A big thanks to Chris Walrod

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A big thanks to Chris Walrod

As some of you know I had a bad day at the track last month and lost my gearbox. I posted a thread for recommendations of good mechanics in the LA area and got several responses. The most interesting one was from Chris- who I met at The Rumble this past september at Buttonwillow.Chris was cool enough to give me a ridealong to show me the lines - only minutes after meeting him. He left that day and I ran the following 2 days with everyone else.
So I really don't know him very well.

I received a pm from Chris and he volunteered to do the rebuild for me! Chris used to be the gear man for a champ car team! He removed every speck of Cosmoline on that casting! I only met Chris once before! I was in luck!

I got the car back tonight (I had someone else do the installation) and I couldn't be happier with Chris Walrod. He installed steel synchros and shifting fork as well as all the other necessary items. Did I mention he tried to do this for free?

I believe he's going to do a DIY write-up for P-Car on this.
If I could give out Rennlist lifetime memberships I would.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely fantastic.
If only guys could give hugs.

For the record, I said "bugs" and mis-spelled it.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I've known Chirs for over a year through emails and then meeting him at the rumble. This
does not suprise me in the least. Chris is that kind of guy.
A typical Rennlist Guy.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Laura
Pro

Seege,

Chris is a good guy, and while many of you were warm in your beds on New Years Eve morning, I know that Chris was working on this trans. In fact I saw him out on a mission in the pouring rain getting his stuff together to finish the job. What a guy !!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laura
Seege,

Chris is a good guy, and while many of you were warm in your beds on New Years Eve morning, I know that Chris was working on this trans. In fact I saw him out on a mission in the pouring rain getting his stuff together to finish the job. What a guy !!
Thanks for pointing that out Laura. I forgot to mention that he did this during the holidays on his vacation.With a deadline.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 AM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris is helping me out by powdercoating my calipers. I contacted several "professionals" and nobody wanted to Powdercoat calipers loaded? I asked for some advice on the Process and Chris offered to Help! Here is a BIG thanks from me as well!

He does Trannys to...............hmmm? e
Old 01-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

CJ, good to hear you have your car back. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have knowledgeable people willing to help just around the corner when others struggle to even being able to get an opinion from thousands of miles away.
Kudos to Chris!!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks guys, I am flattered, truly. Just glad it worked out. The thanks should go to Laura and Mark Hergesheimer. I called on the 31st to see if I could borrow a holding fixture to get that input shaft nut torqued to spec. Mark said we are only here for five minutes as they came in just for a few minutes to do something. Mark, said, "sure, haul-a$$ monkey-butt". So I did

Thanks to you Laura and Mark for staying to let me borrow this fixture. Laura, is it red or white wine you like? I owe you one!

Now Ed, your rear calipers are curing while I type this

I'll post some pics of the gearbox rebuild when I get a chance. I took over a hundred pics before during and after, 1) for reference, 2) for a write-up that I have been wanting to do.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 AM
nman413
Drifting

If we can vote for lifetime membership candidacy, I'll vote for Chris. Poor Chris has been patiently waiting for his Big Reds (from my car) to show up as I have been unable to find a bolt to install my F50s... This weekend hopefully.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 AM
kary993
Drifting

Wow, Chris...you ready to rebuild my tranny with some new gears, and steel synchros? That was really nice of you to do that for Seege!

Life time membership John?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
Wow, Chris...you ready to rebuild my tranny with some new gears, and stelel synchros? That was really nice of you to do that for Seege!

Life time membership John?
Kary, lifetime membership not needed, I am glad to pay and help out John and Jenn for providing this great site, full of great people. I wont freeload like the OldGuy(s) on this board

For the record, Seege did show up with a brand-spankin-new Lincoln MIG welder for me. Seege insisted that I take it. I have experience in TIG welding, but there is usually grinding involved shortly after
Old 01-05-2005, 05:04 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am amazed........ and proud to be part of this board
Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am with you Mike! How cool is that. Unmatched in the "real world". Chris thanks for setting such a wonderful example for us all.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Laura
Pro

Chris, Just sit down and take credit where credit is due, we did nothing, you were the one working. It's always interesting to share ideas and knowledge with you.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, Chris... you have always stood out to me as being one of the best members of this board, without dought!!!! You amaze me with all of your projects and the things you get involved in. I would love to meet you sometime. Good people like you come along very rarely, I wish I could do something for you. Happy and Healthy New Year to you.

Last edited by mnmblu; 01-05-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: A big thanks to Chris Walrod