Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Racing shoes and suit recommendations....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 09:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Racing shoes and suit recommendations....

I looked at several of our sponsor's sites and saw numerous racing shoes and suits. Without actually trying them on it's a little tough to figure out the differences. So, recommendations please based on your experiences....
JRG
Old 12-26-2004, 10:19 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Nomex isn't an must for u, I would recommend Puma shoes speedcat is an example). They are designed for driving, they come in either Hi Top or low. Many colors to match driving suits. U can buy these online or in LA in many shops. They run from $50 to $120 depending on the model.
As far as driving suits, again if Nomex isn't required then I would suggest a karting suit. They are less than the driving suits.
Sparco makes quite a few really nice ones.
Since I do Kart and I do DE's/TTs I have purchased a karting suit and I am very happy with it. This is the suit I got:
http://www.sparco-usa.com/pkarting_suits.asp?id=541
U can also checkout this place, they are in Huntington Beach.
www.subesports.com
Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the requirements? Are you racing in a series that has rules or is this for DE? If DE, why do you want a suit? Are you trying to maximize safety for a certain budget?

How are the pedals set up and how do you heel-toe? (This may determine whether you want really narrow shoes or wider.)
Old 12-26-2004, 11:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

On low budget, buy a pair of indoor soccer shoes like Adidas Sambas and forget the suit. There, a $30 solution.

While I love the look and thin sole of Speedcats, every pair I tried both here and in Europe felt like a spanish boot torture (pun intended). I hope they get softer with time and wear. My personal solution is a pair of similar looking no-name brazilian shoes I picked up in Verona a year ago (small world we live in, eh?). They are disintegrating after a year of constant wear in the car and on the street, and I'm looking for replacements. My indoor soccer shoes are my backup for now.

Oh, btw, wrestling shoes are a possibility as well. Just don't try to walk in them all day long, you'll be sorry.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:17 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I use sparco mid tops, They are very comfy and have nomex lining. Paid $50. Do you need a suit? They are hot and what ya gonna do mit dat turbo anyway?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:31 AM
tlark
Drifting

Try wrestling shoes, thin sole & washable !!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me ask you this.... If you and your car happen to find yourselves upside down and gas is leaking into the cabin, what kind of suit (if any) do you think you would want to be wearing?
At that moment will you be thinking how smart you were to not have splurged on a real suit and that the karting suit or no suit was a smart move? What about your feet and hands?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:25 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Let me ask you this.... If you and your car happen to find yourselves upside down and gas is leaking into the cabin, what kind of suit (if any) do you think you would want to be wearing?
At that moment will you be thinking how smart you were to not have splurged on a real suit and that the karting suit or no suit was a smart move? What about your feet and hands?
That is part of the reason I asked the questions above. But, more importantly, IMO, if this is for DE and there is a budget for safety equipment, he needs to consider the greatest risks and should address those risks, in order.

What should he do? Install a cage, racing seat, harness & fire system. Get a good helmet, HANS, belts, suit, shoes ,socks, etc, etc. If he is not prepared to do that, then consider the greatest risks and go after those. I would add a roll bar before I would spend the $ on a suit. If this is for racing, then much of that is required and it is really a question as to what brand/model you guys prefer.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:34 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I'm thinking I'll get one of these for when I do DEs. May even add a big metal spike to it.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I really dont understand why so many people where a suit for DE.
Seems like you should first get a neckguard/cushion (whatever the proper name is) .. and then get a proper harness or rollbar. ive seen many more cars crash, but have never seen a fire in DE.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:31 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

when i'm racing (lola sports 2000), i use a sparco prima 2 layer w/ underwear, and my shoes are diadora hi tops. i like the diadora shoes because they have the thinest soles for maximum pedal feel. when i was autocrossing, deck shoes sufficed. i've never been to a DE, but any time i'm on a track, at speed, i like to have as much protection as possible in case the unforeseeable happens.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.
Greg and Mark,
With my new car I'll be doing time trial starting in February and I'll need and want complete protection hense the question of preferences. My car will already have roll bar, racing seat, harness & fire extinguisher. I have a great helmet, belts, etc., just wanted suit, boot advice.
Thanks,
JRG
Old 12-27-2004, 11:16 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

In that case, you need to verify requirements (particulary age of belts) but I really like Sparco - suits, shoes and gloves. A 3 layer suit is actually cooler than most 2 layers. Max protection comes with the addition of long nomex underwear, but that can be really oppresive in the desert during the summer. When I raced there, I would skip the long undies in the summer months with a 3 layer suit.

As far as shoes, you really need to try them on as brands differ. Sparco is generally pretty narrow. You will have to decide for yourself whether you want low/mid/hi top shoes. I prefer the support of mid/high top but that is in a lay-down car. I hate Simpson stuff - the newer gear (last few years) seems to wear out really fast.

If you are really serious about safety, I would go with a fire system, not just a bottle. AND a HANS.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

"I have a Stand 21 two layer suit that I like alot, however, I have nothing to compare it to and it is spendy. "

Yeah, but Stand21 suits are like wearing jammies, they're so comfy. There's a lot to be said for being comfortable.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Stand 21 suit and it is a good choice, IMO. But, if I were buying a new suit I would look at CarbonX suits. Here is a recent post that has some links on the Racing board.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/176689-racing-suit-question.html

Quick Reply: Racing shoes and suit recommendations....