993 Forum 1995-1998

Belly Pan removal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 12:08 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Question Belly Pan removal.

Took the car in this morning to install mufflers and the tech suggested removing the belly pan to help dissipate some heat. Have you guys done this or recommend? He said they had to remove it anyway so i told him to just leave it off. If you could let me know I'd appreciate it so I can call him and tell him to leave it on if necessary. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2001, 12:19 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is an old topic that have been discussed many times in the past. The concensus is that do whatever you wish. Porsche said the pan is for more aerodynamic reasons, but our conclusion is that it is more for noise reduction (that's why none of the factory Porsche supercup race car have them on) If you decide to leave it off make sure you also unbolt the pan bracket under the middle of the engine, it gets easily bent. My pan is off during summer to keep the engine cooler but I install it back during winter since I want the car to warm up quickly.

Below is a picture of the bracket that you should remove if you are going to leave the pan off.

Old 07-05-2001, 12:30 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks Robin. I appreciate the quick response!

Quick Reply: Belly Pan removal.