Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver hood crest question & does it look ok to keep the gold crest wheel centers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Silver hood crest question & does it look ok to keep the gold crest wheel centers?

Yes - I did a search and found the appropriate threads on this subject BUT,

Q #1 - I have the stock gold colored hood crest, but I like the idea of getting a silver hood crest for my silver car to spiff it up a bit. Would it look kind of lame to keep the old faded gold crest wheel centers if I have a new silver crest on the hood? Is it like wearing a black belt with light tan shoes? The reason I ask is that it's too expensive for me right now to trade up to the silver crests on the wheels TOO.

Q #2 - It seems like there is more than one silver wheel crest out there to choose from. Have any of you bought this one from Suncoast which seems to have green and brown in it as well:

"Replace your old or damaged emblem, and upgrade to a new Gold or Silver Crest. Each comes with the emblem seal and tapping nuts. This will fit most all Porsches (excluding the 356 and Carrera GT). "
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=POTE993EX
Code: crestemblem
Price: $64.98
Weight: 2.00 pounds

or this one from the Rennlist site:
https://rennlist.com/direct/

Which is on a Guards Red 993 and doesn't look near as good as the Suncoast one to my eye. $68.00 though Pelican Parts sells it for $82.00

The one on the Suncoast website says the weight is 2 lbs! How could that be? It seems like it wouldn't weigh much at all. Is this crest from Suncoast the part that goes on the hood? I just can't see how it could weigh anywhere close to that much...

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 02:31 AM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

I want to do the same but I DO think that a silver hood crest with the gold center caps is inappropriate. I will be selling/trading/replacing my painted center caps for the original black/silver plastic caps then adding the hood crest. I'll likely buy mine from Suncoast. As far a it weighing 2 lbs, maybe that's their excuse to charge $8.95 for shipping because they are definitely no more than 5 or 6 ozs.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the question?

NO.

got it?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:56 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all silver or no go....... email... john d. fer some of them silver 'caps'... btw.. i picked up a silver one 'here' & the quality i have heard is much nicer than the 'aj-usa' & 'pellican' versions...
just fyi...

Last edited by 24FPS; 09-27-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your replies. So, the consensus so far is to go for all silver (crests and wheel caps) rather than to cheap out and keep my faded gold wheel crest

caps on the car with the new silver hood crest.

Here are the wheel caps on the Rennlist site:

Also, on the Rennlist.com site it asks this question:
"Available in the following combinations:
Silver Crest on Black, Polished, Chrome or Silver Hub"
Would you recommend silver over ... what ??? for a Polar Silver C4S?
It's adding up now: $68 for the hood crest, $250 for the wheel caps = $318 + shipping. Hmmmm - is it worth it...

AND there's always these too!

Polished Alloy Lug Nuts. A complete set of 20 highly polished lug nuts which will complement any chrome or alloy wheel set. Why have black lug nuts on silver wheels when you can install these - and get that "finished" look. (Picture at right shown with a 19mm "Soft Socket", available separately).
Rennlist Member Price - complete set of 20 lug Nuts - $75
Rennlist Member Price - Soft Socket - $22

Would most of you get these allow lug nuts too??? This make it $415 for the total "silver appearance mod". Heck, for another $100 I could get the 3 spoke steering wheel instead

Lastly, did you notice that the crest from Suncoast has the painted blue and brown colors by the "black jumping deer (?)". What do you think about THAT crest? I want to do this right!

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 11:28 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts

Steve......."the black jumping deer"???? No offense bro, but that's just too funny for a sunday morning! That's actually a Prancing Horse from Stuttgart. Stuttgart meaning "Stud Garden". Champion horses were raised in the area around Stuttgart. (maybe you knew that, and were just giving us a laugh)
I don't know where the Blue and Brown came from in Suncoast's crest. The original crests were Gold, Red and Black, the German national colors. Although very early 356 crests had a orange color instead of red.
Ralph Boothe is the supplier for most all the retailers out there, so I'm not sure why there would be a difference in quality between AJ & Pelican & John D. etc.

Robert
Old 09-26-2004, 12:44 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have some input regarding the silver crest, i love the silver crest on my black 993, wouldnt have it anyother way. that w/clear markers really dress up the front of these cars, it gives a uniform but contrasted look.
but i put one on a silver car and was not that impressed.
(well at least not as good as on the black car). if you do decide to go w/silver the best thing to do w/the wheels is to get the C4S caps for them(or what the car is). you can have a graphics person cut red 4's and black S's and detail the cap that way, realy looks good no matter what crest you have on the hood
Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Default photo silver badge on black

nt
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Robert for the info on the "Prancing Horse". Didn't mean to give you a morning jolly at my expense, but I never looked hard at or thought about that crest before just recently and I didn't know what it was. I appreciate the explanation even if I did make myself look embarrassingly ignorant in the process

And to Dr Kenneth Garchow: So, the silver crest doesn't look as good on a silver 993? That's good news for me, I guess. Knowing that, you just saved me a bundle of money if I decide not to go this route! Guess I could use it towards that 3 spoke steering wheel after all!

