Sponsored by:

Only for those with strong stomachs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 11:07 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<STRONG>P K, takes two to tango - what was this numnut doing driving at 100 MPH - on public roads - in a pouring rain? Even if it's the no-speed-limit Autobahn, it's just plain stupid.

As you and Jeff said, glad that no one was hurt in this wreck - and how anyone survived Jeff C's post is beyond me!</STRONG>

Ray, this was in the UK. I drive to work every day at close on 100mph and think nothing of it. You adapt your driving to the speed you get used to travelling.
Sure, things happen a lot quicker at 100mph compared to 55mph, or 70mph as it should be here. It is an accepted fact that speed does not kill, or cause accidents.
It is inappropriate speed that kills.
I don't accept that 100mph in the rain on a straight bit of three-lane motorway is inappropriate, unless your 10 feet from the car in front !
If you read the post again it sounds like it was the fool behind being too close, or not paying attention. Look at it this way, if your doing 60mph, come to a stop and the car behind doesn't, were you wrong to be doing 60 ??

I don't want to start a major discussion on this, but just felt you may like to consider a different view point.

Bottom line: 100mph is not irresponsible if the conditions allow it and driving pattern is modified to suit.

[bleat mode: off]

Cheers,
John (who will be driving home soon at somewhere over 80mph)
Old 08-31-2001, 06:05 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The Problem is if you really want a save car you better drive a tank and if two tanks are crashing you also get killed inside as no crumblezone will brake down the energy and you brain will be swoshed to soup ( HIC ).

Now if you ban dacotas or lets say give them brakes that are god enough to stop like a car ( not a Porsche ) and also some other safty devices for the partners then the think would look a other way.
But as long your little Trucks brake as good as a Modell T and have the power of a rocket ship and prominent hard bullbars that only get scratches and blood splashs while squezing a subcompact into a metallbulk, so long many inocent victims will get killed while the driver off that car says " poor guy he couldn´t afford a right car with 8,0 Liter V10 and 500 HP so he anyhow shouldn´t had plyed with us big guys in traffic".

See the point ?

BTW speed doesn´t kill only people who can´t control themself. And even 55 is to much for some guys out there. Especially if they hit that barrier within 50 meter leaving the parking lot.

Driving 100 mls in rain is very normal in europe mostly you are sensetive enough to feel the road and the linmits ( Some are not ) and noone is pressed to have the same speed but while you have a perfect car others with a not so perfect car and skill just hang on you like the sheep on the hearddog and those guys are the high risk as you can´t control them and those guys also never have enough brain or feeling to control themself. If you read the story it is the typicall accident in europe. Most Porsche get rearended.

Some 10 years ago there was a strange highspeed accident on the german highway.
During the press release from a new high performance car two very good drivers where heading down the highway. Now as the Porsche was a good car to blow the lane free the other high performance car ( witch the company claimed to be far superior to the old 928 design ) followed him. The first problem was that car didn´t could keep up at topspeed so they used the windshadowgame to pull the slower car in ther drag. Well this guy didn´t hanged on direct as noone with brain and love to his licence will go under theminimum alloewd distance but he was so close that he was on the 1 secound zone.

And as things happend the typicall truck moved over and bloked the open lane. Both drivers where hiting there brakes

Now while the 928 made a full stop down to 100 km/h the superhighperformance car reaerended the 928 with some 150 km/h and ping ponged it against the truck.

And this happend to cool blooded professionals.

If I drive on the highway I mostly drive with the rearviewmirror in the right eye as the danger comes from the rear.
Grüsse
Old 09-01-2001, 04:56 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

That accident in the photo was awesome. When you consider it, the idea of a pheasant or small animal getting in your way and changing your life like that is cause for pause.

I was on a highway I often use when I return from the city - fortunately I was well within the speed limit when a 5-10 pound possum sauntered in front of me. Fortunately I could react quickly and get around him safely. If I'd been going as fast as I used to drive when I was in my 20's, I'd have been airborn.

