Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Slightly OT: Fun Roads in SoCal?

Old 06-23-2004, 10:44 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Slightly OT: Fun Roads in SoCal?

Today marks the beginning of my third month of 993 ownership, and I couldn't be happier. Well, an "S" front end and a ROW suspension would be nice, but I digress ...

I had the opportunity to take Mulholland from the 405 to where it ends in Universal City, my first real opportunity to drive somewhere that hadn't been laid out in a grid. When I wasn't stuck behind SUVs, dodging dog-walking pedestrians and avoiding oblivious bicyclists, I had a nice time without having to drive recklessly on that heavily-traveled road. I even saw a silver Carrera GT going the other way. It got me thinking, though. Since I it will probably be quite a while until I get to a DE day (my wife is still getting used to the whole idea of having a Porsche in the garage in the first place; going on the track is going to take another several years of prep work, I'm sure), my fun for now will come from jaunts on undulating country roads. Those of you in SoCal must know of some public roads that are fun for the occasional spirited romp. I'd be interested to hear about them. I'd also be interested to know if, in your experience, such roads are frequented by the police. Um, you know, in case I need assistance or something (yeah, that's it ... ). Seriously, though, I'm only thinking in terms of 8/10ths driving here, not gonzo canyon racer behavior, which I'll save for the track ... someday. Not trying to be irresponsible here, just looking for some nice Sunday drives.

Just to show that I'm a giver as well as a taker, I would nominate Highway 41 between Atascadero and Highway 46, which is undoubtedly old news to you Central Coast folks. I've had many fun trips on that stretch: lightly traveled, twisty and quick, and beautiful scenery. I think the last time I was on that road was in my '81 Scirocco, so it would be interesting to go that way again in something that has a smidge more power and grip!

Last edited by 993Dave; 06-24-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:59 PM
JP911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try driving Angeles Crest (route 3) out of La Canada. The twisties and the views are fantastic, just make sure to watch out for the motocycle guys and the occasional cop. Mulholland Drive is also a blast, but lower speed than route 2. Enjoy and be safe!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

i like sunset Blvd, from the 405 to PCH, Angeles crest, chevy chase from La Canada to Glendale.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:56 AM
nman413
Drifting

You know you could always just go to the track too, "unsanctioned track day" per se
Old 06-24-2004, 02:08 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're kidding right? How have you missed our posts for "So Cal Malibu Fun Runs" Addison is the organizer, I am the official HWMFR tour guide. Our runs are safe and sane, no where near 8/10ths (closer to 6/10ths) others can chime in on the math.

We meet Sunday mornings at 7:00 too early for walking the dog, and the cyclists and bikers have not finished their morning coffee so we often have the roads to ourselves for the first hour.

Roads you should drive:

Mulholland Hwy from Topanga Canyon all the way to PCH
Latigo Canyon from PCH to Kanan
Up Stunt rd. from Mulholland to "top of the World"
Encinal Canyon
Decker Canyon
Old Topanga Canyon
Las Flores to Rambla Pacifica to Piuma (talk about your ocean views)
Cold Canyon between Mulholland and Piuma

Master these and I'll give you some more...or join us on a run some time.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, Fbfisher is correct. I usually coordinate these little 6/10th drives and Fred executes. I think the next one will be the second week in July. Look for a Malibu Fun Run post coming up on the next week or so.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:32 AM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Fbfisher: thanks for the heads up on the Malibu Fun Runs. I'd heard about the bigger trips like the recent Rumble, but I didn't know that you had a regular gig going. I'll have to drop in sometime.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. A few I've done, most I haven't. I really appreciate the guidance (and I'll adjust my math ... 6/10ths is probably far more appropriate for me!).

Cheers to all.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a series of roads where one can flog, flog and flog driving as fast as they dare without any oncoming traffic and no change of legal trouble....

Streets of Willow!!

Once you drive a track day, you wont want to drive on the edge anywhere else
Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Geez, Chris, you're no help! I fear the slippery slope ... it doesn't apply just to suspension bits. I'm pretty sure that a weekend at Willow may ruin me for civilian driving. You start at the Streets of Willow, work up to timed track events; pretty soon you're getting fitted for a Nomex suit and looking around for that project car that would make a nice weekend racer ...
Old 06-24-2004, 08:45 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

You really need to take the old road 23 up through Moorpark to the 126 west to the 150 and up to Ojai. Thne you can jump on the 101 and come home. It's a nice ride and can be done in 3-4 hours, depending on hom much you stop to see Ojai, etc.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:39 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by 993Dave
Geez, Chris, you're no help! I fear the slippery slope ... it doesn't apply just to suspension bits. I'm pretty sure that a weekend at Willow may ruin me for civilian driving. You start at the Streets of Willow, work up to timed track events; pretty soon you're getting fitted for a Nomex suit and looking around for that project car that would make a nice weekend racer ...
Dave, your right, I was not much help, really.

Sounds as though you know the wicked path most all of us drive down.

When I got my car, I had absolutely no desire to track it, then I joined the PCA and entered a little, inocent autox... That was kewl, I thought to myself. Then came my first DE, at California Speeday no less. Even KEWLER

I still enjoy both autox and DE and have given the spec944 racing some serious thought! Trouble is, I really need a tow vehicle and trailer for that, then worse....a place to keep it

SoCal real estate is not the largest plots of land, as you prolly know. Although I do have a sideyard that has enough room for my trash cans...wait a minute, maybe I could take apart a car trailer and tow vehicle after every event and store it back there?
Old 06-27-2004, 06:15 PM
D. G.
Track Day

Almost all of the major motorcycle and car magazines are headquartered in Los Angeles. This is not an accident. Los Angeles area arguably has the best variety of twisty mountain and canyon roads, coupled with year around good weather, of any major city in the country.

The Santa Monica mountains are laced with roads. The Angeles Crest is awesome. Go north on 33 from Oaji, cut east to to Gorman, then east again to the Angeles Forest. You can easily go out for a 400 mile Sunday drive and be in twisty road heaven the entire time.

I am not saying that other areas don't have great roads, or that a particular road somewhere else isn't better than something in L.A. But the variety of roads in the L.A. area is hard to beat.

I am also not advocating driving irresponsibly or illegaly, but just pointing out that anyone who lives in L.A., especially in the northern region, owes it to him/her self to get out and explore the excellent selection of roads.

O.T. How do I get rid of 'user' by name? My RLM# is 040625-3893
Old 06-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

As usual, Fred is spot on. But one word of caution: be careful of your speed on Kanan. Don't ask me how I know.

Happy motoring!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
jusafan
Instructor

fbfisher's list is very good. I especially like the Mulholland to PCH run from Topanga. Beautiful views, nice twisties, and then you can make a stop for a bite to eat in Mailbu on the way back. But if you go down his list, you'll have several good runs you can make.

Maybe we can coordinate on this website and I'll join you sometime with my car.

In any event, safe travels!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

you guys only drive 6/10's? maybe I should join you then. Aside from the minor detail of my car missing half an engine at the moment, I always thought I couldn't (read: wouldn't be willing to, never thought i would say that too) keep up.
~Eyal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Fun Roads in SoCal?