993 Forum 1995-1998

Help 3rd brakelight / spoiler fitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 06:15 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help 3rd brakelight / spoiler fitting

I have bought a third brakelight and spoiler (OEM Porsche parts) from Gert and need help fitting it!

My car is a '95 993 which had neither the 3rd brakelight / spoiler fitted or the "basket handle" spoiler.

I have searched the archives and drawn a blank for any fitting instructions, I have printed the 3rd tail light wiring fix from P-car which helps with the wiring but how do I fit the spoiler in the first place?

I have fitted spoliers to my Audi and Golf both of which were glue onto the tailgate or glass affairs, but the kit from gert is altogether more complex - any one got any pictures, instructions or web addresses?

Thanks

John S.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:31 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
John,

Which spoiler brake light did you purchase from Gert?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:02 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Robin,

I bought the P93009 kit.

<a href="http://64.35.111.106/" target="_blank">993 third brake light</a>

Any thoughts?

John
Old 08-26-2002, 07:11 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Robin,

Sorry cut and paste link just takes you to Gert's home page,

If you go homepage, exterior, P93, third brake light kit then thats the one - I have all the bits but no instructions!! I have also got spare glass glue from an Oettinger kit for my golf if I need that?

Thanks

John

PS I also bought a set of RSR's from Gert and am very, very, very pleased with them - many thanks!!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
John,

Since your car didn't come with any 3rd brake lights I am sure there wouldn't be any wire near the rear glass area where the 3rd brake like would connect to, which means you would probably need to run your own wiring.

There is a specific section on the 993 shop manual that provides the procedure to mount the rear high mounted spoiler 3rd brake light.

Ask Gert if he can fax you a copy of those pages.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

John

I had this fitted as well by a bodyshop. The wiring apparently wasn't a problem.

However the glue WAS a problem. I would strongly advise you to get the correct glue from a Porsche Dealer and have it fitted in line with their curing recommendations.

2 months after my spoiler was fitted by a "professional" UK bodyshop, the spoiler detached itself from my car on a motorway and flew up into the air before smashing onto the central reservation. Luckily the traffic density over here is much lower than the UK and there were no cars following but you can imagine the consequences had their been.

I was furious and was immediately onto the bodyshop who insisted that there was no glue in the kit they received. I then contacted Design 911 in the UK who assured me that glue is always included in the kits and was present in the kit they sent to the body shop I had chosen. They thought the bodyshop had lost it or they assumed that the spoiler would be "ok" with a normal glue.

Obviously I am out of pocket but I can only thank God that my experience only resulted in material loss.

Upon asking for a replacement from a Swiss Porsche dealer they assured me they need the car for three days for the glue to cure properly....

Best Regards

Mike

Quick Reply: Help 3rd brakelight / spoiler fitting