993 Forum 1995-1998

Audi S4 vs. 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 09:21 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I had an S4 on order a little over a year ago and was going to turn it into a combo street/track car. Then I came across a really nice C4S, cancelled the S4 order, bought the Porsche and have absolutely no regrets. The S4 is a very nice car, but at 3700+ lbs, even with substantial mods, I don't believe it would hang with my p-car on the track.

Doug

D & M Racing
Old 11-16-2001, 09:29 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Rob W.:
<STRONG>My biggest regret with the Audi is that I'll probably have to get something bigger in the near future as my little girls grow. Maybe I can snow my wife into believing that an E55 is MB's entry level economy sedan! Regards to all.</STRONG>
Forget the E55, look into the new S6 Avant. I have driven the E55 and found it to be extremely boring. Call me for details.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:43 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I've got a '95 993 and a '98.5 30V A4 Avant. I drove a friend of mine's significantly modified S4. It might have been quicker than the 993, but it sure didn't feel it. Nice car, but all the joyful driving sensations you get thru the steering and butt in the 993 were all gone.

Just interested in 1/4 mile drags? Stick with the S4.

Want greater driving enjoyment? Get the C4S. Far as I'm concerned, 993 is more reliable than the A4 (have 60K on 993 and 47K on A4; am worried about timing belt change at about 60K on A4).
Old 11-17-2001, 08:24 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

A stage 2 S4 (I have one) will run 4.9 to 5.1 sec. to 60mph and quarter mile times in the 13.9 to 14.2 range if you trust several timeslip postings at Audiworld. Most of the mags tested the varioramed 993's (I have a C2S) at 4.7 and 13.7 or thereabouts when they came out. Bottom line, these cars are very close on any given day.

The Audi has gobs more torque and it's available at lower rpms than the Porsche, and it's really a big, heavy car, so the impression one gets is that it is much faster, but I don't think it is.

Now, as for tracking these cars, the Porsche should absolutely destroy the Audi with equal drivers, period, not to mention that everyone I talk to says their S4's eat brake rotors. The S4 is a very endearing car though, very suave and well turned, and in combination with it's delicate but forceful drivetrain, it's kind of a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde thing that's lots of fun.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:54 PM
B-Line home
Racer

WOW, Thanks for all the responses. I'd like to address some of them though.
I am not trying to start a flame and I do agree that the p-car is a better vehicle and I do look forward to purchasing one.
But to address some of the posts.
Audi brakes do suck, I agree. That's why I have stoptech big brakes and pagid orange pads. (I also have RAM AIR INDUCTION for brakes.) In terms of the shifter, it's soft, that's why I have a short shifter in.
Suspension, on a S4, now that's a waste of money, I have track wheels and Kuomo victor racers heat cycle and shaved for the track. I have no siginificant body roll or push when I have a track setup on, the car is now very even. In terms of other mods I have 320 hp (supposedely) from a chip, exhaust, K&N. A full set of samco hoses, forge Bypass valves. The S4 is a great great car, and I do read the Audi world web site. (I am S4bi4 on audiworld.)
I have warped more stock rotors than I can count but that's why I have upgraded brakes.
So, despite the fact that the S4 has some reliability issues (TBB etc.) Mine has been upgraded to near perfection.
When I test drove the 993 C4S the first thing I noticed was how dull second gear is. Towards the top of the gear it starts to pick up a little but I was waiting on power.
Even in my S4, I never wait for power, It's always there even though it's turbo.
I was not pushed into my seat in second either. First was good though.
I am not a quarter mile guy, I am a road course junky. I have driven seven tracks and have lots of seat time. I am working for my scca regional license now.
My point being, The C4S is amazing and better. But don't think for a minute that a properly modded S4 can't hold it's own, on the track or otherwise.)
Did I mention that I track often with Porsche Bmw Owners Club Florida.
So yes, I do agree Porsche is a better car, I am not saying the S4 is better or I wouldn't be looking to upgrade.
What I am saying is, don't underestimate
the abilities of the S4....
Old 11-19-2001, 09:32 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by RS3.8:
<STRONG>I agree with DcLee, I (briefly) had an Audi RS4(Euro 380 BHP model), which although fast in a straight line did not have any feeling to its steering, brakes and shift etc to compare with any later 911.Great car for long distance touring but not for track work or plain excitement.I drive the RS(993)just for the sake of it but never the RS4...just my opinion though! </STRONG>

Did you encounter any bendy wheels ??

I nearly bought an RS4 before the C2.
From what I've read on the rs4.org board looks like I made the right decision.

