Canadians who have purschased 993 in US - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadians who have purschased 993 in US - Questions

Hi Everyone;

I'm new to this forum as I have been a 944 owner up until recently. I am now actively beginning to look for a nice 993 after a deal fell through locally (very disappointing as it was a perfect car for me...).

I would like some information/advice from fellow Canadian list members that may have purchased a car in the US and brought it back to Canada.

1. Was it a difficult process to do?
2. How did you have the car checked out before you actually went to see it?
3. Was the border crossing difficult (paperwork, shipped it or drove it back?)
4. Any tips or advice for someone like me that may end up buying south of the border?

Many thanks for any tips/advice you are willing to share (regardless if you are Canadian or not).

Cheers;
Eric
Ottawa, Canada
PCA Rennsport Region
Old 09-10-2004, 02:13 PM
aubrey993
Advanced

Hi Eric. I brought my '97 C2 Cab (29,000 miles) in from California earlier this year. The process is actually quite detailed but not all that difficult. I would be happy to review the whole process to you, but would be very detailed to post here. There is an excellent article written up several months ago in our local PCA chapter newsletter (Wild Rose Region). I can send you a copy.

In answer to your specific questions:
1) see above.
2) I made arrangements to have the PPI done at the dealer in Fresno, CA (Later, I was very unhappy with the dealer PPI, as I had some additional work performed locally, that the PPI missed)
3) Not too difficult, but much work involved prior to arrival at the border. I flew down to pick the car up then had a great drive up. You must have all the proper paperwork faxed or couriered to the specific US Customs crossing you choose, at least 72 hours prior to arrival.
4) Lots of advise, but it's worth the effort if you find the right car. Remember that you will need to pay 6.1% duty on German built cars (unless its older than 20 years, I think), 7% GST, and a RIV fee of about $200. All based upon the US$ purchase price. You must pay in cash, credit card at the border, at time of entry.

There is more work involved once the car arrives in Canada, regarding getting it finalized for registration in Canada. I'm not sure if the Ontario registration is different from Alberta, but the gov't just wants their fees.

I love my (new to me) 993. It was better than any car I could find locally. Hope you find the right car too. Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer944
Racer

Hi Aubrey993;

Thanks very much for the info. If you can send it, I would love to get a copy of that article you mentioned. Can you fax it? If so my fax number is (613) 724-3474.

I intend to fly down and drive back whatever I buy so the paperwork/border crossing tip is a good one. I didn't realize there was an advance notice needed.

I guess the big thing is going to be figuring out what condition the car is in (and how reputable the seller is) before I get too far, as I will likely have to pay for the car in full before I actually see it (to get paperwork to border ahead of time). This probably precludes private sales (too risky perhaps).

Thkas for the info... and the search begins...

Cheers;
Eric
Old 09-10-2004, 07:48 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned my 993 Targa in California prior to importing it into Calgary. It looks like you'll get the details you require from Aubrey993, so I'll only add the following:

- Definitely drive it up. It'll be a great experience. I wish I had driven mine up, but I couldn't because of my move. Now I'm embroiled in a lawsuit with the shipper because of the $5000 undercarriage damage that they did. What a complete NIGHTMARE.

- Once you find a car, post a note here (in rennlist) and someone may be able to go down a do a quick check for you.

- You'll have to get daytime driving lights installed. I highly recommend having your local Porsche dealership do this and NOT Canadian Tire. They'll charge a fair bit, but they'll do it properly... then take the car to Canadian Tire to have them sign off on the lights, child seat tether (you'll just need it in the car, not actually have to get it attached.) And they'll also verify that you have km/h on the odometer.

A search in the archives will find posts on importing cars into Canada, plus I recommend checking out riv.ca for import details.

Good luck!

PS
You didn't hear it from me, but you may want to explore your options as to getting a bill of sale that has a lower sale amount then you paid for the car... or get an appraisal that states a lower amount. You're going to pay 6% duty on the car and then 7% on top of that.. plus you may pay PST, I'm not sure as Alberta doesn't have a sales tax. It adds up fast....
Old 09-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Racer944
Racer

Mr Canuck;

Thanks for adding in some details for me... I forgot about the DRL issue, but I suspect that I could probable add those onto the car myself. I definitely would not allow Canadian Tire to do ANY sort of work on any Porsche that I own (particularily electrical)!

I hear you about the taxes and duty situation. In the end I have to factor in about 21% extra in fees. The market for 993's up here however seems to be pretty slim, and the ones that i do see, seem to be priced way higher than what I consider to be fair market value. Even with the extra fees, its still likely going to be cheaper for me to buy in the US, and the selection appears better. I guess in the end I will buy the right car wherever it is...

Its not fun being on a budget however... especially when the 993 is at the upper end of the budget! ;-)

Now just gotta get my pristine 944 sold off...

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-27-2004, 01:08 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Racer 944

I dont know if you have already found your Porsche, if not and if you want some help get in touch with me and I will give all the info that you will need .
Even the source for Porsches and good contacts in the US .
Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:21 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a 98 C2S in Connecticutt in August. The process is somewhat detailed but, in retrospect, fairly easy. Go to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website www.riv.ca and they have pretty much all of the info regarding the import process. You also need to find out the process for Ontario, as it is likely different than other provinces, i.e. each province has its own bureaucracy! If you want, PM me and I can tell you more.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 PM
djames
Instructor

Racer944,
Lot's of useful info can be found under the Canada Regions section of the forums. In November I purchased a 97 C2 in Florida and am patiently waiting for delivery to the border. The toughest part for me has been the wait.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:09 PM
PWC
Instructor

Check out this site first - www.theurbangarage.com.

Quick Reply: Canadians who have purschased 993 in US - Questions