Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any experience with late model Beck Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OT: Any experience with late model Beck Spyder?

Interesting car. I'd like to know if it's any good. Quality. Performance. Quirks...
Old 08-05-2004, 01:01 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
Interesting car. I'd like to know if it's any good. Quality. Performance. Quirks...
Go to the 356 Forum and check out the replica thread. It may help.....
We have a fellow PCA member here in Little Rock who is selling his.
Don't know very much about the car, but can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

JoAnne
Old 08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car & Driver tested the Beck several years ago and used some interesting phrases to describe the car's handling. My favorite is: "Looking at it parked in the pits makes it want to swap ends." Apparently the suspension design is very faithful to the original, with all the good and bad that entails. The compete article is located here .

BTW I've never driven one, but have seen a few up close. The workmanship was outstanding.

-John
Old 08-06-2004, 01:19 AM
horizontally opposed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John-
Fwiw...

I've been around Beck Spyders/Speedsters a fair bit. I've driven both and find the quality to be quite good. Your frame of reference MUST be kit-car, however. Don't get me wrong, this is an EXCEPTIONAL car when approached from that frame of reference and I doubt you'll find a better engineered/better built reproduction of this sort. Beck tries hard to be faithful to the original cars and manages MUCH of the thrill and most of the appearance of their authentic brethren. Torsion tube front ends and swing arm rear axles are, well, what they are. Frame is very stiff and over-built in my opinion. The fiberglass bodies and their paint work are exceptional. Fit and finish is really as good as it gets in this type of set-up. (far superior to that of Superformance Cobras, in my opinion) Motors are provided by CB performance and are dual-port VW type 4's with Webers. Horsepower to weight ratio is as outrageous as you'd suspect and performance is accordingly far superior to the originals.

If you're considering a kit car... (Beck must HATE being referred to this way) err... "reproduction", I don't think you can go wrong with a Beck. Hell, you'll never own a real Spyder for <$30k! Good Luck and check out the previously posted C&D review, it's pretty impressive.

As always, ymmv.
Cheers!

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...
If you're taller than about 5'10" or a large person, in general, forget the Spyder, it's really tight. The Speedster is considerably larger inside.

Quick Reply: OT: Any experience with late model Beck Spyder?