Cheers,
John.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:15 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I almost forgot something.. long after my Porsche is securely parked in it's garage for the long winter here in the northeast, I am out having an absolute blast throwing the S4 around in the most inclement weather you can imagine. Most Audi folks have an extra set of wheels and some of the new high performance snow tires (I use Dunlop Winter Sport M2's).

The Quattro AWD system is absolutely amazing in the snow. The fact that it can keep up with a Porsche AND go in the snow is it's biggest attribute. I apologize to any of you that have C4's and 4S's and winter your cars, but I can't imagine the Porsches would plow thru what the Audi can.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:55 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

My Audi driving experience stems from owning the awesome but modest powered 1984 Ur-quattro and lately testing a TT coupe quattro. For me there is a big difference in "perceived" performance at lower speeds and lower revs of these 2 Audi's compared to the 993.

The quattro's turbocharged engine delivers very punchy torque at around 3000 and a bit revs, and the TT even earlier (there's a hump on the torque curve). This is especially true when the turbo is spooled up well before you shift into gear. The result is a sensation of tremendous "urge" or should I say it "feels fast" (to me at least). This Turbo "kick" is very addictive and I think I do recognise some of this in the posts above.

By comparison the normally aspirated 993 develops it's (higher) torque more smoothly, rising steadily with revs. And even if you go as fast or faster, the sensation is very different; Smooth & controlled. I've noticed also that I don't go into the revs for high torque and power in my everyday commute. With the quattro I would get this familiar "pressed in the seat" feel at 3k in second gear, many times .

That the pedal travel to full throttle on my quattro was less than half of that in the 993 just adds to the different feel. The quattro would unleash it's power and torque at the slightest touch of the pedal. All the above IMHO of course.

And for B-line: About that dull second gear. In the archives you can find a few threads on different gearings used in the 993. I think over in the US 993's have longer gearing.
So you could upgrade your C4S like you did the S4: fit the euro gears if you want original, or go RS spec or even custom. Add an RS lightweight flywheel & clutch while you're at it. That should transform the feel of the car. I'm sure there are a few Rennlisters out there that can tell you all about how to select gear ratios and suspension etc. for those epic track days. Just my 0.02$

Enjoy!

Nol
Old 11-19-2001, 02:08 PM
RS3.8
Intermediate

In reply to John W,no bendy wheels,I only had the car for two months and realised it was not for me(Looked good though in black!!)
Old 11-19-2001, 04:16 PM
nostatic
Instructor

I've driven a few 993's as well as a few S4's. A friend has a chipped S4 w/Stoptech brakes and a bit stiffer springs (he also has a WRX wagon and '99 M3...rought life). A stock S4 is fun and fast, but every 993 I've driven felt quicker. The chipped S4 on the other had...that thing was a fickin' rocket ship. I've never driven a 993 (I've only driven stock NA cars mind you) that had as much pickup at speed. You step on it, and you are pinned. Now cornering was another story (I thought his WRX was much better in the twisties), but I can totally understand how someone coming from a modded S4 could feel that a 993 was a bit tardy in a straight line.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:47 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT:
<STRONG>On the AWD issue, there is no problem tracking the C4 - it is not a tossable as the 2WD versions...</STRONG>
I disagree. It's just as tossable, but more catchable.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:20 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess my issue is really that I find it too catchable. You are right, set up right, it is tossable. Set up as yours is, it tosses itself.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:32 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S4's usually look great at DE events because their weakness compared to 911's is in braking and cornering. Most DE's won't let you pass under braking, and usually not in cornering either if you're dicing. So the S4 looks like a hero as it honks down the straights, the only place you're generally allowed to pass. I'd bet if you could compare flat-out lap times with a C4 it wouldn't look so good.

Understeer may be more "comfortable" but it's not fast.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:39 AM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Hey Viken, funny you should mention that the E55 is boring. I kept a 500E for about 8 months and it was indeed boring. Very fast but the car just didn't seem to need me. Incidently, the old 500E/E500 rides much better than the E55's do.

K
Old 12-02-2001, 01:11 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts
I bit late chiming in here, but want to share my views on Audi's in general.

First of all, they are amazing cars, and more importantly, Audi drivers are overall pretty cool people. At the track, Audi's always do very well and the drivers are controlled and cool. I've seen stock A4 1.8's as well as S4 wagons definitely holding their own! Very impressive, if you ask me. I treat an Audi on the track with respect and the S4's with track tires, modified suspensions, etc.. are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Funny that I never see Mercedes at tracks. Surely those snazzy CLK's, SLK's, etc. could handle some aggressive driving. Is it more the drivers buying these cars (ie cruising to malls, etc..) vs. the car being able to handle it? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 vs. 993 C4S