Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally a member, wheel question - need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

The factory cup wheels are actually kind of heavy at 26lb front/29lb rear. <edit>I just realized that the cup wheels in question are the 17" cups, not the 18" Supercups. The 17" wheels are lightweight at 18lbs front/19.5 lbs rear. I forgot that he's upgrading from [I]16" wheels[I/]. Sorry for any confusion.

I like the MY02 wheels, too, but am obviously partial to the Fikse FM-10's. I also like the BBS-RSGT wheels. I'll try to post a photo of my car in a few.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-27-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jdoc -

I think I am sold on the MY '02s after seeing them on your car - which is exactly like mine. They look great. I will check the websites you posted. Is it appropriate to post a thread asking for some used MY 02 wheels, or should I stick to the classifieds?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 06:27 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kerry

18" - I too prefer the '02 MY which replaced my Turbo Looks. I was in no rush & lucked into a flawless set on eBay for $1,500 w/o tires & swapped over my PZeros. If you go to 18" on your '95, don't forget the Steering Rack Brace.

17" - The oem 17" Cups are strong, light &, IMO, still look good on a 993. I kept my original set for the track. There is a good supply & if you're patient, you should be able to find a nice set on eBay or Rennlist for $7-800 (+ S&H). This would likely be the most economical high quality upgrade for you.

16" - I use a set of the oem 16" Cups for my winter tires, as do others. Obviously, that's not your climatic need. There is a market for your set on eBay or Rennlist for winter tire use, or as street/track use on older 911s & other P models. You should be able to sell your set for about $4-500 (+ S&H). A trade won't be worth the effort to lift them.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:23 AM
cooz
Pro

i've had my 95 C2 for 2 1/2 yrs and mine too came to me with stock 16"s.

there is basically NO market for these 16"'s except for some 993er's who use them for winter use as second set or rarely some earlier 911's or 944's.

i went to stock 993 17" cup wheels when I got my car and they are a good compromise for appearance, performance and ride quality. my priority is now towards increased performance, so I'm ready for 18's which also look better on these cars. the stock 18" twists look good, but my first choice now would be 8 /1/2 front and 10" rear.. Fikse or BBS RE.

don't know your style, however you might want to sit back and take a deep breath for awhile and just start driving and smilin....i think they call this thing the "slippery slope" and I suspect you may already be on it

cooz 95 C2
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I also have the MY02s (18")--got them off ebay from a guy called "porschewheelguy", and he took my 17" cups in trade [tires had about 75% left on them]...he was great to deal with and I netted out about $1,850 for brand new wheels, Dunlop SP 9000 tires, and painted centercaps...no affiliation, but I would recommend that you give him a ring [I think his number is listed on eBay on one of his auctions]....his name is Rich McSweeney and tell him that I referred you...I already sent another rennlister his way and if he realizes that a few more of us start to go to him we may be able to start getting good deals via volume of business...maybe could get him to sign up to be a rennlist sponsor as well....

Anyhow, once again, no affiliation, just had a good experience with this guy.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:50 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kerry,
Something I find useful is to search the completed auctions on ebay just to see what the market is like for similar items. You could try that to see what your 16s are going for.

My personal preference for road wheels is for the factory turbo 5 spoke wheels. I have seen some very nice hollow spoke wheel on ebay for just over $1000. I recently bought a set for $1200. Here is a link for recently completed 5 spoke wheels to see what they are going for. There is quite a spectrum of prices.

One other thing to watch for with used wheels is the rear wheel offset. The turbo/widebody is incompatible with the normal body wheels. The turbo is a 40mm offset.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis

18" - I prefer the '02 MY which replaced my Turbo Looks.
...Which are now my turbo-looks (which aesthetically, I prefer to the '02MY 18s..).
Dan sold me his meticulously cared for wheels for $800 after I posted a plea for 18s right here on the 993 board last summer. (Thanks again Dan! I'm taking very good care of them...).

Hopefully someone on the board will offer you up a set of rims they no longer need, or are bored with. It beats the hell out of Ebay, when you can deal (mostly) with people you already trust and respect on Rennlist.
Heck I've glommed all kinds of amazing stuff from this board at really fair prices, and made some friends in the process!
If you're resourceful, your membership can pay for itself a thousand times!!

Quick Reply: Finally a member, wheel question - need help