Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Starting issue when engine is warm...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue when engine is warm...

An archive search hasn't yielded any results, but I hope someone can shed light on my issue...

Every so often (about 1 in 20 starts) my engine won't turn over...I get full power from the battery (a newer optima red top) she just won't crank. Furthermore, the problem is limited to starts when the engine has been running for a while and is at operating temperature. A perfect example would be trying to start the car after a quick errand.

When it doesn't start, I have to pull out the key, wait about 15 seconds, and try again. It will always start up, but has to really crank the second time around. The engine subsequently runs rough for a few seconds...

The car always starts like a champ when the engine is cold.

Is it possibly an alternator/starter issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

check the DME relay and replace it with the updated one.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:48 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info...I did put in the updated DME relay months ago, and the wiring harness was replaced on the car....

Kim: thanks for that thread, I will look into it. My starting problem is limited to warm starts, but you never know!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:40 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may be the infamous 'immobilizer' gremlin.... let us not forget 'miraculix'.

...do a search. i'd put my $$$$$ on it... that that's your prob. esp.if after waiting, it then starts right up.

bol w/ a fix!

cheers.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

24FPS - I'm not so sure it's the immobilizer (at least I pray to god it isn't)...I haven't had any stalling issues, and the car will always start right up first thing in the morning. Plus, the "problem" is intermittant at best. I just want to be ahead of the curve...

Otherwise, the car has been very reliable...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:31 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Jason,

Are you saying that the starter will not ENGAGE the "one in twenty" times? And always when the engine is hot?

If yes, then the problem is almost certainly an intermittent 'open' circuit in the commutator for the armature in the starter. The "one in twenty" is when the starter brushes land on this open commutator bar when hot (open) and when you turn the key - nothing.

The fifteen seconds and key in and out I can't quite figure and as far as running rough after start, could that be because of the previous cranking, no start and excessive fuel?

Sounds like you need a rebuilt starter motor. Replace the armature part for sure if you DIY.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Starting issue when engine is warm...