928 to 993 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 04:40 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Question 928 to 993 Cabriolet

Well, hoping I can find a new home here on the 993 list. I just traded my very pride and joy 1985 928S in for a 1996 993 Cabriolet.

Looking forward to learning alot about 993 ownership with this group. I have my first dilema tonight with my 993.

My factory alarm does not activate nor does it unlock the doors when I press the remote button. The light on the door blinks once when I press the button but it does nothing.

Additionally, the passenger door does not unlock when I open the door with the key nor am I able to open the passenger door from the outside. I am only able to open it from the inside with the door release. Nor does the console door switch (lock/unlock)operate. Anybody have a clue what is happening here?

Also the compartment light does not come on when the light switch is in the "C" position (light on when door is open). I am wondering if, like the 928, one electrical problem is often related to the improper operation or failure of something else.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:41 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the 993 club. I know from your posts in the 928 area that you will be a valuable member here. I am also new to the 993 coming over from the 986 area.

Anyway, sound like you are having the same problems I am. My locking system/lights/alarm has been narrowed down to the alarm system the car has. It's not the Porsche factory alarm anymore or a Code Alarm as the sticker on the window suggests, it's a Viper alarm. Somewhere along the way the installation got messed up from all the changes I guess.

I found some very high-end stereo places in the yellow pages for my area and just started calling to see who was familiar with my car and the alarm.

I will be taking it to them to have everything re-worked. If the alarm is broken or can't function like I want it to, I will have them put in whatever it takes to:

1. Protect the car
2. Lock and unlock both doors remotely
3. Turn on the int. lights when I open the door(s)
4. Go "beep-beep"

You may want to do the same thing. Call around and let someone who knows fix your problems. You could do more damage than good and it can be a real nightmare trying to figure out the source of the problem.

Welcome again. You will LOVE your 993. I do!

Sean
Old 07-01-2001, 02:38 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Thanks Sean. I think my problems are with the factory alarm. However, are you saying that there really was no such thing as a "factory alarm"? That suprises me becuse the key and one of the guages in my instrument cluster seem to be interfaced with this alarm as if it were from the factory and not an aftermarket device. Or maybe you mean thet Viper and Code alram intalled these with Porsche at the factory.

Either way I taking your advice and I am back to the dealer with this car to have them go through it properly!

It all seemes really jacked up at the moment. In fact, I cannot even start the car unless I turn the key in the ignition until the instrument cluster lights up and then press the alarm button on the key to diable the starter disengage. I am used to 928 electrical gremlims (I expected them in a 20 year old Porsche) but this would be very disheartning if my 5 year old 993 suffers the same.

Thanks for responding, I was afraid for moment that I would not get a response to this question.

p@

'96 993 Cabriolet
'00 328i
'01 325i
Old 07-01-2001, 04:35 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pat
Congratulations on your purchase.
Your 1996 has Porsche's DriveBlock system consisting of alarm, remote entry/central locking & engine immobilizer. It's explained on pages 17-22 of your owner's manual. If you don't have a manual, buy one from your P dealer or from my-porsche.com.

With DriveBlock, except for a remote malfunction, your doors should not be opened w/the key (that's why the keyholes are covered w/plastic). Other than with a key activated, convoluted emergency procedure, only the remote can deactivate the immobilizer. That's why you can't start your car with the key until you use the remote - extinguishing the immobilizer (not the alarm) warning light in the clock. It seems your immobilizer is operating, but not your alarm or central locking. Hopefully, your P dealer will find the problem fast & it'll be inexpensive (right!).

BTW, I assume there's a good battery in the remote & you've tried both remotes that came w/the car. A suggestion from the manual is to operate the remote 3 times w/in 10 sec holding it close to the window. Good luck.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]
Old 07-02-2001, 03:45 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello pat, I too have seen your posts for your "old" 928 .welcome to the 993 board. !.I have the "block system" on my 98 c4s.at times it can be a real pain...but from what i have heard....it is quite a system...the first thing i did was replace the batteries in the remote, I have not had a problem since......good luck
Old 07-03-2001, 05:39 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a factory alarm for the 993. The guy who owned the car before me decided to change to an aftermarket alarm for some reason and did it twice.

I have yet to take it to the shop to have everything fixed. It's a pain, but for now open the driver's door, hit the central lock button, get out, close the drivers door, manually lock it then arm the alarm with the remote button. The doors both unlock though when I hit the disarm button on the remote. Weird huh?

Sean
Old 07-04-2001, 04:32 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Changed the Battery,and tried holding the remore close to the door locks while pressing the buttom 3 times for three seconds and this sucker is still JACKED up

p@

Quick Reply: 928 to 993 Cabriolet