Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

sunroof stopped working - will not retract

Old 07-12-2002, 11:55 AM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Post sunroof stopped working - will not retract

My sunfroof will not retract.....its not an electrical or motor problem. Whats happening is that the rear portion on the drivers side begins to go down while the passenger side back portion remains up. As a result the roof gets jammed (cocked) and will therefore not retract. It appears that either the track that the roof rides on or some other mechnical aspect is damaged or out of alignment.

I attempted to put some slight pressure on the back passenger side while opening the sunroof but it would not budge.

I know u can open the zipper in the head liner and manually operate the roof but I am not sure that that will allow me to open the roof first offand I imagine that it does nothing to resolve the problem that exists anyway.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone have this experience before? Anyone have a view of the components that make up the assembly that I can look at?

Thanks in advance to all.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

Sounds like you have a broken cable.

There are two (one each side).

It is not a pretty job to replace either one.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:08 AM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Sounds like it is the passenger side cable. Can that be replaced through the zipper in the liner overhead or do you think you have to remove the entire head liner?
Old 07-13-2002, 03:42 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

[quote]Can that be replaced through the zipper in the liner overhead or do you think you have to remove the entire head liner?<hr></blockquote>

Only partially; remainder has to be accessed thru the headliner on the sunroof. It pries out with the sunroof partially open; then you got to take out the sunroof and remove the cable. What I did on my old '84.

Procedure was described in my old 911 shop manual; I did it on my '84. No description in the 993 shop manual, so I guess there wasn't any change in procedure. Might look for a Haynes shop manual for an old 911 on Ebay or such; procedure is prob. described in there.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:32 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

how does one actually remove the sunroof?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

Open the roof just a smidge if you can, then pry loose the front edge of the sunroof panel headliner piece. It is held on via clips/pushpins. Once it is unhooked from the leading edge of the panel, you can slide that section of headliner back.

You will see all of your sunroof panel removal bolts once the vinyl section is pushed back.

Go @ it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sunroof stopped working - will not retract