So, I'm stuck with a car with faded wheel crests on the wheels. The hood crest is in perfect shape. Maybe I'll switch to that simple C4S wheel crest in good time.

Steve

(Wish I head read this before I posted my first post! DUH

THE CREST: In 1951 Porsche was finalizing plans for its move from the war time sanctuary of Gmund back to Stuttgart. Importers and agents selling his product made it clear that customers wanted some sort of trademark or badge to identify their vehicles, which till then, only carried the word "Porsche" on the body work. In 1952, Professor Porsche had devised the basic design of the crest. Folklore has it that he sketched it on a serviette during a luncheon. Whether true or not, it was Messrs. Lepper and Riemspiess of the publicity and design studios who carefully finalized the design.

There are three components: the family name, of course, is positioned at the top, while the other two components reflect Porsche’s gratitude for the rebirth of the company in the Stuttgart area. The red and black bars with the antlers are from the coat of arms of the State of Wurttemberg, and the horse is from the coat of arms of Stuttgart, capital of Wurttemberg. The origins of Stuttgart developed from the royal patronage given in historical times to the area. A fine horse stud developed here. So (Stud Garden) Stutt Garten and Stuttgart.

The crest first appeared on a Porsche in 1953, but was limited to the interior of the car – the horn button. It was not till 1957 that the crest joined the work Porsche on the front bonnet of a 356 Coupe.

THE COLOR: Maroon or claret has appeared on the driver’s hand-books, service manuals and official letterheads since 1951. The choice of color was due to necessity rather than any romantic design consideration. After the second World War, colored inks were in very short supply and colored papers were only just being reintroduced. It was in this environment that the first handbooks were produced. To maintain an attractive design within the shortages of the period, black ink and colored stock was chosen. The small printer Glauner happened to have some colored paper – maroon. It was a case of no alternatives. No one could imagine the precedent that this would set. Today, all official stationery, driver’s wallets and even the exterior color schemes of the new factory building in Stuttgart utilize bold stripes of these colors.

THE SCRIPT: The Porsche script has undergone a number of evolutionary phases since it appeared on Porsche No. 1 at Gmund in June 1948.

From the outset, the square shape of the letters was apparent. Initially, letters were placed individually in a curved pattern o the front of the cars. In 1950, a horizontal underlining bar joined all the letters into a single unit. In 1952, the letters became more squat (extended). This design remained unchanged for the remaining life of the 356 series. In 1963-64, the 911 came on the scene. The word Porsche reverted to a series of individual letters of a thinner and more open shape. In 1974, the metal letters were no longer used. Instead they were depicted on the reflective panel separating the tail lights of the 911. To end, I quote Tony Lapine, head of styling studio: "More than any emblem or logo, Professor Porsche himself represents the bond between tradition and progressive technology that makes Porsche such a unique company.")
Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Yeah, 86 the crests, Steve. Go for the three spoke wheel.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I figured you'd say that, Mark.

So now I guess it's this:

vs this:

I'm leaning towards the 996 OEM 3 spoke wheel with the leather airbag as previously discussed on an earlier thread I started.

Back to square one! It's all good, really.

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Now, you're talkin'! See, if you changed to silver crests on the wheels and hood, you'd have to change the crest on the steering wheel, too.

That wheel is hot.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Mark: Which wheel is hot? The 996 wheel or the AJ USA one?
Oh yeah - I feel a new steering wheel coming down the pike for Hanukkah!

By the way, are we ready for the next Rennlist - Washington/Baltimore "Meet and Drive" to be organized for this fall?! Who's "in charge"?

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Sorry, I was so blinded by the beauty of the first, 996 wheel that I promptly ignored the AJ one.

Well, we need to get one of the other local Rennlisters to pick up the torch here. Come on, who's game to put on a meet-and-drive?!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:36 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

steve
i will get you a better photo than this one of the turbo wheels w/the C4S caps detailed (using decals on the letters and number)and the lips polished. that is a great look on a silver car. other wise they can look washed out especialy if the crests are faded

Quick Reply: Silver hood crest question & does it look ok to keep the gold crest wheel centers?