Seeking 993 vs reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Seeking 993 vs reviews

Most of you guys have already read Rob Wolford's review on the 993 TT vs the Ferrari 550.

It gave me an idea to add a car comparison review section to the p-car.com site.

I think it would be very interesting to have a collections of 993 vs. XYZ reviews done by different people.

If you have a review you would like to submit, all you have to do is to type it up in words and maybe attach a few photos and I will take care of the rest. You will be given full credit for each of the reviews posted.

Thank you
Old 01-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Robin,

Per your request, I've just written up my review... I'll email you the Word document

1997 Porsche 993 C4S vs. 2001 BMW E46 M3

In April 2001, I bought a 2001 Carbon Black BMW E46 M3 6-spd and I was very excited about it at that time. I had a 1997 E36 M3 before and figured out that I can use the more advance technology that BMW put in their engine, producing an extra 93 hp from the previous generation M3.

I was really excited with my new car in the first few months but then I felt something is missing from it. I felt that I like the handling of my previous E36 M3 better, I also felt that the steering feel of the new car is a bit light, giving me a less road feel/feedback than the older M3 and personally I felt that the new M3 is a bit too big for a sports car. Oh and I personally don’t like the raspy sound of the exhaust when I rev’ed up the engine either.

But other than that, the new M3 is obviously faster and comfortable (roomier, very comfortable sport seats, NAV, and other comfort features).

A friend of mine who is an excellent driver on and off the track, complained about warping the rotors and running out of brake pads on his E46 M3 everytime he comes home from a driving event. So he tried to fix this problem by replacing the rotors with the Euro Cross-drilled rotors but it did not help him. He finally found what he was looking for with the Brembo Big Brakes Kit and so far he is very happy with it. So if you are into driving the M3 on the track, it is highly recommended that you upgrade the brakes on this car.

A few months after owning the M3, I felt dissatisfied with the reasons I mentioned above. I felt that I should have kept my previous M3. Well I always wanted a Porsche, specifically the 993 model so I started to send emails to some 993 owners that I met from Rennlist or from Tracquest driving events. In my emails, I was asking for advices and inputs from these 993 owners and they really helped me a lot. I really appreciate their help during my search

It took me approximately 2 months to find the 993 that I’ve been looking for. During my search, I considered cars from other states as well (Florida, Virginia, Georgia, etc.) but I decided that with this kind of money I will not buy a car that I have never seen before and of course I would like to have the car PPI’ed before I made a decision to buy it. Eventually I am very grateful that I was able to find a mint Silver on Black 993 C4S at a local dealer here in the SF Bay area. I bought my 1997 993 C4S on Oct 31st, 2001. This car is literally a dream come true to me, I have never thought that I will own a Porsche before and I am very very happy with this car to say the least.

From my short experience with the 993 and my amateur/beginner’s driving skills on the track, here are my comparisons between the 993 and the E46 M3.

Acceleration: Obviously, the M3 is faster than the 993. From the seat of the pants, I can also feel that the M3 has more torque than the 993. The acceleration response of this car when you step on the gas pedal is just amazing. In my opinion, the new M3 has the best natural aspirated inline-six engine so far.

Handling: I like the handling of the 993 much much better than the M3. Even though I think the M3 is more forgiving (especially with its DSC on) but I feel more connected with the feedback in my 993. The 993 also feels more planted than the M3 and I am hoping to make my 993 a better handling car with the PSS-9 kit that I am ordering now. Oh… that and of course, learning on how to drive the car on the track.

Interior: Obviously you can fit more people (or dogs?) in the M3 and you have more comfort-feature too in the M3. I overheard somebody saying that the dashboard of the 993 looks like that in the U-haul truck. Well, I personally like the dashboard of the 993 because all that I need is there and I do not need and do not like the luxurious (or yuppy?) Jaguar/Benz/Lexus dashboard design.

Styling: How could you compare the classic line of a 993 with the styling of the M3? In my opinion the 993 looks much much better than the M3. A while ago when I was still dreaming about the 993 (I still am), I was walking with my fiancée in downtown Los Gatos and saw a parked Silver 993 C4S. My fiancée was going into a store and I told her if I could wait outside instead of going into the store with her. She said yes, so I was standing outside and staring at the 993 until she got out of the store. I still do that every now and then when I go downstairs to my garage to take a peek at the 993.

Brakes: The Big Red wins… hands down

Driving Experience: Every week, I am always looking forward to Saturday morning when I can drive my 993 on an empty backroads/mountain roads here and … take a picture of some cows (just kidding Matt). It is a stress relieve for me and I really enjoy it. All I can say is that so far my experience with the 993 has been really great and I am hoping that I will not have to sell my 993 ever. I am thankful to God that I am given the privilege to own and drive this amazing car.

Thank you for reading….. oh and of course, this is just my personal opinion/review. Others may vary.

Old 01-31-2002, 03:43 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Awesome dude!

It is now in the p-car.com reviews page

Thanks

Robin

<a href="http://p-car.com/reviews/" target="_blank">P-car.com Reviews</a>
Old 01-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
Great review Pin. I find myself lusting for a new M3 with the SMGII gearbox. Unfortunately, I am officially on "new toy probation" for the rest of 2002, unless I win the lotto!
Old 01-31-2002, 04:33 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by Rob W.:
<strong>1998 Ferrari 550M (wife not happy with me for this one!!)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rob,

Was it because of the Playboy bunny?

Old 01-31-2002, 05:03 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Robin..

I also wanted to chime in with a review.
Hope this helps..

Audi 2000 S4 (modded)
vs. 1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 2S

I bought my first Audi Quattro in 1996. It was an A4 fully loaded. I loved the car but eagerly awaited the release of the Bi Turbo S4.
When The S4 arrived in the States, I had one of the first off the boat. I absolutely loved it. It was everything the A4 was in a car but faster and nicer looking both inside and out. I took delivery of it in Sept of 1999.
I was living in New York at the time and was fortunate enough to track it at Lime Rock and Pocono before I moved South to Miami. Once I arrived in Miami last January, I started to mod the car. I started with a chip, exhaust, and air filter, which bumped the stock S4 from 250hp to 320hp. I then upgraded all my hoses, short shifter, brakes, wheels and tires for the track.
I tracked the S4 at Moroso, Homestead and Sebring.
The most beautiful thing about the S4 was it's ability to stomp any car off the line in the rain or shine. It's biggest disappointment was the amount of push and body roll the car had on the track (which was subsequently solved with slicks.)
After 2 1/2 years of modding, romping, tracking, the car, I felt it was time for me to move to something a little less easy to drive.
My skill level as a track driver had increased significantly and the S4 was just to easy to throw around the track. If the car started to push, just lift and wait for the nose to tuck back in. Then, back on the power.
I had my heart set on a C4S and thought that the AWD system would really help me feel at home since I had been driving AWD for 5 years.
I then went to skip barber racing school and got my first taste for RWD track driving. What a rush!
On my drive home from Daytona (Skippy school,) I decided that RWD was for me. I set my scopes on a widebody 911 because I love the look and styling of the big fat a**. I've also always been a huge fan of the 911 it's been a long time dream.
So after just 22,000 miles I said goodbye to my Audi and opened up the door for my new Pcar. I took delivery 3 weeks ago and here is my review.

-Car- 1997 Carrera 993 C2S. Artic Silver, Factory Aero Kit, Aluminum upgrade, Hi-fi, Motorsound, Limited slip, sport seats and a 6-spd transmission.

I would classify my driving skills as an advanced intermediate. I have driven over 30 track days and nine tracks, but have not raced. I was signed off on Sunday though for my PCA race license.

Acceleration:Off the line, the S4 modded was a monster, after adding Bypass Valves there was no apparent lag and the S4 really pinned you to your seat all the way through the gears. The short shifter also contributed to the amazing off the line feel of the S4.
The Pcar also has amazing acceleration, at least until you hit the bottom of second gear. I often feel like I'm waiting to hit that power band at the top part of the gear.
Verdict: S4 for Acceleration (off the line.)
Pcar, for acceleration at highway speeds.

Handling:Even with my stock Pcar suspension, the 911 wins hands down. The center of gravity is much better and although I could always count of the front wheels from my S4 to pull me through a turn, the correct amount of trailing oversteer in the 911 smashes any feeling that the S4 could come close to even hanging.
(then again, I haven't driven the Pcar on the track in the rain yet!)
Verdict: Pcar..

Interior: The S4 was much more roomy and ergonomic, the climate control buttons were easy to find, the stereo system was better,
Verdict: Pcar... A rolls royce might have the nicest interior in the world, real plush and comfortable, buttons right where you want them, etc. But come on... It's a 911.. Looks and feels just the way you want a porsche to.

Styling:One of the most beautiful sports cars ever made vs. a boxy sedan... No contest.
Especially with the aero kit.. I can sit and look at my pcar or even pictures of it all day and not get bored..
Verdict: Pcar.

Brakes: I don't have big reds. After a weekend at Sebring, I don't think I need em either. I couldn't believe how much stopping power I had in the 911. I had upgraded brakes in the S4, *Stoptechs* (which are amazing and a much better, more cost effective solution rather than brembo's)
Even with the upgraded brakes on the S4, there is no comparison. Pcar can go deeper than any car I've ever driven. I just can't wait until I'm comfortable enough with the car to really brake at 10/10's and do some sweet trailbraking.
There was no fade, there was no warping, I didn't even make the pads sweat. I was braking later than I ever had before and there was just so much more I could have done with those brakes.
Verdict: Pcar.. Stay on the gas longer, Brake deeper.. Faster lap times..

Driving Experience: Every time I get into my 2S I remind myself just how lucky I am. Yes there are some cars that are faster or handle better but they still take a back seat to this fantastic car. I don't think I could ever see myself not owning a 911 in the future.
The 2S is not my everyday car though, nor do I think I would ever want to drive it everyday. It's great for the weekends, going to the track,
and just looking at. It's not terribly comfortable, nor practical for my 5 mile commute to and from work. I am also always hauling a ton of gear, dogs, etc.
These cars are really great and I just wish I didn't live in a state where all the roads are flat, long and boring. Guess I should count my blessings that we can track all year roung though

Thanks for reading.. Just my .02
B-Line
Old 01-31-2002, 05:35 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

B-line,

Thank you for the contribution. Interesting review.

Sounds like you are really bias..... (nothing wrong about that)

<a href="http://p-car.com/reviews/993vsaudis4/" target="_blank">993C2S VS Audi S4</a>
Old 01-31-2002, 06:09 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Bias towards the 911, absouletely...

As much as I loved the S4 as an everyday car, I am a thousand times happier with my C2S.
There are definately some areas where the S4 did beat the Pcar but overall it is no contest.
It's not even apples to apples.
It's a fast sedan vs. a true sports car.
The Pcar is everything I dreamed it would be and more. So I can't beat everyone off the line
but you won't see me spending time at the christmas tree waiting for the green light to drop. I am a road course/track junkie. I can't think of any other car I would rather have right now (except for maybe the GT2 or another 911.)
I love the skill and precision it takes to drive a 911 well. It really is a drivers car..

B-Line
Old 01-31-2002, 06:45 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Sorry Silver Bullet,
You know with my big mouth I have to answer that one.

And, I am going to stick by my original statement.
a)If I had a Pcar, I would not sell it right now because of market value. But if you are selling it, recognize that your not going to get the premium the car might be worth in a solid market.

b)I think the car is worth much more than what I paid for it. But, Like the double edged sword we spoke about, my Audi was worth much more than what I got for it
especially with the 4 grand in mods I left in the car

Hence, Hergo, Therefore,
it's a buyers market
and Silver..trust me when I tell you, you don't want to know what I wound up paying for my Pcar

No flames...Just elaborating
Old 01-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Thanx for the kind words Rob.

You have an awesome collection of toy there. Congrats on your purchase of the Maranello
Old 01-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, Robin, since Suwipin beat me to the 993TT vs. E46 M3 story, I thought I'd compare do 993TT vs. Ducati 900 Supersport!

Acceleration: Pretty similar, and both are more forgiving if you've been granted a rolling start. It's harder to bring the front wheels off the ground on the 993TT, though.

Handling: I imagine it would be harder to touch the ground with my knee in a corner with the 993TT, but unfortunately, I can't manage this on the Duc either.

Interior: It's more difficult to regulate the temperature and cabin humidity on the Duc, but otherwise, there's a similar amount of carbon fiber to be seen. Passenger capcity is identical, for all practical purposes.

Styling: Both have a nice front-to-back hourglass figure.

Brakes: Both outfitted with very competent Brembo brakes, though it's easier to bleed the ones on the Duc. Also, I feel more likely to go through the windshield of the Duc on hard braking than the 993TT. Also, the 993TT fuel tank doesn't hurt me in my baby factory during hard braking maneuvers.

Driving Experience: I'd have to pick the 993TT, because it's never resulted in shoulder separation and meat missing from my elbow.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:31 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>

Acceleration: Pretty similar, and both are more forgiving if you've been granted a rolling start. It's harder to bring the front wheels off the ground on the 993TT, though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the Duc has the 993 beat hands down, as well as probably any normal production car. I hit 80 on your bike in a heartbeat and I wasn't really trying. With the way the weather was this week we should have done a little side by side comparo. I get to ride the Duc first though
Greg
Old 01-31-2002, 10:51 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

[quote]OK, Robin, since Suwipin beat me to the 993TT vs. E46 M3 story, ...<hr></blockquote>

Hi Anir,

I do not own a 993TT, I wish I do but mine is a 993 C4S and not a TT

Hopefully one day I can afford to own a 993TT though.

[quote]Driving Experience: I'd have to pick the 993TT, because it's never resulted in shoulder separation and meat missing from my elbow.<hr></blockquote>

That's a good one
Old 02-01-2002, 01:30 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
Robin,

What an awesome thread you have started! Everybody, keep those reviews coming.

B-Line, nice review on the S4. I have a modded S4 (chip, Borla exhaust, turbo bypass valves, MTM suspension)as my daily driver, and it never ceases to amaze me as a thoroughly competent "poor man's M5". You're right about the acceleration - absolutely magnificent. Unfortunately, it will always be somewhat ugly with too much body roll, but I don't think I'll ever tire of driving it.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Anir,

Thank you for your review on the 4 wheel vs the 2 wheel.

<a href="http://p-car.com/reviews/993ttvsducati/" target="_blank"> 993TT VS Ducati </a>

Quick Reply: Seeking 993 vs reviews