Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Which makes more sense? Opinions needed...making a decision soon! (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/176876-which-makes-more-sense-opinions-needed-making-a-decision-soon.html)

billh1963 12-25-2004 04:50 PM

Which makes more sense? Opinions needed...making a decision soon!

As I search in earnest to replace the '96 C4S I sold last year I find myself caught in a quandry. Initially, I had flirted with the idea of a 2002 or newer 996 but my heart is still drawn to my "first"...the 993. So, after finally "noodling" through that decision over the last few months the 993 is the definite direction.

The car must be a coupe and a lighter color (no black exteriors).

Now, since my max budget is $50K (no TT talk please...my financial discipline is good) which way do I go? :

Buy a nice low mileage "S" car for upper $40k's to around $50K

or

buy a higher mileage (under 80K miles) narrow body (NB) for upper $20k's to very low $30k's?

I have found several nice examples in each range so it's getting close to decision time.

I loved the looks of my C4S and really liked the big reds. However, I have never driven a narrow body so I have no point of reference. I assume they all drive similarly and since I'm not an aggressive driver I doubt that I'll ever hit the limits of the car.

Which car makes more sense from any aspect you can think of (financial, aesthetic, etc.)? Buy a nice "S" knowing that they'll hold their value better in the long run and have that "phat butt" or buy a nice NB for substantially less and save that cash for the stock market, minor mods, etc. Have you been happy with your decision or would you change anything?

Opinions???????

Zed. 12-25-2004 05:20 PM

No slap but I'd go with a 2002 on warranty unless its an occasional weekend ride.

billh1963 12-25-2004 05:31 PM

Good point there...it will be an occasional weekend ride. Definitely not a daily driver.

donsacto 12-25-2004 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill:

I was in your same shoes recently, deciding between a NB or WB car. I'm not planning to track my car so the performance differences on the track, if any, between the two cars was moot. My first love is the WB car due to the J-Lo behind, subtle side skirts, and front & rear bumpers. Oh, also the big reds on the 4S & turbo cars. Well, I started looking for a NB car because the WB cars were out of my price range. I've started looking and driving NB cars but something always lured me back to the WB cars. I've learned from previous car ownership to go with your first love and that if i got a NB car, I would always be yearning the WB car. Turns out I found a WB car for a screaming deal and have no regrets :) Yes, the WB cars a little more rare so I would think they would be worth a tad more money and easier to sell down the line. Either way, both cars are great, figure on minor mods on both cars regardless. Best of luck on your quest for a 993. Here's a pic of my J-Lo butt.

Only1Buck 12-25-2004 06:12 PM

Decide on the color, how you want it optioned then buy the car that best fits that description...however...if you expect you will not keep the car that long I would go for a wide body over the narrow body on the belief that it will hold value better...

Only1Buck 12-25-2004 06:14 PM

I had two 996's a 99 Glacier white blue interior and an 02 Speed Yellow Targa...I came back to the 993...the lines, the sound of the exhaust and the solid sound of the door when you close it...

Air Kuul TT 12-25-2004 06:21 PM

Bill,

Like donsacto, I will never track my car mostly spirited driving. For me I fell in love with the WB the first time I saw it. I have many friends who have NB and prefer the NB less weight, etc. but I knew that I wouldn’t be totally satisfied if I bought one (even though they’re both awesome machines.) I also agree with donsacto that you should get what your first love is and not let the price be the main driver. I truly believe that you can and will find a prefect WB is decent to low mileage.

Best of luck, I'll keep my eyes out too.

Steve 96C4S 12-25-2004 06:21 PM

"I loved the looks of my C4S and really liked the big reds. "

Well, if that's the case, I'd just get another C4S. I was initially going to say that since you already owned a C4S, why not just buy a C2S to be different? I like the look of the narrow body, but I LOVE the look of the widebody. If you buy a C2S, would you really miss those big reds alot? If so, just buy the all wheel drive again. I love the confidence that all wheel drive gives me when driving in the rain, even if it's partial illusion.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/9..._024.sized.jpg

Steve

Mark in Baltimore 12-25-2004 06:26 PM

Good answers so far but another consideration is to ask yourself how likely are you to mod your car? If likely, go for a NB. If you'll keep it bone-stock, go WB. You're likely to see very little difference between the two cars' width. Compared to most 911's, the NB 993, as you know, is still quite wide.

No regrets with my NB car here, other than maybe wishing I could've afforded a 964 cup car.

Air Kuul TT 12-25-2004 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

ask yourself how likely you are to mod your car?
Good point.... the slipery slope is awful once you own these cars. I am still trying to explain it to my wife without much success :banghead:

Mark in Baltimore 12-25-2004 06:42 PM

Also, you can either paint your black brakes red, if you must have "the look" or get big reds to have "the stop" without really needing it. (The big reds' main braking advantage is being able to handle more heat without fade. Fade is not likely to ever happen on the street unless you're agrovating your stoppers by braking too much down a mountain road and by having crappy brake fluid in the system.)

Chuck W. 12-25-2004 06:43 PM

If I got a TT or WB I would never add any mods. Oh, wait...I've been down this road before. Never mind....

mr_bock 12-25-2004 08:24 PM

You just gott'a do what will make 'you' happy, wb/nb/mods/no mods, etc.... LOL

For me, sponge soaping those wide hips.....

Midnight C4S 12-26-2004 12:20 AM

I'll say what I've said before to same Q. If you look at a wide body side by side and don't REALLY care that much, go NB by all means. But if you like me fell head over heals for the something you can't put your finger on but have to have it or I will always regret not getting it Wide body, then anti up and get after that WB Old sport, IMHO you will never regret that you paid more. I bought mine 8 months ago and don't think I've ever thought back about how much more the WB cost me over similar NB , but like I said if you don't really have that attraction for the WB don't get it, it's going to be much harder to find and $$.

Steve 96C4S 12-26-2004 12:42 AM

I don't know about wanting that wider body, I just wanted the cool 4S logo on the back of my car. :cheers: http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/96c4s/C4S_logo.jpg