993 Forum 1995-1998

Manuals vs. Reality

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Manuals vs. Reality

I have two instances where I'd like peoples opinion on what the book says and what they really do.

1) The owner's manual says to coat the wheels with vaseline. Has anyone done that?

2) The shop manual says to replace the bolts that hold the caliper on to the suspension whenever they are removed. I reused mine this weekend after replacing the pads. Problem?
Old 07-10-2001, 01:43 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure about the vaseline part... Used it for other things but never on wheels.... :P

As for the caliper mounting bolt, I would say that's strictly a personal call. I have been reused my bolts going on 45000 miles now. I think the next time when I replace my brake pads I will replace them at the same time.

I would think that the shop manual recommend replacing the bolts because of the heat level the bolts are subjected to (near the caliper) and the possibility of quicker metal fatique. And another possibility if that the bolt material is different from the caliper, difference in alloy?
Old 07-11-2001, 12:48 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1)I leave the Vaseline for my body, not my 993's. I DO coat any nut/bolt that comes off with anti-seize before reinstalling, tho.

2) Good point on the caliper bolts; I have had these out prob. 3 times to replace rotors without replacing these bolts. I intend to replace them soon, tho - better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:51 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curtis,

I used to rub a little Vaseline, as recommended, into a set of old forged wheels (clear anodized) on my 911SC. It made them look like new and protected them from further corrosion. You rub it on and then completely rub it off.

I would replace caliper bolts when I could get them but did not worry when I could not.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 07-11-2001, 03:36 AM
My Q Ship
Intermediate

Curtis,
I believe the reason the shop man. instructs you to replace the bolts everytime you remove them is because the bolts have a "dacromet" coating (green) on them. When you remove them them finish comes off(on the threads and under the head of the bolt) and thus the torque achieved is incorrect and there is a corrosion issue. I have reused them without issue, but I'm pretty sure if Porsche didn't put this in print-can you say "LAW SUIT"-They would leave the door wide open.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:13 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Talking

Ray,
I probably could've gone all day without conjuring the image of you rubbing vaseline on your body!
Old 07-11-2001, 06:17 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Curtis,

Didn't expect the graphic image of a slicked-up Ray, huh?

I used Vaseline as instructed by the factory TSB to lube the updated front sway bar bushings before installing. I'm sure another lubricant would have fine, but I tried to follow instructions like a good boy.

It seems like the factory thinks pretty highly of good ole' Vaseline.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

ON the wheels.... As regards using Vaseline on wheels, what is the purpose? Do you guys use them ON the wheels to help in cleaning or some other reason. I am not talking about nuts and bolts btw.

As regards simply keeping wheels clean, waxing them helps in the easier removal of brake dust NOT that I have done this on my 993 as yet or even that I intend to do it.

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>..................

It seems like the factory thinks pretty highly of good ole' Vaseline.</STRONG>
Good old Vaseline... funny but I realised I only know of Vaseline in the context of its recommendation on cars and when it was used, allegedly, in a ball game years back to shine up, increase swing and mesmerise batsmen! I've yet to hear of it being used by for its true intended purpose whatever that might be.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I read somewhere the caliper bolts need to be replaced because they get "stretched out" when you torque them as it goes into the aluminum carrier, which presumably is a stronger material.

The bolts are 3 bucks each at sunset, so no reason not to replace.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Aluminum is not stronger than steel bolts are made from. Other bolts such as head bolts, flywheel bolts do get stretched and should be replaced. I have never replaced caliper bolts in the past.

Not sure if this relates to replacing caliper bolts, but interesting read on why thiis an important topic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...iper-bolt.html
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

lol, necrobump
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by vincer77
^^ Aluminum is not stronger than steel bolts are made from.
Pretty sure that's wrong, but happy to be corrected.

If it was the other way around, we would be replacing the wheel carrier instead of the bolt. Torque spec is for the stretched steel bolt.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, necrobump
Oh well. If not necrobump it's "what's xxx worth" and "hear my fabspeed with xxx muffler"
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol ^ right?!

side question... i dont understand how the bots write such concise posts though. there is no post in this thread that was copy and pasted by the bot to create that post.

side bet... i also bet with vince that steel is stronger
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by NYC993
Pretty sure that's wrong, but happy to be corrected.

If it was the other way around, we would be replacing the wheel carrier instead of the bolt. Torque spec is for the stretched steel bolt.
Are you saying aluminum is stronger than steel?

Quick Reply: Manuals vs. Reality