993 Forum 1995-1998

First DE event and 993s rule

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 06:04 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First DE event and 993s rule

I attended my first DE at Second Creek with the RMR PCA. It was awesome. As a first timer, I was in the slowest group and there was a ton to be learned. The instructor was very helpful and was able to keep me in "line".
What was amazing was the "Black" run group which consists of the fastest Porsches. There was only one 993 in this group of about 12-15 cars and it was fast (or should I say the driver was fast). Besides the bona-fide race Porsche, he had the fastest times (until an unfortunate problem with his gear shift sticking in third).
Anyway, the moral of the story is: Get to a Drivers Ed in your area. You will love it and you'll be amazed (or maybe not) at what your 993 will do on the track.
Old 07-15-2001, 07:56 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miller - I've run my '87 Carrera several times on the track at DE events, and it's about as much fun as I think I've ever had. It really makes you appreciate what these cars were made for. I've recently aquired a '97 C2S, and I'll be trying it out next month at a DE event. I'm a little paranoid about taking this cream puff out there, but not enough to overcome my curiosity about the difference between it and the older 911. At the events I've attended, the 993's do extremely well (or, as you say, their drivers do). Glad you're having fun!

Will
Old 07-16-2001, 03:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Will,

You have a treat in store for you. I had a 80 SC time trial car/DE car. It just so happens that my neighbor built a near duplicate to my old car. We went out to a DE at the Streets of Willow in CA, he drove my 97 C2, I drove he 78 SC DE car for a few laps. His comments when he came in..."my grandmother could drive this car well." Granny would be very pleased with the power steering, ABS brakes (Big Reds), LSD, and 282 horsepower. In addition, Granny would like the coil over suspension and the Weissach rear end that tends to overcome some driver error...kinematic toe is a term that 993 drivers will come to appreciate.

Get out to DE...you just won't believe the difference between 3.2 Carrera handling and power compared to a 3.6 C2, night and day, IMHO, of course.

Martin

Quick Reply: First DE event and 993s rule