"Restoring" Polar Silver paint to it`s former glory

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Restoring" Polar Silver paint to it`s former glory

Dear all

I have a `95 Polar Silver C2 that has seen about 80`000 miles and no abusive car washes. It still cleans up very nice but I want to really get it to sparkle.
My family have left for a trip so I have a few day of "me" time to indulge in the car, somehting I never do normally.

I was given one of those T-cut style products that is especially for silver metallics a year ago as a present but I never trusted it to be that good and did`nt want to risk messing up the paint.

In the past I have seen various arguments for polishes - Zaino, Zymol etc and their various competitors. Zaino seemd to get good ratings with a "wet" look to the paintwork afterwards.

What products go best for Polar silver and in what order should I use them?

Any Polar Silver owners care to comment?

Best Wishes

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 08:09 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Mike,

Zymol's HD Cleanse followed by Titanium wax should work miracles to your paintwork, and give it depth, shine and protection - even better than new!

Best regards

Emilios
Old 07-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Hello Emilios

You can`t sleep either eh? ;-) Yours is the first suggestion so I will probably go with the weight of opinion on this. 1 point to Zymol.

Thanks for responding.

Best regards

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 08:19 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

After you get rid of most of the swirl marks. I recomend P21s paint enhancing glosswork cleancer followed by wax ( I uss one grand blitz wax). The p21s stuff really adds a nice shine and depth in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:21 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

What are T-cut type products?

The basis for any outstanding paint detailing is preparation of the paint surface. I like using a clay bar first if the surface is not absolutely smooth to the touch when you run your hand across the surface.

After claying, a paint cleaner should be used. I like Mothers pre wax cleaner. Many other companies make their own brand of paint cleaners. Zymol has it's followers with HD Cleanse.

From there your surface is ready to accept the wax/polish of your choice.

I've used Zaino, Zymol, Pinnacle and will be trying RejeX shortly. Of these, I've liked Zaino for it's longer lasting protection. For our color cars, the wet look type of polishes/waxes does work best, IMHO.

Good luck... post some pics when you're done!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used RejeX on my 95 polar silver 993 and all that I can say is wow! It looks fantastic!
Old 07-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I use the Zaino system and try not to take up my whole day by waxing the car. Looks good, lasts a long time and can be "renewed" with the Zaino spray stuff.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

dont forget polar silver has a clear coat so go easy on the cutting. Also, one thing to note is that silver just wont ever have the deep lustre of the darker coloured cars.....
Old 07-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Thanks Harold. How long does a clear coat last? Can it wear down over time or is it as strong as the paint?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:08 PM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car detailing

I always take mine to a professional that has his own patented formula that is along the lines of Zainos because it is not really a wax. The website is www.graniteautogrooming.com. It costs $250 (called "high-gloss"), but is gauranteed to last six months or they'll reapply it free. My jaw dropped the first time I saw my car after having it done, it looked like it was dripping wet and made all my previous washes look like nothing compared to it.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the full Zaino treatment yourself. Sounds like you have the time to get to know all of the nooks and crannies of your car, it is really good therapy.

I'm very happy with the results on my Polar Silver C4S, and many have complemented the looks of the car. I'm especially pleased when someone asks the year of my car, and their jaw drops when I say "It's a 96...". Try it: Dawn, Clay Bar, Zaino prep, 2-3 coats of sealer. You'll love it.

Quick Reply: "Restoring" Polar Silver paint to it`s former glory