Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Front brake piston seals - available individually?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 03:41 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Front brake piston seals - available individually?

Was at the new BeaveRun track Saturday; good hot day and hammered brakes to the point of needing a brake bleed. Attacked them Tuesday nite. On the left front caliper, I noticed one brake pad was significantly farther worn than the other one on that wheel. Pulled the brake pad and noticed that the rubber piston dust/weather shields had totally disintegrated. I assume that the pistons were hanging up on that side and preventing the piston from releasing.

I'm calling a parts house tomorrow; however on reviewing the parts manual, it seems that the only way to get new ones is to get complete piston/hydraulic seal/dust shield assembly. I only need the dust shields, but it appears these are not available. Thoughts?

part nos. for you cheapskates that are too cheap to buy a parts microfiche/CD:

44mm pistons: 928.351.919.10
36mm pistons: 951.351.919.10
Cylinder rebuilding paste: 000.043.117.00

Archive search didn't turn up anything under "piston shield" or "dust shield"
Old 08-07-2002, 04:33 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
[QB]I'm calling a parts house tomorrow; however on reviewing the parts manual, it seems that the only way to get new ones is to get complete piston/hydraulic seal/dust shield assembly. I only need the dust shields, but it appears these are not available. Thoughts?

part nos. for you cheapskates that are too cheap to buy a parts microfiche/CD:
<hr></blockquote>

The only place I've found that sells individual seals is <a href="http://www.prospeedmotorsport.com" target="_blank">http://www.prospeedmotorsport.com</a> . For the porsche/brembo rebuild kit (piston, dust seal, pressure seal) for my 93 RSA (951.351.919.10 (36mm) 951.351.919.11(40mm)) I paid $22.40 from a porsche dealer (maybe even pelican, can't remember) If you find another source for just the seals, please let me know.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray

If you have a moment I'd be interested in your impressions of BeaveRun .......
Old 08-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wink

Called up my favorite Porsche parts house - Hoehn Porsche out in La-la land ( 760-438-0311). Seals avail. independently ($5.42 and $7.16 for each size). Didn't ask for part nos.

JasonAndreas' Prospeed recommendation had them for $7.50 apiece.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:50 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Hey numnut do it right--replace the whole unit. Don't be a cheapskate.
For everyone else, see Ray's classic response to my post on my M030 sway bar post. Cheers
Old 08-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wink

From Don Magee [quote]Hey numnut do it right--replace the whole unit.<hr></blockquote>

YOU were after optimal handling, and looking at getting the PSS9 (right term?) setup. BUT, you did a M030 replacement (W/O Euro springs!) and then complained about the handling!

I looked at the pistons (exercized them by installing worn pads, pushed brake pedal to extend them, then pushed them back into the caliper and used the brake pedal to extend them again). They looked OK to me, no wear/corrosion marks. Have no leakage problems. So, see no reason to pull the pistons and replace them along with the seals. In any case, have done that job before on other cars and would NOT be looking forward to doing it on a 4-piston caliper while the caliper is either still on the car or removed to work on a workbench.

Keep trying!!!!!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Actually, I was not meaning to convey any complaint about the M030 sway bars. They are a distinct improvement even with the stock setup. I made my post mostly to let others know that , unlike what people say happens when you use euro m030 springs w/o changing shocks, the sway bar only route is a good temporary salve for those who long for the real deal. I agree with you that the euro m030 setuo is more than enough for most of us.

Quick Reply: Front brake piston seals - available individually?