As far as this Porsche was concerned, being surprised by a wild turkey is not unusual - like being aware of the potential for deer, groundhogs, children or anything else, he should have followed the maxim: Drive at a speed appropriate to your range of vision.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:44 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
high,
I agree w/ the Big Guy,Why not just try not to over react and blast the pheasent? It probablly would have done alot less damage to the driver and the car. when I drive I stay prepared for anything to jump in my way(and to hold my lane should it happen),and it seems like a good defense, having to either run over or slam into geese,crows, squirlls,chip munks,possums,ground hogs, turtles,snakes,vultures,a group of turkeys in the road etc.I've seen alot,swerving out of a lane to save a small animals life only to put your own in danger is not a good defense when behind the wheel,your car will run over these animals like pavement, when you get home ya just gotta wash the guts out from the wheel wells,
swerving should be a last resort for not being able to stop for that child,deer or cow,
and if a swerve is unevitable;try to the right(shoulder in US)., not even worth .02
Old 09-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Silverstone last Saturday.
Was a 993 Turbo

Old 09-06-2001, 07:07 AM
John W
Pro

Rocket, your car ???

Regardless, what happened ?
I assume it was during a track session.

Somebody has a big bill coming their way
Old 09-06-2001, 08:05 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Ouch, this was at Trax 2001, an annual event held at Silverstone every year. It really is a lunatic event, you get a load of young spotty idiots in soupped up Hondas etc. The day has track sessions split over the day that various car clubs book onto. You get 15mins track time (enough for maybe 3 laps), so everyone gets the 'Red Mist' and tries stupid Banzai laps, without warming the cars properly etc. NOT a proper track day at all.

Anyway, this guy in the 993TT was having trouble shaking off a 4WD Ford Cosworth, tried too hard and put a wheel on the grass. He then made a very quick trip to the Armco. He was OK, but a bit shaken, totally admitted it was his fault, trying too hard too soon. Damage is very heavy. A Subaru Impreza P1 also rolled 3 or 4 times, again the driver was relatively unhurt which is the main thing.

Regards
Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 08:09 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

If that was your car Rocket, totally sympapthise with you. Apparantly there were a load of stupid idiots putting notes on the car like 'nice car, learn to drive it mate' etc.

Regards
Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 08:15 AM
Rocket
Instructor

Not mine, thankfully.

Rocket
Old 09-06-2001, 09:11 AM
John W
Pro

Ah yes, I heard about that.

Some guys at the Corrado Club mentioned this to me earlier in the week. All sorts of nutters on the track made it very silly by all accounts.

Apparently that Cossie was exceptionaly quick.
Poor bloke in the TT should have just let him go. Better to go home with dented pride than a dented car...

So Eric & Rocket, where are you guys from and what you driving ??

Cheers,
John (Iris blue 94 993 C2)
Old 09-06-2001, 09:20 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

I'm not all that far from you John, New Malden in Surrey - I've got a 1994 993 C2, Metallic Black with 993 'Turbo Look' alloys.

Are there ever any meets down Surrey way??

Regards
Eric
Old 09-06-2001, 10:05 AM
John W
Pro

Hi ya.

Yep, there are PCA meets at a pub near Cobham.
The name escapes me at the moment, but its the one with the old carriage outside, on the old A3 heading out of Cobham towards esher. I think its on the second tuesday of every month, but best check. I don't make this meet as it clashes with a bike club committee meeting I have to attend.

I do however try to make the meet that the 911 & porsche world mag organise at the pub in walton-on-the-hill every few months.
See this link - the pub is in the top end of Deans Lane http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...73&multimap.y= 167

I've met Steve Wall from Bromley there a few times.
There are other rennlisters about the area too, but as yet only spoken ot them via email.
I'm now downin Cranleigh, but still only 35 minutes from you.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:35 AM
Rocket
Instructor

West London. 993RS.

Rocket
Old 09-06-2001, 11:42 AM
John W
Pro

another pic of that crashed 993 TT at Trax for the benefit of the others.

I guess you guys got these from the same site as me then

Looking at the angle of the rear wheel, I would guess this one will be going to the big scrapyard in the sky.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:03 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Eric, John and Rocket,

There is a PCGB meet in Capel (near Dorking) this Saturday 8th, starting around 2.

I am going and seeing if I meet up with any "virtual" acquaintances made through Rennlist.

Maybe see you there as well?

Quick Reply: Only for those with strong stomachs