Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Reload this Page >

Which makes more sense? Opinions needed...making a decision soon!

Notices

Which makes more sense? Opinions needed...making a decision soon!

Old 12-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Speedraser
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love the "NB," which doesn't look narrow at all. IMO, all 993s look wide. I prefer the lighter weight and more adjustable feel of the standard Carrera to any of the "S" cars. Since you haven't driven one, go drive one! And look at it closely -- if it doesn't look right to you, then you have your answer. If it does, you might also consider an "NB" in beautiful condition -- still less $$ than a WB, and a better drive IMO.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:30 AM
k00k
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr_bock
For me, sponge soaping those wide hips.....
Hehe. After looking at the pics above, I'm thinking I'll want to soap those hips up also. I may need a WB mistress. Funny, thing is, I've never been a fan of a broader beam-ed lady. Till now...

cheers
Mal
Old 12-26-2004, 08:45 AM
solsrch
User

I needed a cabriolet (I prefer mine topless), so wider body was never an issue. NB is plenty wide and beautiful in my eyes. I would argue, and have done so before, that buying/owning one of these cars is about an emotional, not purely intellectual, thing. Think about it too much and you'll wind up wishing you had just listened to your little voice instead of the financial planner in you. It sounds to me like you need broader hips or you'll just wind up looking around instead of enjoying the one you're taking home at night. I'm a NB guy throwing my vote in with the others that say get the WB, it sounds right for you.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:20 AM
delanobe
User

The " problem " with the NB is that if you want it to look really great you have to put big $ in it.
For a J-Lo look you will need:

- PSS9 (or something similar) +/- 2800€
- TT front +/-1000€
- 18" wheels +/-3200€
- Big reds +/-2000€
- Split grill +/- 350€
- Turbo S scoops +/- 300€
--------------
Total 9350€ 12.000$

If you can find a NB with all these options (and they are rare, at least here in Belgium) at a good price I would choose for the NB but if you can't find one go for the WB (it has the J-Lo look standard).

I did these mods step by step and now my car really has a fat/agressive stance when you look at it.
A friend of mine has a standard polar silver 4S and when they are side by side mine even looks meaner than the S and is alot faster.
I think that the most important thing is to find a car you fall love with at first sight.

Regards
Old 12-26-2004, 11:20 AM
billh1963
Addict
Rennlist Member

I originally bought the C4S for the wide rear end...I love the look of the car at certain angles. However, my financial challenge to myself is the question of whether the extra 1.5" width per side is worth an extra $10K...I just don't know. I am naturally, like any addict, ridiculously going to a board of addicts to ask if I should continue using the drug causing my addiction

The 997 S cars have certainly brought a lot of the great looks back with some needed refinement. I'm not a Porsche purist at heart (I won't get into the air/oil vs. water cool debate) but I have to admit that the 996 forum stories of RMS issues and others would certainly make me hesitate to buy any new water cooled car. As much as I love the 993 if I thought a 997 was as well engineered I'd wait a year or so to buy one.

So, for now, it looks like a 993 is the best Porsche product made to date and is the one to get (hence the great resale value)!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 AM
delanobe
User

How is the search going?

regards
Old 12-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

if I thought a 997 was as well engineered I'd wait a year or so to buy one.
I'll bet it's quite well engineered. However, I'd be concerned about how well it will work over time. All new cars have so much stuff that's computerized it's a wonder they work at all. And when they don't work good luck figuring out the source of the problem or finding someone who can.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 AM
billh1963
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Ron,
I see you're from my old stomping grounds...

Anyway, since I am a degreed engineer I feel qualified to speak a little to this issue. IMHO the RMS failures speak to an engineering problem. If it were only a couple engines failing then you could attribute the issues to normal failures expected in a statistical reliability model. From my understanding (after reading the 996 boards in this and other forums plus other sources) the RMS failure is very prevalent. In fact, I'm surprised that there is not a class action suit being initiated.

It looks to me like buying a used 996 without knowing the full history from day one would be extremely risky unless you have a good warranty. Don't get me wrong...I like the 996 and especially the 997. I just think that the 993 has the total package: looks, pedigree, "bullet proof" engine, and build quality!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:37 AM
ventoGT
User

I love my NB Carrera personally...I do really like the wider hips of the WB cars, but they were out of my price range...not to mention that you can add TT front brakes and RS rears for about $2,500 including stainless lines et al...IMO, you can get a comparatively good deal on a NB in great condition b/c the WBs cost so much more...with the money you save, you can add all sorts of goodies [Big reds, PSS9s, mufflers] and still be in for less than a bone stock WB. I must say that I do like the cleaner side sills of the NB, and with the MY02 5 spoke wheels the car looks terrific.

Just an opinion, and as others have said, go with what your heart tells you and make sure the car checks out and of course, keep us all updated with your search!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: