...those Fuchs WILL come in handy!

I'll eventually get back onto the track, albeit with stock seats (ugh!), a BK harness bar, and street compounds. Though I loved the victoracers on the 993, there's NO money for them or anything for that matter, but no problem. I've spent almost three years tracking the 993 which to me was a VERY forgiving car and one that masks driver mistakes well (ahem, my mistakes anyway!) because it's such a good car. So I feel like I'm learning a different beast entirely, and am a bit intimidated like when I first transitioned from my Alfa to the 993 ...didn't know what to expect. So I'm a gonna take it slow and really learn the car and hone my skills. And about "class," frankly it concerns me not since I'm perfectly fine with leading in the back ;)
Take care, all!

Edward

Martin S. 01-07-2005 03:47 AM

POC Streets of Willow School

Ed,

Although you have plenty of track experience, there is a one (1) day POC drivers school on 1/29, with an event on 1/30. This could be a good opportunity to learn that SC. If you are coming to either day...I plan to be there.

Regards,

DJF1 01-07-2005 11:25 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the steep slippery slope :D As for rain car...LOL.. when you are done with it suspension wise its not gonna be fun driving in the rain off the track, trust me!