993 Forum 1995-1998

question about GT2 fender flairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:35 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about GT2 fender flairs

i have seen photos of GT2's and photos of 993's w/gt2 flairs. can some one tell me if a GT2 was made on a body narrow or wide body car. and are the bumpers different to match up to the flairs?

wouldnt a 993 w hot a RS3.8L motor, short ratio box, coilovers, light weight seats seats, rear seat deleate, rs door panels, light weight bumpers and GT2 flairs, w/ a duck, rs or no tail be a fun modern hot rod 911
Old 01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ken garchow
...wouldnt a 993 w hot a RS3.8L motor, short ratio box, coilovers, light weight seats seats, rear seat deleate, rs door panels, light weight bumpers and GT2 flairs, w/ a duck, rs or no tail be a fun modern hot rod 911
Should I say no???
Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

ive looked into this when i considered converting my C2 into a GT2. A narrow car can be made to look like a GT2.

The real gt2 is made on a widebody and the factory cuts the fenders before bolting on the extentions - despite the nose having a narrowbody frontbumper cover(??? not sure why this is) - search some threads as several people have added GT2 body kits. Im told FVD has the same kit that porsche used on the gt2. I dont think the kits have fit too well at the intersection of the rockerpanel.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
ken garchow
Instructor

thank you for the information, after looking @ photos more i did notice that the GT2 has the turbo rockers so they must start w/a widebody as stated since the rockers are a part of the body not an add on.

so then making a GT2 look out of a narrow car is probably not easy as yo would hace to add the rockers right?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

ken - is this your way of starting another project ????? come on, tell us..

It can easily be done on a narrow car - i checked it out- , but you do have to add the rockers, but you can have the choice of aftermarket rockers (techart, mashaw,etc.) if you want to make it look 'cool & fast'.

I think the FVD kit has everything to make your narrow c2 into a monster gt2 - just bring your wallet.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

My clone is based on a narrow body car.
The two bumpers used on the racecars are a bit wider and require the fender flares. If you go for the street GT2 look then you just need the stock narrowbody front bumper with the splitters added.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
nman413
Drifting

Princeton, do you know of a GT2 Evo nose that does not require going to fender flares?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jauder.
I don't know of one and last time I check Getty didn't make such a piece.

Friend of mine did exactly this but it was a huge project. Required cutting the front bumper in half.... It was worth the effort though (I didn't pay the bill!) as he sure has a mean front nose and the front end grip was much improved.

Since he had this done 5 years ago I have found a place the can do this without cutting the bumper in half. The body shop I use (not too frequently thankfully!) does a lot of race car work and said that he could get a widebody EVO nose without the flares but it took some time and risk to reshape the front part of the fender so it fit correctly. The risk is that the paint on the fender could crack and half to be re-sprayed. Not a big deal if your ride is a track steed.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 01-07-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused. The widebody and narrow body have the same front dimensions and the bumper covers are interchangeable (I have a Euro tt front cover on my cabriolet). Why would you need to do anything different for the front of a GT2?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jauder - If you know a good bodyshop then the first gen evo front bumper can be made to fit without front flares. I don't see why there would eb a need for reshaping of the actual fender with the less agressive version. On the other hand, the inner cooler ducting in the version I have on my car prevents the coolers from being able to sit straight like they do normally. In fact, you would need a good bodyshop anyway if you buy a fiberglass EVO front end. The ones I've seen are made so wide that they don't even match up to the flares.

Tom - The bolt on fenders on the GT2 extend an extra 1.5" or so from stock on each side.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 AM
msch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
ive looked into this when i considered converting my C2 into a GT2. A narrow car can be made to look like a GT2.

The real gt2 is made on a widebody and the factory cuts the fenders before bolting on the extentions - despite the nose having a narrowbody frontbumper cover(??? not sure why this is) - search some threads as several people have added GT2 body kits. Im told FVD has the same kit that porsche used on the gt2. I dont think the kits have fit too well at the intersection of the rockerpanel.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought it was made on a narrow body.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 AM
nman413
Drifting

It would sure be a killer look

Unfortunately, it seems like there is a lack of good body shops in the Bay Area.

Greg, do you have pictures of your friend's car. I assume he has the corresponding GT2 rear wing (banana too?). My car is mostly a track beast but is in pretty good condition overall so I'm probably going to get a spec miata as an alternate track toy.

It also appears that there are 2 versions of the EVO nose, 1 with ducting and 1 without. If someone can post pictures, I sure would like to see how the duct work looks.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jauder.
I will look for some, EJ used to have them on his website but that is offline now. Getty has pics of the bumper and so does GT racing, I think one of them shows the ducting. Basically the ducting allows for the mounting of the oil cooler directly to the bumper, it just slides in. All air has to go through the cooler and the other ducts are for the brakes.

The EVO bumper is wider as it makes a nice smooth line to the fender flares. If you don't have flares you and you need to reshape the fenders. If you have a real EVO bumper I have no idea how you would make it work without flares unless you did so.

Quick Reply: question about GT2 fender flairs