DAS Rollbar, seat travel, and harness loops

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAS Rollbar, seat travel, and harness loops

Hi Everyone;

Did a search, but did not really find anything related to this question.

1. For those of you that have 993 coupes, and the standard (or sport) seats, did you notice any loss of travel or reasonable recline capabilities once the DAS bar was installed? I am rather tall in the torso, and need to typically move my seats back and recline slightly to fit in the car properly with a helmet on. Has anybody had an issues with this?

2. Did any of you guys order your DAS bars with the harness loops installed, and if so where they properly positioned for the stock seats? Trying to decide if I should order the loops or have them welded/installed locally once the baris fitted in the car.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 11-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Eric,

I'm just about 6' with a long torso and did not experience any reclining restrictions. As far as the loops, I opted to leave them off since I knew I was going to have seats with harness holes in them. With your stock seats, I'd want them perfectly positioned to minimize any chance of the belts from sliding off of your shoulders. Maybe DAS has the exact positions and can weld them where you need them, if you're going to go new.

A couple of things: I think Anir had some issues with his loops being positioned in the wrong place, causing a kink as it passed through the GT3 seat guides. I believe he had to re-weld it. Also, many people feel that racing harnesses and stock seats are a dangerous combo since the shoulder straps may fall off of your shoulders, even with the loops. A sternum strap is supposed to help prevent this.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Racer944
Racer

Hi Mark;

Thanks very much for the info. Good advice on the stock seat/harness item. I do intend to get a set of Recaro seats with harness slots, but I may be doing one or two DE events with the stock sport seats so I though having the loops would at least give me some options. Having said that, the Rampack 6pt belts do have a sternum strap.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 11-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,
I ran DE for years with stock seats and harnesses. I did have a sternum strap. Many PCA regions are beginning investigate the safety of this combo as Mark suggested. I think part of the problem is that novice drivers are getting a little too much confidence with harnesses and might be driving over their skill level. Good luck and nice car!
Tony

Quick Reply: DAS Rollbar, seat travel, and harness loops