HID install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 06:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HID install problem

Grrr ... halfway through installing a Catz HID kit ... got the driver's side installed, no problem, works fine. Working on the passenger side, and finding that the Catz bulb is a little too fat to pass through the slot in the headlight assembly. It's almost clearing, but not quite; the HID bulb is a cylinder, the original is flatter. Anyone face this problem and know a workaround? I'm not going to force it. The driver's side bulb went in, it was tight, but it fit.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-25-2004, 06:55 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vic - sent you a PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:19 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Dan, that's exactly what I did, grind off a little metal and now the bulb slides in cleanly.

The install guide I followed recommended putting the igniters inside the fenders, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I see you've installed yours inside the light assembly itself. Did you follow a guide to the install? I know Mike wrote one, but the server it's on is over its bandwidth limit right now an "unavailable until next month."

It would seem that the only wire you need exiting the headlight at that point would be the ground wire and the connectors to the ballast, unless you are grounding to a point inside the light itself. I was planning on grounding to the ground terminals right by the grommet where it makes sense to have the ballast cables exiting.

I had the driver's side up and running with the igniter in the bucket, but since I had the problem with the passenger bulb, it's getting dark and I have a date tonight, I pulled everything out and went back to the factory bulbs for the evening. Will try again tomorrow, so any tips appreciated.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-25-2004, 08:50 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Vic
There are NO wires exiting the headlamp. All connections are made via the factory slide in connector, just like oem. More info, pics & links in a PM.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:15 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan,

Would you kindly send me the same pictures and links?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:59 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah... please.. me too? i need to do this upgrade.

or maybe post?

cheers&thx.

Last edited by 24FPS; 09-27-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 AM
trunglemill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to be rude can yousend this info to me as well.
How much is the kit and where can I buy it from I am based in the UK

Many thanks

Colin
Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 AM
trunglemill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID

Don't mean to be rude can you send this info to me as well.
How much is the kit and where can I buy it from I am based in the UK

Many thanks

Colin
Old 09-27-2004, 10:04 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I Installed the ignighters in the front fenders, wrapped with some duct tape and some plumbing foam tape and haven't had any issues in the 2 years they have been installed. This does include tracking the car and driving all year round. I did make sure to zip tie them to something on the passenger side, but can't remember what I did on the driver's side.

Mark in Baltimore has them installed the same way and I don't believe he has any issues either.

Doing the factory look install is great, but does take a bunch more time and takes modifying the wiring.

Good luck,

-Skip
Old 09-27-2004, 10:33 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got them in yesterday ... it really is an easy process. I didn't do the complete "all factory" wiring job, because the instructions were truncated in Google's cache and the website that they're stored on is over its bandwidth allocation for the month. But I did install the igniters inside the "hatch" for the headlights (plenty of room) and just ran the cables through the fender into the trunk to the ballasts.

The lights really make a difference. Now the sidemarker lights and foglights look positively yellow in comparison ... time for an upgrade there?

And, as always, thanks to Dan in St. Louis for his advice getting the bulb to fit.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-27-2004, 01:47 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey vic i believe coleman did a post re: real-white bulb replacements a while back... for the turn signals.... just f.y.i.. we're legal w/ white ones here in cali. dunno' re: boston.

cheers. a cyber 'sam' to you:
Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I've been busy w/my real life. These links to past threads may be helpful for those installing an aftermarket HID kit that uses a separate igniter & ballast (e.g., Catz) which allows a very clean oem like installation w/the igniter in the headlight case, no wires exiting the headlight & a fully functional slide in connection. In the pics below you can see that I used bullet & spade connectors to allow me to easily revert to H-1 halogens in minutes w/o worry about crossed wires. BTW, as seen in the 1st pic (the blurry one from my old digital camera) I unclipped the white slide connector to facilitate wiring. It's really a very simple installation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/13165-hid-oem-style-install-liteswap-kit.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/13288-hid-factory-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/16601-yet-another-hid-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/112777-litronic-install-question-can-you-mount.html

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin,

You can get an HID kit for your 993 from Autofarm at Bicester - I had them fit it as well but then I'm lazy.

PJC

Quick Reply: HID install problem