Sponsored by:

G-Tech results: Octane difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill: Basically I'm doing what you describe. I'm rolling with the clutch fully engaged before I stomp on the accelerator. I thought that the fact that I already had the car rolling would count for a lot more. i think the test results indicate that the work to overcome the inertia of a stationary car is much less than the penalty paid for being too low on the tach (and having no power) when the test starts.

I wanted to do it this way (G-Tech instead of dyno) for two reasons. I'm too cheap to pay for the dyno time (I also can't see try to explain to my spouse that I spent a couple hundred bucks on dyno testing a chip that I paid a few hundred buck for). I wanted something that I could relate to. What the hell does it mean in the real world that a dyno shows an additional 10 hp? I was hoping to get some numbers that migh have bearing in an autocross.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
*****, here in the Bay area you might want to call Rennwerks. They have a Dynapack Dyno that can be configured for AWD, if they bought the front pods.

Good luck,
Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom do you have a camera and harness bar with camera mount? I was reading that one of the 993TT guys did test runs by filming the speedometer and odometer. He was doing something like 30-90 mph runs and was able to get exact times based on frame count.

A rolling start as you are doing is not going to get you anywhere near the stated 0-60 time for the car (as you know). As you do not want to abuse the clutch, toss that test aside and try something else.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Bill, that's not a bad idea. The rollbar ships middle of next week according to DAS and the camera mount was one of my Christmas presents. I have the digital camera and it's easy enogh to get times off the computer. It will sure generate the data for the new chip, I'm just not sure I want to go through the effort of replacing the old chip and re-doing the timing.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:57 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom

if you have the camera setup and can acquire the data, plug it into the following spreadsheet - it 'seems' to give reasonably accurate estimations of HP.

<a href="http://home.att.net/~jroal/injectors.xls" target="_blank">engine calc spreadsheet by Jim Roal</a>

etering the times for 0-20, 0-30, 0-40 etc will give you a HP & torque plot. YOu need to know Cd, and vehicle mass too.

Good luck

Quick Reply: G-Tech results: Octane difference