993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Checkered Floors for Garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

There are some older threads on this. However, I used 12"x12" Armstrong composition tiles from Home Depot, in two colors (not black and white but blue and white), and did it myself 9 years ago. I don't use jack stands but the tile has held up extremely well. And if you did damage a tile, its easy to pull it up and replace it. The cost is very inexpensive - $300 or so sounds about right for a two-car garage.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:05 AM
LeeR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, rather than black and white, I did gray and white, as it's easier to see little things like screws that are dropped on the gray tile, as opposed to the black. Plus the gray reflets a little light so it helps keep the gargae brighter. The tiles are available in a lot of colors and shades, so there's no limit to the designs if you want to go a little crazy.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Bokonon
Instructor

Yeah mine are not very durable at all but is very easy to clean up. I've had to replace a few. Mine are actually 12x12 and I just put 4 of the same color together. Griots sells a jackstand with flat feet that limit the amount of damage they do to the floor. Haven't got one yet tho to try out.
-terry
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I have not had any problems with using floor jacks or jack stands on my racedeck. It is strong stuff. The problem I see that happens once in a while is water and dirt going through to the floor. In CA where I am, it is not a problem; however, I am moving to Colorado and will not use the stuff where I might be driving a dirty snow filled car into the garage. I will go for plain tile. Racedeck for sale (B/W with German Flag colors too)
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Not to change the subject, but did anyone notice during Le Mans when the Corvette team (I THINK it was corvette) had to roll the car into the garage, they had to furiously tear out the tiles to get it to go on the rollers? My first thought was, "ooh. bad from a marketing standpoint." The good news (from a marketing standpoint) was that they had to show the inside that garage a bunch of times during the race...
Old 08-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Agro1
Terry - can you give us some more info on the Home Depot tiles ? Install, durability, etc...
They are self-adhesive so VERY easy to install. I had those lines in the garage between the slabs (not sure the official name for those grooves). I had to fill those in using some stuff from Home Depot. Then sanded it smooth. The hardest part was lining up the first few tiles but after that it all went together very quickly as you get in the groove. You have to clean up the cement beforehand but nothing like you need to do for painting (which was the other option I was considering).

My inspiration was this site: http://www.slk32.com/pages/garage/Garage/garage.html

good luck!
-terry
Old 08-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

How dry is (was) your garage floor before you had the glue-on Home Depot Tiles put in?

I get some staining from what appears to be moisture on the surface of the garage floor. I am thinking of doing the glue on tiles but am worried about the masic lifting just like the epoxy floor paint. I am having a tough time figuring out what to use. I am sure paint is out as there is enough moisture to cause it to lift. So maybe the tiles will work. Any body with a garage that changes color when it rains?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
How dry is (was) your garage floor before you had the glue-on Home Depot Tiles put in?

I get some staining from what appears to be moisture on the surface of the garage floor. I am thinking of doing the glue on tiles but am worried about the masic lifting just like the epoxy floor paint. I am having a tough time figuring out what to use. I am sure paint is out as there is enough moisture to cause it to lift. So maybe the tiles will work. Any body with a garage that changes color when it rains?

Thanks
My washing machine water return line busted and spewed a bunch of soapy water all over the garage for a few hours a couple weeks back. Was a nice easy way to clean up the tiles, and I didn't experience any lifting. Also instructions recommended using soapy water to clean them. Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but I would imagine it would hold up fairly well. Though I wonder if the combo of water/cold would cause further problems. Doesn't get very cold around here.
-terry
PS: Of further note, my Corvette was leaky transmission fluid & engine oil onto it for months on end. I backed the car up and the oil just cleaned right up with soap/water. 99% of it came right up. There were a few stain areas but I didn't try anything stronger to remove them. Corvette just went back over it anyway. Worst case I throw another 70 cents at it. If you are doing a lot of hard wrenching I am wondering how well these will hold up however. I'll be removing the engine from the Vette within the next few months and doing a lot of engine/tranny work so we'll see...
Old 08-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Terry,

I was asking about moisture from underneath but it sounds like they got flooded pretty good. The moisture from underneath happens when it rains a lot in winter.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2004, 01:03 PM
LeeR
Racer

Bruce, concrete is porus and moisture under the slab will affect the bond. That's why concrete slabs should be poured over a moisture barrier, usually plastic sheeting, between the soil and the concrete. I first tried epoxy paint on my floor, and even with professional multi-step applications, it wouldn't last more than one year before peeling off in sheets. Paint manufacturer sent out a rep, they redid the application twice after the original application, and still no long term adhesion. They decided it was the moisture coming up through the concrete that was causing the epoxy paint to peel. (My home was built in 1949, and I think the concrete was poured on top of the soil without a waterproof barrier).

With the tile and epoxy cement, I've had no problem after about 4 years.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow,

Thanks Lee!

I am leaning to the non-self adhesive commercial tiles. The PO of our house used them in the downstairs garage and they are fine. But that garage doesn't get the amount of use the main garage gets. I am not sure of the moisture in the lower garage so I cannot tell if they will work upstairs so your data point is very much appreciated.

I was also thinking of a vinyl mat for the spots where the cars drive on and then Kiwi Tiles or the RaceDeck tiles around the edges. I have about 500 sq ft so I am not sure I want to afford the Kiwi tiles for the whole garage. Of course if I ever moved, I could take them with!

Quick Reply: OT - Checkered Floors for Garage