993 Forum 1995-1998

My first forays into self maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My first forays into self maintenance

I've decided to tackle some of my '95 C2's maintenance myself. The car is about a month old and has 46,000 miles. The PO didn't have the 45k service done.

Last weekend I learned the ways of the Porsche oil change. Everything went fine, except for taking off an underbody tray that didn't need to come off. Seems like Porsche could have figured out a better way to drain the sump tank then having to dismantle the side of the car!

My real adventure came today. I went to my shop to bleed the brakes. Equipped with my Motiv bleeder and Motul fluid I was expecting a pretty painless experience. I've done lots of brake work on my Audi and MINI - Porsche brakes look much more serviceable than either of those cars. I hooked up the bleeder and pumped it up to about 5 psi then went to the rear of the car to finish taking off the back wheels. I hear a noise like water dripping and go to the left side of the car and se a puddle of brake fluid under the car. After a few choice words, I pulled off the left front wheel, the fender liner and the access panel loking for brake fluid. I thought that I had perhaps blown a brake line or a seal. I expected to find fluid all over the inside of the fender; nada. I pumped up the bleeder again to see where the fluid was coming from and find the little drain tube hooked tothe reservoir! Didn't see that one coming! Well I was done for the day, didn't have enough brake fluid to finish the job. Came home and read the DYI's on brake bleeding didn't see any mention of the overflow, did a search here and found that this is a trait only onthe '95's. Mighty nice of Porsche to make sure I don't get brake fluid all over the boot by overfilling my reservoir.

I can hardly wait to change my sparkplugs!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, only 8 posts and already a member! Good job. Best of luck w/ the spark plug change.

Rich
Old 12-29-2004, 02:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Mark, welcome to Rennlist. I grew-up (well never really grew-up per se) in Loveland and spent EVERY Friday and Saturday night 'cruising' College BLVD. in the mid 1980's.

Anyhow, I guess you already figured out that you need to clamp-off the vent line to the m/c reservoir. Once you get past that, bleeding will be a breeze!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:58 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Mark, you are not the first to make that mistake! It pays to read through a DIY first to prepare you for these things. As you are pretty new in here, you might not know of this excellent resource for working on 993s: http://www.p-car.com/diy/diy.html
Old 12-29-2004, 08:10 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the support!
Chris: have you been back and see how the area has grown? God news is there's more to do and the kids don't necessarily need to "cruise College." bad news is the traffic and the cost of housing has gone WAY up.
Graham: I scanned the DYI's on Robins site, but missed that little piece about the '95's overflow tube. Oh well, pretty painless mistake. My brakes held up OK at the open track day today.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Mark - I made that same mistake with my 73 911. Let me know if you want to go to the track or go for a mountain drive sometime

Quick Reply: My first forays into self maintenance