993 Forum 1995-1998

Road rash and now this ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:17 AM
PWC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Road rash and now this ...

These cars are beautiful. Yet, this afternoon I parked in my "village" leaving my beloved p-car to get a haircut. When I came back some bastard had backed into the front of my car and driven away. Fortunately, the damage was limited to $650. That's $650 I did not find on the street. This leads me to wonder: what would you do to a person such as this if you got the chance?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:24 AM
PWC
Instructor

By the way - Gert - FPB just ordered!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Well, I'd hope that a friend was watching the car and then go after the driver's insurance company. Wait, that's exactly what happened about two weeks ago. I doubt if I'd be as lucky again.

How about front and rear video cameras with a time-elapsed mode to save on tape/hard drive space?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:38 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That s*cks...maybe time for a TT front bumper upgrade?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:41 AM
PWC
Instructor

David in LA

tell me more
Old 04-18-2003, 01:46 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David is referring to:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008662" target="_blank">Pictures of turbo nose on my C4 </a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008087#000000" target="_blank">Euro tt nose - turbo S ducts w/fogs - clear turns </a>

search the archives for more ...
Old 04-18-2003, 05:20 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few weeks ago, I was sweeping up out back of where I work (OK, it's unusual, but it won't make the news!). An old lady (who is a customer of mine) was driving past. She kept her eyes fixed on me and... SMASH! - she took the mirror off a parked car.

She pulled over and was a bit shaken up. I went over to check she was OK. She looked at her car (no damage - of course!). First she made out it was MY fault (!) - 'What on earth are you doing?', she asked! Then she made to leave. I told her that she had smashed the mirror of the other car. She then said (equally predictably), 'It must have been like that already.'

I told her I saw the damage happen and that it might be a good idea to leave her details on a note under the other car's wiper, with a quick apology. I went and got some paper and a pen for her!

Since that day, she looks at me with complete disdain - 'That mirror cost me £200!', she told me sometime later - again like it was my fault!

There is nothing you can do with these people - they live in another world, where it's always someone else's fault.

Seems that the type of person who is careless enough to drive into your car will automatically also be the type who will then consider themselves to be the injured party.

I once had an employee like that, too. (Sorry - I know I'm rambling) - pretty well did as she liked and would always find someone else to blame - like her own behaivour was always entirely justified because of what someone else said or did. Even if you could prove the other person had done nothing to deserve it, this employee would still feel entirely justified because she THOUGHT they had - like that is enough! 'It doesn't matter if I was wrong - I THOUGHT I was right, so tough!'

Sorry - This thread must have touched a raw nerve!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by John Boggiano:
<strong>
***snip***

There is nothing you can do with these people - they live in another world, where it's always someone else's fault.

Seems that the type of person who is careless enough to drive into your car will automatically also be the type who will then consider themselves to be the injured party.

***snip***
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Boy, is this ever true. Like the person that rear ends you at a stoplight when the light turns green, but you're still waiting for the car in front of you to move. After pulling to the side of the road, they blame it on you, asking (in a condescending manner): "why didn't you move?" Or something to that effect.

These people are either extremely dim, completely insecure (can't admit to a mistake), or both.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:57 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's a funny one:

My wife was the second car stopped at a light in a train of cars. All of a sudden the car behind her, which had already stopped, slammed into her because he had been hit by the car behind him. The woman driving the car that caused the accident tried to blame it on my wife because she was stopped.

My wife being one not to take that, kinda laughed at her in amazement and pointed out that both the light was red and there was a stopped car in front of her. It still blows me away!

Well the culprit of the accident couldn't even take the time to apologize or go to the police station to write up the report with the other two drivers.

Well, when I called her insurance agent, he tried to say the guy in the middle first hit my wife and then the lady in the back hit him so they wouldn't pay for my wife's repairs, but the middle guys company should pay. But, they made the mistake to assume I didn't have all the facts - both the lady and the man had the same insurance company! I told the agent I didn't care who was at fault because they were both covered by your company and I told him to figure it out and handle it.

A week later my wife's car was fixed at a dealer recommended shop of my choosing.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm with John on this one. It really Pi$$e$$ me off when people make a mistake and aren't strong enought to admit it, apologize, and fix it. We are all only human where accidents and mistakes happen and it isn't everyone elses fault it is our own.

PWC - good luck getting it fixed!

Skip
Old 04-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Richard C4S
Instructor

What did Mark Twain say? If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
I took an opportunity just like this last year to upgrade to the euro TT front bumper with airducts courtesy of Gert.
Short term hassle, long term enjoyment.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
I was rear ended very hard on the freeway about 10 years ago. Traffic came to an abrupt halt and I got stopped in time but the lady behind me wasn't so fortunate. BLAAMMMOOO! Luckily I was in my truck and not the SC I had at the time. Bent my frame and shoved the bed into the cab.

Anyhow, we got to the side of the freeway, called the police, spoke with this lady asking if she is ok etc. Keep in mind, coolant all over the place from her car. Police show up and I proceed to explain what happened. Suddenly this lady (she couldn't speak very good english) says "I no hit him" "its his falt, he hit me". I got angry and the police said to wait over there and they will get my story in a second. A few minutes later the police comes over laughing and 'had' to ask if I saw her hit me, to make it 'official'.

How ignorant are people anyhow?

Quick Reply: Road rash and now this ...