Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Houston Dealerships - Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 10:31 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B-Line,

I specifically remember that his 97TT was in the 100k range (as i'm usually peeking at TT prices, just in case...) Now i see it at 99xxx. Also, i can't believe that RPM would let a 2001 coupe w/ only 375 miles and nice options go for under 70k.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:42 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kev, the 993 model cars have sustained a higher resale value than the 996 cars. There are many theories on this that I won't go into, but Ray's cars are showroom quality. When I decided to sell my '95 Cab for a '98 S car, I took a look at what Ray had in stock, and there were many, many excellent condition cars. At the time, there were about 20 or so premium S and and C4S cars available. I picked my '98 because it was loaded with options, including aero kit, litronics, etc and because it looked as if someone MAYBE drove it a few times a year. Sure, I could have gone somewhere else, but I may not have been as happy with the decision. Maybe I paid too much I don't know. But what I do know is that I'm a happy customer, and an enthusiast.

-Matt

P.S. The two '94 Turbo S flatnose cars he has are absolute GOD.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:28 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
I would love to buy a car from RPM, they are soooo clean, so low mileage, but out of my price range. Besides, I would hate to take one of those cars to the track. It would be like taking the prom queen to a foxy boxing night and making her duke it out...
Old 12-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

B-Line, I'm with you. I'm in love with the 993 C2S, but I'd wind up treating like a garage queen. I couldn't bear to track the car.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:40 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
check out the additional charge for the flatnose package on RPM's 94 Turbo S window sticker(s). *OOF*!
Old 12-11-2001, 01:57 PM
Jim 97 C4S
Track Day

Once again I must refute the claim that RPM Sports Cars or Ray Joseph is reputable dealer. There may be people who have had a good experience with him but my experience has cost me money and some grief.

I purchased a 97 C4S from Ray Joseph of RPM Sports Cars in Houston TX (RPMSPORTSCARS.COM). The car was represented to have had a few rock chips that had been touched up, and a scrape on the under side of the front bumper that he has touched up on all the Porsches he sells.

I live in the Seattle area, and have taken the car to three high quality body shops for opinions and estimates. All three shops say the car has been repainted, with the exception of the top of the car. Also the front bumper was replaced and done poorly. Finally, there is one hollow Turbo wheel and three C4S wheels. This indicates to me that caused a wheel to be damaged enough that it had to be replaced.

Don McGill Porsche in Houston did the pre-purchase inspection. The Service Manager, Steve Mikula, did the inspection and now says the car checked out fine but the Service Department does not look to see if cars are repainted.

Mechanically the car checks out.

The written estimates to correct the paint, bumper and wheel problem are $2931, $3440 and $11,267 (complete repaint).

Ray Joseph’s solution is to give me $500 for good will, and a C4S wheel in exchange for the Turbo wheel. He is now admitting the car did have some paintwork and the front bumper replaced; none of which was disclosed at the time of purchase. When I had the front bumper refitted, the body shop found damage to the right front frame extension.

Either Ray Joseph does not know the true condition of the cars he sells, or he lies about their condition. Any car dealer worth his salt can tell if a car has been repainted. If Ray did not know it had been repainted, I would not want to business with him. If he did know the car had been repainted and lied about it, I would not want to do business with him.

The bottom line to me is that the car is a good car, but not as good as was disclosed at the time of purchase. It will cost me to correct Ray Joseph’s misdeeds. Ray is a very slick salesman who has difficulty being truthful. It is my hope that others will avoid the frustration of dealing with this person. Assume Ray is lying and you may come out of the deal with your hide.

My experience with Ray Joseph indicates he will lie to you until he gets your money. He will then change his story when presented with facts, which dispute his claims of selling only the highest quality Porsches. He is a despicable human being and does not deserve your business.

I have three quality body shops that have proved to me that the car Ray sold me has had paintwork and minor bodywork. Until Ray makes right the misrepresentations he made to me, he will remain a crook in my book.

Ray preys on Porsche enthusiast’s dream of owning the perfect car.

Be patient and as unemotional as possible when searching for a Porsche. Get a PPI from an independent. Digital pictures are nice to use as wallpaper on a computer but not to use to buy a Porsche.
Good hunting.
Jim
Old 12-11-2001, 02:12 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim,

I'm really glad you posted that message. Although it's not nice to slam businesses, it's my opinion that everyone should know about dealerships and service stations that are not on the level. If you got screwed by Ray, LET EVERYONE KNOW. Your experience could help others not have the same problem. It will also force Ray Joseph to have to deal with his unsatisfied customers.
He will not be selling cars to anyone if the word gets out that he is a schister.
I think that any business that screws a customer deserves to be slammed in a news group. The power we have as customers is in information.
But it's also impt. to post when a dealership/station works to correct a problem or goes above and beyond what a customer would expect. If we all stick together, we will be better informed and educated as who to do business with.
Good luck with your PCAR...
Old 12-11-2001, 07:44 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I was lucky.

MC
Old 12-11-2001, 11:12 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by B-Line:
<STRONG>It would be like taking the prom queen to a foxy boxing night and making her duke it out...</STRONG>
What's wrong with that!?!?!?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:27 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Yeah guys, Ray is dropping his prices. Two (or more, i didn't look) of his REALLY nice '98 993 c4s when down 2k.

About the original topic of this thread...
I recall reading in a past issue of Excellence an interview with the president of P-North America. He mentioned that Houston was the second largest sales area for P-cars, second to Miami, i think. He has discussing 996's but maybe this translate roughly to 993's. So perhaps the large flux of our cars in H-town might have a legit reason?

Quick Reply: Houston Dealerships - Should I be concerned?