993 Forum 1995-1998

Super Charger and Valuation Question

Old 12-21-2004, 01:28 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Super Charger and Valuation Question

I like huge horsepower and big torque numbers just like everyone else, but I have some questions about super charging as it relates to economics.

First, would anyone ever buy a 993 that has a super charger already installed? Would you likely think that the PO installed a different type or kit than what you would have done? Would you think the car was thoroughly thrashed after the SC installation? If you are not going to hammer it then why bother with a SC? Would you trust anyone else's ability to do a DIY install or pick the right shop for the installation? It seems that all of these questions would prevent anyone from ever buying a 993 with an installed supercharger.

Let's say you have spent $35K on your 1996 C2 coupe, and then you buy a supercharger kit for $10K and need to have it installed and tweaked and fiddled with until it is right, probabkly another $3K.

You now have $48K invested in a car that has WAAAAYYYYY more motor than suspension. So now you need to beef that up and probably bigger brakes if you track the car, and 18" wheels wouldn't be too bad either. Looks like abnother $5K in those modifications. Now you are up to $53K, and what do you have in terms of re-sale?

In addition, none of these modifications can be financed with a used car loan, and must be paid for in upfront funds or the dreaded credit card.

Why wouldn't you just buy a 993tt, even if it is a higher mileage example. You then have the real-deal with the beefier suspension, brakes, and wheels. You also have an asset that has a clearly defined value and a large audience when you go to sell it.

How do you guys that have put super chargers in your 993s justify the economics?? I know the performance is AWESOME, but generally you didn't get the extra money for these toys by not considering the economics of things.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but many of us could care less what the sale value of our car is. We mod them and drive them to enjoy. If you want an investment, don't look at a car. And why do you assume that a mod that increases the HP of a car automatically translates into abuse of the car? You can abuse a 100 HP car just as easily as a 500 HP one.

But, I drive my car to enjoy it. I expect ZERO value when I am through with it. In the meantime, what a blast!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:43 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't actually have an SC kit yet but will soon. I've thought about resale value with the kit and can agree with others that have stated before that this is 'bolt-on" horsepower so it can be removed at the time of re-sale. Re-sale value of these kits used is very good as well. Many of the gentleman with SC kits have stated that they plan on keeping their cars forever or for a very very long time anyway which is what I plan on doing. SC'ing an NA is somewhat of a 'novelty', in that they are rarely seen. Driving something different is part of the attraction as well. As far as bigger brakes, wheels, upgraded suspension, I've already done those.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think the suspension is an issue in comparing a supercharged 993 to a TT, since both stock cars have mediocre suspensions. If you spend $60k on a TT, I'm afraid it'll be very high mileage and this would really scare me. Think "new turbos". Plus, you can find a VERY nice 993 for $35k.

I would NOT assume that a SC'd car was thrashed. I would assume that it was never tracked (since I've never heard of this being done), but I would also recognize that the added stress on the drivetrain would have some effect on life (which I could not even guess). I wouldn't be reluctant to buy a SC'd car, but I also wouldn't pay much more for it. A couple thousand $$ but not $10k. It would be crucial for me to trust the seller and see that he had the install done properly. If it were some punk who doesn't know anything about his car, I'd pass.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

if buy a TT with stock suspension, then you have to budget $5k for suspension upgrade on the TT. My new TT had 30k miles and the suspension was dangerously bad - the upgrade was not a treat, but essential. any work on these cars is expensive, so its best to have a long term view and just enjoy them for what they are.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:44 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I have been contemplating the SC issue for a long time. I like the idea of removing the SC before resale and selling it seperately. Then again, I can't imagine ever selling my baby!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:27 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Well said 1999Porsche911! I have all of the stock parts from my car, but I can't imagine putting any of the parts back on!!! I will enjoy the car and the awesome new found power it has for a long time.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2004, 10:51 PM
D.G..
Instructor

I know you guys are just talking, but personally, if I bought a nice, stock 993 from a guy and later found out that he had a supercharger on it and removed it before the sale, I would be seriously pissed off. Some sort of retribution would be in order. But hey, it's just talk...

Someone who is new to 993s probably wouldn't touch a car with a SC installed. They would want their new baby to be as stock as possible. But someone who has owned a 993 before could very well be interested, especially if the installation is clean and car has been meticulously maintained. That would be of paramount importance to me. Either way, the demand is always smaller for a highly modified car.

Last edited by D.G..; 12-21-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:17 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Sorry, but many of us could care less what the sale value of our car is. We mod them and drive them to enjoy. If you want an investment, don't look at a car. And why do you assume that a mod that increases the HP of a car automatically translates into abuse of the car? You can abuse a 100 HP car just as easily as a 500 HP one.

But, I drive my car to enjoy it. I expect ZERO value when I am through with it. In the meantime, what a blast!!!

Can't really understand why anyone would not be interested in the value of their car (or any other asset they own). I don't care how much money somebody has, they still use logic and common sense occassionally. Also, i assume a modification that increases a cars power is going to be used HARD, or why the hell bother installing the damn thing. it certainly isn't to increase the vlaue of the car,

With that said, I understand that you don't care about the price of the modification as these are rarely re-couped with the sale of any car. My contention is that you have LOWERED the value of the base car by adding a supercharger, and this makes no sense to me. If you wnat more power and have a carefree attitude about money (which you must have to contemplate a supercharger) I think you would always be better off with a 993tt from the start.

Can somebody give me a real-world scenerio that shows a supercharger add-on to be more cost effective than buying a 993tt to start?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:31 AM
cecil
Instructor

well mine was cheaper, ran great and sold fast. the new owner loves it. a supercharged 993 is still a c2 not a c4. that matters to some people. real world.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:33 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try driving a properly supercharged car and you'll see how much more power they have at the bottom end. It is night and day compared to a turbo on the same engine. Less maintanance and problems also. I believe you'll see more and more cars abondoning the turbo engine and going supercharger as the years go by. It is just more efficent and provides more power. There is just no better induction system to give you bottom end power.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cecil
well mine was cheaper, ran great and sold fast. the new owner loves it. a supercharged 993 is still a c2 not a c4. that matters to some people. real world.
Cecil,

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me the total cost of buying and installing your SC and what the selling price of your car was and the year and mileage. If you do not want this to be public information, could you PM me with the numbers. I am just curious and have no intention of using the numbers for evil.

Does anyone else have any real sales figures for supercharged 993s??
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Cecil,

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me the total cost of buying and installing your SC and what the selling price of your car was and the year and mileage. If you do not want this to be public information, could you PM me with the numbers. I am just curious and have no intention of using the numbers for evil.

Does anyone else have any real sales figures for supercharged 993s??

I dont have any figures but what I do have is a OMG..

Another Porsche Guy on rennlist in SW Ohio but anyways welcome.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
I dont have any figures but what I do have is a OMG..

Another Porsche Guy on rennlist in SW Ohio but anyways welcome.

Thanks for the welsome, I have been a rennlist member since the beginning, before rennlist, and porschelist and before John Dunkle took the initiative. I just bought my 993 this Summer and joined this great group of people. Prior to the 993 I had a 1985 Carrera Cabriolet and a 1989 Carrera Coupe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super Charger and Valuation Question